PDA

View Full Version : The lousy trigger on a SIG 556

crcksht
May 25, 2011, 11:02
Last weekend I had the opportunity to fire a friend's new Sig 556. The trigger on this weapon is one of the worst I've ever had the displeasure of using. The first stage pull was very long and too stout. It was difficult to tell when the rifle was about to fire. Best I could do from a bench was around a 2 inch, 5 shot group at 50 yards with new production 62 gr. ammo(don't recall the brand). I did better than than with my STG firing surplus ball.

IMO, even a 60 year old Russian SKS has a better trigger than that Sig. $1,500 for a new rifle with a lousy trigger?

Did my friend buy a lemon, or do they all have crappy triggers?

divkat9
May 25, 2011, 11:14
Trigger on mine is a-okay.

crcksht
May 25, 2011, 11:23
Does your a-okay trigger have half a mile of pull? My friend's trigger felt almost like a double action revolver.

divkat9
May 25, 2011, 11:31
Originally posted by crcksht
Does your a-okay trigger have half a mile of pull? My friend's trigger felt almost like a double action revolver.

No, it's nothing like that. Easy, short take up and breaks quickly. I picked it up used so I have no idea if any work was done to it.

Outlaw Patriot
May 25, 2011, 18:55
Mine has a good bit of travel for the first stage, although it is fairly light and not super long, the second stage breaks crisp and smooth and is maybe only a touch heavy.

What I would complain about is there is a bit more overtravel than I would like and the reset is also a touch longer than I would like but both those are very liveable, if I used the gun at closer targets and tried to shoot faster it would probably be perfect, even as a long range setup it is still fairly good.

Mine will group at about .75" at 50 yards with 40gr varmint rounds, and about 2.25MOA out to about 300 yards with some 55gr ammo, a bit further with heavier bullets, although my data is rougher at those ranges due to wind and my own lack of skill playing bigger roles as distances increase, and heavy bullets costing lots of money.

crcksht
May 26, 2011, 11:10
Did a little digging and it looks like the DMR trigger is a little better at around a 6 pound pull versus an average of 8 pounds for the 556.

I assume you can buy the DMR separately from Sig?

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/4380048842

Stranger
May 26, 2011, 21:17
Last weekend I had the opportunity to fire a friend's new Sig 556. The trigger on this weapon is one of the worst I've ever had the displeasure of using. The first stage pull was very long and too stout. It was difficult to tell when the rifle was about to fire. Best I could do from a bench was around a 2 inch, 5 shot group at 50 yards with new production 62 gr. ammo(don't recall the brand). I did better than than with my STG firing surplus ball.

IMO, even a 60 year old Russian SKS has a better trigger than that Sig. $1,500 for a new rifle with a lousy trigger?

Did my friend buy a lemon, or do they all have crappy triggers?

You are the ONLY person I have ever heard bitching about the 556 trigger in the five years it has been out. Everyone else has praised it.

Yes, it has a longish take-up. So does the 55X and most other military rifles. I consider that to be a good thing. I know exactly where the first stage stops and where the action begins. If a gust of wind comes up I know where to let it float. The break is something like that of a good bolt action (e.g. Remmy 700). I find it to be a perfectly acceptable military-style trigger.

Edited to remove piss and vinegar. Sorry.

crcksht
May 28, 2011, 08:40
If you are satisfied with it, that's all that matters. I was only stating my opinion. I'm very demanding of what I get from a substantial investment.

Considering the expense, the trigger was unacceptable whether for a military rifle or not. The rest of the weapon seemed very tight and was impressive. The trigger just didn't measure up to the rest of the package, in my opinion. Perhaps my friend's Sig just needed some adjustment. If that's as good as it gets, then Sig should have put more R&D into the trigger and less into the fancy folding stock.

This guy is working on a match trigger for it, but there doesn't seem to be any activity lately.

http://www.sigarms556.com/viewtopic.php?t=8104

Outlaw Patriot
May 28, 2011, 16:26
If you are satisfied with it, that's all that matters. I was only stating my opinion. I'm very demanding of what I get from a substantial investment.

Considering the expense, the trigger was unacceptable whether for a military rifle or not. The rest of the weapon seemed very tight and was impressive. The trigger just didn't measure up to the rest of the package, in my opinion. Perhaps my friend's Sig just needed some adjustment. If that's as good as it gets, then Sig should have put more R&D into the trigger and less into the fancy folding stock.

This guy is working on a match trigger for it, but there doesn't seem to be any activity lately.

http://www.sigarms556.com/viewtopic.php?t=8104

I am very curious, would you be so kind as to give me a few examples of rifles you have shot and been pleased with the trigger, either match grade or surplus?

Have you handled other 556's and compared the trigger feel"?

