PDA

View Full Version : FN FNC Machine Gun

Chalk_2
April 21, 2011, 03:52
Hi All, I am about 4 months out from owning an Fnc select fire rifle. My question is what precautions should I take as far as caring for the gun? For example a proper oil. Shooting full auto without putting excessive ware on the rifle. This is the first machine gun I have ever owned. Thanks for any input.

K.O.A.M.
April 21, 2011, 10:00
Repeated full auto mag dumps are bad. Using cheap or steel cased ammo can cause problems. Use stuff like SLP-2000 or the LaRue Tactical Machine Gunner's lube. Start stockpiling spare parts. FNC's are a common machine gun and aren't currently manufactured, so parts are at a premium.

heavy_mech
April 21, 2011, 20:45
+1 on the SLP. Ejectors and extractors seem to wear the most. You should enjoy it. I did and they even paid me for it.

Chalk_2
April 21, 2011, 21:26
What about Break Free CLP?

heavy_mech
April 21, 2011, 21:43
Man I need to either get more sleep or glasses. I saw FN and "machine gun" and my mind saw 240 bravo. Also meant CLP, the Cleaner, Lubricant and Protectant they give us for free. It's good stuff and I use it on my personal weapons. M60, 240bravo or FNC, full auto is tough on extractors and ejectors. They're small parts with a ton of stress. Extractors wear and occasionally break. Ejectors wear and I never saw one break Fabrico Nat changed the extractor from double pin to single on the FNC so the "operator" could more easily change it whilst away from the armorer, no? I carried a small Plano 4 space box with these parts for just that reason before such things were frowned upon. Enjoy your new toy. Sounds like fun!

PS - this parts wear was over the course of 1000's of rounds... maybe 10-20k depending

greenpeas
April 22, 2011, 09:48
I lube my M11/9 and Uzi with Castol GTX. I think most super special high $ gun lubricants are BS.

Skilter
April 22, 2011, 12:10
get extra firing pins...

Chalk_2
April 22, 2011, 16:57
Originally posted by Skilter
get extra firing pins... I was told that the firing pin was some what delicate. I plan on ordering a couple from DSA.

Lee Carpentieri
April 23, 2011, 00:20
Follow K.O.A.M.s advice, Yes the firing pin has always been the weak link in the armor of the FNC. CLP sucks as a machinegun weapons lube. It was shoved down our militarys throat during Clintons administration because the owner of Breakfree at the time gave him a big campaign contribution in exchange for the military weapons lube contract back then. I use Tetra Gun Lube as a lube and Shooters choice for cleaning. Bolt and carrrier I use a good old fashion military rifle grease.

Thiers seven countries that have FNC's in inventory and use them currently, But it never went over all that well only due to the high sales cost and the cost to manufacture it under license. Check in the parts section of Sturmgeweher. Com for Vulcan Imports as they always come up with FN made FNC's parts from time to time and our own Fal Files member EX-1 as he always gets FNC parts in from time time also. Otherwise, Have fun.

IRONWORKER
April 23, 2011, 10:20
Originally posted by greenpeas
I lube my M11/9 and Uzi with Castol GTX. I think most super special high $ gun lubricants are BS.

+1 - IMO Mobile 1 oil & grease are as good as a man can get

Chalk_2
April 24, 2011, 00:04
Do you use the Mobile 1 for shooting, and storage? It seems it would gum up if used for storage or no. Also any particular weight?

greenpeas
April 25, 2011, 09:55
Bacon grease!

"what kind of rifle is that?"

"It smells delicious".

idsubgun
April 25, 2011, 14:07
Owned two. Loved the way they handled on full auto but hated the mag changes. The rifle wasn't made for fast mag swaps, IMO.

But, you could load a 30 rounder in it, hold the trigger down and dump all 30 rounds into a target fairly easy because of the weight on the rifle.

"Firing pins can be an issue." That's what I heard as well, back when these first came out, so I paid dearly for extra factory firing pins because that was all there was back then. BUT I never had any issues with the firing pins.

These were the reason I bought a Dillon 650 many moons ago, cuz I was tired of reloading for them with a single stage reloading press.

As for oil, I used whatever I had at the time. I'm sure some of it was CLP, but have had 30 different types over the last 35+ years so can't recall exactly what I used on it. I don't use CLP on anything anymore cuz it's shit, but any good gun oil should work.

Chalk_2
April 25, 2011, 23:48
Thanks for all the replies, I have a good idea what to use now. I'm a little nervous being it will the most expensive firearm I own.

Fn/form
April 26, 2011, 19:10
CLP is alright as long as you can keep it on there. Which isn't long, shooting or not. A cousin of mine was a weapons plt Lt. and they switched to LSA. They had to move red tape mountains, but command was good with it when they saw the huge improvement in 240/249 reliability under real world firing schedules.

SLIP-2000 and SLIP Extreme are good. Not too expensive, either.

I have also been hearing a lot of good about FrogLube from a few people I really respect. Including military users. Probably not something you want "try" if you're already on edge with regard to wear 'n tear. But it's worth a gander.

darvish
October 08, 2012, 20:04
Follow K.O.A.M.s advice, Yes the firing pin has always been the weak link in the armor of the FNC. CLP sucks as a machinegun weapons lube. It was shoved down our militarys throat during Clintons administration because the owner of Breakfree at the time gave him a big campaign contribution in exchange ......

I am not so sure about that.. I think I was isued CLP in the Carter or Reagan admin..... I think it was LSA during the Nixon administation....IIRC.