Reason I ask is the trigger is one of the things almost everyone likes about the sigs, even people that arent fond of them overall.

jimmbob
May 29, 2011, 22:18
Originally posted by Stranger

You are the ONLY person I have ever heard bitching about the 556 trigger in the five years it has been out. Everyone else has praised it.

Yes, it has a longish take-up. So does the 55X and most other military rifles. I consider that to be a good thing. I know exactly where the first stage stops and where the action begins. If a gust of wind comes up I know where to let it float. The break is something like that of a good bolt action (e.g. Remmy 700). I find it to be a perfectly acceptable military-style trigger.

Gotta agree 100% w/Stranger. Just bought me 2 of the 556 Sigs within the last month(P556 & Patrol rifle) and love the triggers on both of 'em. Much nicer than my DSA para-tactical, that's fer sure!

Mad Dog 7.62
May 31, 2011, 18:03
Either your bud got one with a horrible trigger, or you were expecting a match quality trigger on a production rifle. I have a 556 with a really nice factory trigger and have handled quite a few others, all had good triggers.

crcksht
June 02, 2011, 07:59
I consider all of the following rifles to have triggers which are superior to the trigger in the Sig which I fired:

M1 Garand (standard trigger, no match conditioning)
M1A (standard)
M1A NM
FAL (with FSE latest gen. hts)
AR15(with both RRA 2-stage and Jewell triggers)
Russian SKS with milled trigger housing
Just about every bolt action rifle I've ever fired, from Brownings to Winchesters

Yes, even the triggers on my WWII workhorse Garands put the Sig to shame.

I was expecting a trigger commensurate with the $1,500 price tag but what I experienced with the Sig 556 was at best a mediocre trigger.

The first thing I thought after firing it was, "Damn, I hope there's an aftermarket trigger for this thing." I didn't say it out loud because I didn't want to make my friend feel bad about his purchase.

An 8 pound pull with a long as heck take-up might be satisfactory for an auto-loading pistol, but not for a $1,500 assault rifle. I'm trying to justify the extra $750 versus an AR but it's just not adding up at least not for me...a piston conversion kit seems the better way to go IMO.

Stranger
June 02, 2011, 21:29

M1A (standard)
M1A NM
Just about every bolt action rifle I've ever fired, from Brownings to Winchesters

Get a life and stop trolling. :rolleyes: When you mentioned that you consider a Russion SKS trigger better than the Sig556 you lost all credibility with me. Were you fingers burned off in a horrible accident?

I have fired many, many firearms in all of the groups you specified. In all of them I have found instances of crappy trigger actions. I bought a Nation Match AR15 from a major manufacturer and the trigger was one of the worst I had ever experienced.

Get over it and tell your "Friend" to clean his rifle.

I suspect you just want to bag on the Sig 556 and are using a fake 'report' to play it up. If that is the case then I will end with , " **** you."

Mad Dog 7.62
June 03, 2011, 00:16
I consider all of the following rifles to have triggers which are superior to the trigger in the Sig which I fired:

M1A (standard)
M1A NM

...a piston conversion kit seems the better way to go IMO.

There certainly are some Garands and M1A's with decent triggers, and I have a RRA match trigger in my AR varmiter thats pretty nice....probably better than on my 556....but its a match trigger. And I don't want some guy with one of those in his AR stacking up behind me. The 556 is a battle rifle, its not supposed to have a match trigger. It does have a very good trigger for a battle rifle. I don't see how you can compare it to an SKS or a FAL...or a bolt rifle, which is a whole different ball of wax. Yes, the set trigger on my CZ .22-250 is very nice, but it does not belong on a battle rifle.
But, if you would rather bet on a "conversion" that may or may not work correctly than on a system that is highly regarded for its engineering and design quallity, good luck to you.

crcksht
June 04, 2011, 11:38
Yes the Russian SKS I owned had a very nice trigger which was superior to the trigger on the Sig which I tested. No doubt about it and I am no f-ing troll. My name does not start with DAB! I was only relating my experience.

Tell my friend to clean his rifle? The thing is brand new and he is still breaking it in(fire one shot, clean and repeat). There's nothing in the action to clean. He has less than 60 rounds down the tube.

"I suspect you just want to bag on the Sig 556 and are using a fake 'report' to play it up. If that is the case then I will end with , " **** you."

Bite me dude. My report was 100% authentic and I have no reason to lie about it.

You'd think I was calling your gf or wife ugly...jeez, did I hurt your little Sig's feelings?

"And I don't want some guy with one of those in his AR stacking up behind me. The 556 is a battle rifle, its not supposed to have a match trigger. It does have a very good trigger for a battle rifle. I don't see how you can compare it to an SKS or a FAL...or a bolt rifle, which is a whole different ball of wax. Yes, the set trigger on my CZ .22-250 is very nice, but it does not belong on a battle rifle. "

I was asked what experience I had with other rifles. I was not putting the Sig in the same class as a bolt action.

You have got to be kidding me. Decent triggers? Every single Garand and M1A I've ever shot have had very good to excellent triggers. I have three of each and have shot others. If these weapons with excellent triggers could safely be used by the US armed forces from WWII through Vietnam, then a Sig with an equivalent quality trigger could also be safely used today. So why put a suck-ass 8+ lb trigger in there?

The Sig is not a battle rifle. In order to be a battle rifle, a rifle must fire a full-powered rifle cartridge(e.g., 7.62 NATO, .30/06, 7mm Mauser, 8mm Mauser, etc.), not an intermediate-powered rifle cartridge such as 5.56 NATO, therefore neither the Sig 556 nor the AR15 are battle rifles. The Sig is in the same class in the AR15 and there are many excellent and safe triggers systems available for it. Too bad for Sig owners that their rifles are not compatible with the plethora of parts available for the AR15 after millions of dollars of investment and decades of research and development by governments and private enterprise alike.

One more note regarding my friend's rifle. The part which holds the folding stock to the side of the rifle is pulling out when he unfolds the stock. Some wonder of engineering, LMAO! Guess he'll have to get out the JB weld, lol.

If you guys are satisfied with your investment, that's all that matters. Shoot it and enjoy.

VonFireball
June 05, 2011, 08:58
Tell my friend to clean his rifle? The thing is brand new and he is still breaking it in(fire one shot, clean and repeat). There's nothing in the action to clean. He has less than 60 rounds down the tube.

I have been watching this thread with some interest as I had recently handled some SIG rifles and thought them to be a pretty nice rig and so was considering maybe putting money down on one when the time comes.

Just to chime in though, it never hurts to clean 'em when you get them. There can be all sorts of junk and gunk and leftover crud in a "new" rifle.

Outlaw Patriot
June 06, 2011, 00:11

M1A (standard)
M1A NM

Yes, even the triggers on my WWII workhorse Garands put the Sig to shame.

I was expecting a trigger commensurate with the $1,500 price tag but what I experienced with the Sig 556 was at best a mediocre trigger.

The first thing I thought after firing it was, "Damn, I hope there's an aftermarket trigger for this thing." I didn't say it out loud because I didn't want to make my friend feel bad about his purchase.

An 8 pound pull with a long as heck take-up might be satisfactory for an auto-loading pistol, but not for a $1,500 assault rifle. I'm trying to justify the extra $750 versus an AR but it's just not adding up at least not for me...a piston conversion kit seems the better way to go IMO.

That is interesting. Stands to reason something is off with the particular sig you shot. Sig's customer service and waranty is still fairly good. I'd give them a call.

My 556 has some minor issues, things that werent THAT big of a deal, but should had never made it out of the factory. I sent it back, sig paid for shipping both ways, and the problems were fixed, and it has been a great rifle.

Good luck to your buddy.

Falws6
June 09, 2011, 10:41
I shot a sig 556 swat along side a smith and wesson m&p15 and felt that the smith had less take up and a slightly smother pull but it was by no means bad. It sounds like you are describing mosin nagant bad, super long mushy pull with a 10lb finale (mosin is my favorite rifle dont hate).

Insider
June 12, 2011, 03:20
My Sig 556 goes bang every time I pull the trigger, I think it has a good trigger pull because it's one of the earlier models. You really don't want a hair trigger on a battle rifle.

hansellhd
June 17, 2011, 21:26
I have a (new) 556 Classic and have no problem at all with the trigger, in fact I think its one of the better ones. I shoot and own many Rifles.

HDH.

moses
June 20, 2011, 13:16
Fellows settle down!!!! The Sig 556 trigger is adjustable, read the 55X manual online and it tells you how to do it.

Page 128 http://www.biggerhammer.net/sigamt/550/sig_500_551_armorers_manual.pdf

They vary out of the box and if adjusted wrong can be a little on the nasty side, but it is an easy fix and you can get it as light a pull as you want it.
Mine left a little to be desired so I adjusted it and now it is probably the nicest trigger pull I have on any of my semi auto rifles.

ftierson
June 20, 2011, 13:59
The one that I have was/is pretty nice out of the box...

Forrest

atp
December 09, 2011, 06:23
Originally posted by moses
Fellows settle down!!!! The Sig 556 trigger is adjustable, read the 55X manual online and it tells you how to do it.

Page 128 http://www.biggerhammer.net/sigamt/550/sig_500_551_armorers_manual.pdf
The trigger on my new Sig-556 Classic seems to be poorly adjusted from the factory. Where's a good place to get the "special wrench" in 5.5 and 7.0 mm sizes as described in the armorer's manual?

FALonious
December 09, 2011, 06:52
Last weekend I had the opportunity to fire a friend's new Sig 556. The trigger on this weapon is one of the worst I've ever had the displeasure of using. The first stage pull was very long and too stout. It was difficult to tell when the rifle was about to fire.

You’ve never fired an MSAR I would guess……makes the worst Sig seem like heaven.

I’ve had 4 556's, one very early one with mostly Swiss parts…I still have that one and one other but only one had an unsatisfactory trigger, the pull was awful and the break was hard to predict. Once it was adjusted it was good to go.

Mad Dog 7.62
January 17, 2012, 01:57
The Sig 556 Patrol rifle I just picked up (there are pics in another thread) had a pretty heavy trigger when I got it. It took a pair of pliers, a 7mm end wrench, and about 60 seconds to solve the problem, by backing off the plunger that sits behind the trigger a bit. That rifle now has a superb trigger....its short and crisp, and is the nicest trigger of all my service type rifles.

Mad Dog 7.62
January 17, 2012, 01:59
The trigger on my new Sig-556 Classic seems to be poorly adjusted from the factory. Where's a good place to get the "special wrench" in 5.5 and 7.0 mm sizes as described in the armorer's manual?

I just used a regular 7mm combination end wrench and a pair of small pliers. Nothing "special" about them!!!

GM4spd
January 17, 2012, 02:58

I agree,if you shoot a lot of military style semi's,I think you will find the
SIG 556 is not too bad, Pete

http://fototime.com/77CA822748D12D1/standard.jpg

hammer12
January 17, 2012, 18:33
I have 2 556s, a scm and a DMR, love em both. I found no issues with either

atp
January 25, 2012, 03:00
I adjusted the "second stage" trigger screw on my Sig-556 Classic, and wow, it's now a great two-stage service rifle trigger! I'm very happy with it.

If you want the 5.5 and 7.0 mm wrenches, Sears carries the #942339 (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00942339000P) Craftsman Metric 10-pc. Midget Combination Wrench Set. However, the little screw and nut aren't under that much tension; you could probably get by with with just two sets of needle nose pliers. Btw, pop open the trigger guard, it makes getting at the little screw a lot easier.

Interestingly, one guy is designing an improved higher quality Sig-556 trigger (http://sigarms556.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8104). I didn't catch exactly how he's dissatisfied with the current trigger, though.

pat701
February 05, 2012, 14:38
My trigger is great the way i got it. Perfect for a battle rifle.

Bravoemike
February 17, 2012, 10:12
crcksht

I have a sig556 Commando,
and, like you I found the trigger quite stiff,
and not very manageable, and not much to my liking.
After researching, I learned they are designed that way!
I will allow the engineers and military to their own devices.

Their are several fixes, and one involves replacing the springs,
...if you search the sigarms forums you will find the vendor.
also, a new trigger assembly is currently under development and should reach the market shortly.

My fix...
as follows, requires a 7mm wrench and a pair of hemostats.
remove the pistol grip, locate the cute little 7mm bolt head directly behind the trigger,
using the wrench and the hemostats to hold the nut behind the spring,
...adjust the nut until, and when the trigger just touches the bolt head, and the trigger breaks.
Or...
if you are lucky enough to find a 3-4 pound spring to replace the factory spring,
you could do that, replace the spring.
The device I speak of, behind the trigger,
is there solely to stiffen the trigger pull,
...and thus help avert an accidental discharge!!

After the adjustment,
...you will find a long take up which is lighter,
and a very crisp let off.

After this adjustment,
we fired about 1000-1500 rounds though the rifle,
with no problems.

I have found my sig commando to be a superb little rifle,
...accurate, dependable and handy!

Yesterday I tried to find a buy a sig556R,
all to no avail.
If anyone knows where a sig556R could be found and purchased,
I remain interested?

Bruce ~~___/)~*~

black sheep
March 07, 2012, 16:33
The trigger on my 556 is SUPERB....better than any I have ever felt!!! After a a liberal amount of take up, comes a distinctly crisp, 4 lb pull that is as clean as ANY , bar none.... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::cool:

pat701
March 21, 2012, 18:23
The trigger on mine is great for a battle rifle, i have no complaints about the trigger. Have your friend spray the trigger mechanism down with brake cleaner, blow the lower out with compressed air, then lube it up well. The brake cleaner takes off ALL lube.

Insider
March 30, 2012, 01:47
Lets not start a flame war over a stupid trigger. One bad trigger doesn't make all SIGs bad.

hansellhd
April 01, 2012, 12:53
Lets not start a flame war over a stupid trigger. One bad trigger doesn't make all SIGs bad.

Yup, The one on my Sig was good to go 1st time I shot it.

http://i1036.photobucket.com/albums/a443/hansellhd/SIG001.jpg

LKY_13
April 05, 2012, 13:46
Say what you will about the 556, but do it after you read the manual...;)

Honestly the 556 is my favorite service rifle, only slightly outpacing the STG-58.