PDA

View Full Version : Building a G1 - Advice on barrel

johnnycobra
April 19, 2011, 23:30
I got the bug to build a beater.
Originally wanted it worn on the outside, like new on the inside.

So, I intended to use a new Argie barrel, Type 1 receiver, and possibly replace the springs when it was built.

For 922r compliance parts, I was planning to use:
1) Receiver
2-4) HTS
5) US fixed Cocking Handle from gunplumber
6) US Pistol Grip
7)Muzzlebreak if applicable

I wanted to either build something worn and "historically correct" that I wasn't afraid to beat up, or something that looked somewhat "stock" that was lightened and handier.

The barrel that I got has RH threads (was an Argie that the previous owner started to be turned into an L1A1 barrel) and the bipod cut was already removed.

This steered me into thinking I should drop the bipod on the build, and perhaps I should cut the threads off to make an 18" naked barrel. I also planned to use a Carry handle filler.

Since it wouldn't have a bipod or carry handle and some folks say the steel HGs get hot, I then thought, why not install my old L1A1 Handguards or a set of Argie HGs that DSA is selling? The downside of this is it no longer will look like a G1 at all.

Given that I want a handy, stripped G1 that's well loved, here are my options:

Barrel:
1) put a RH Belgian Short Combo on it and leave it full length?
2) Cut to 18" or at least turn off the threads and leave naked
3) Get a bipod cut bbl
4) Cut to 18" & get a Belgian short
5) Ideally cut to 18" and get a G1 lug - not sure who would do this it's not really worth the cost to me without the bipod cut.

Handguards:
6) Keep the G1 Steel HGs
7) Use the L1A1 guards because they are in my possession and work as well as match the kit wear
8) Get the Argies because they are great handguards

I think my preference is to cut the bbl to a naked 18" and use the L1A1 HGs only when I feel like I am going to burn a bunch of ammo. This would make the handiest/lightest, and possibly cheapest combo. Naked bbls seem wrong though and I am unsure if 18" actually affects POI enough to worry at all.

I am also wondering if the use of the original aluminum CH Knob is ok to keep the US manufacture of the CH for compliance, or if someone can point me to a source of new G1 Aluminum knobs if that is an issue.

def90
April 19, 2011, 23:45
This is what I did with my last G1 kit..

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=305805

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_szySx-VL0p8/TY5Peca7epI/AAAAAAAAAXg/zOj8MGcuHJY/s800/P3210002s.jpg

G1 kit, Argy barrel, Belgian flash hider, Imbel handguards..

The aluminum knob on your charging handle doesn't make a difference.. as long as the slide is US marked that's all that matters.

acpat
April 20, 2011, 03:23
where are you located at ? I am considering selling my G1. Mint barrel, DSA G1 receiver. wood stock and pistol grip. Has bipod. Just finished it and am already bored with it

FALonious
April 20, 2011, 05:57
Your barrel is here http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=309130

Lee Carpentieri
April 20, 2011, 07:56
johnnycobra You have the right idea, You can always use the steel handguards for show and install the Argies for shooting or a used pair of Imbels as they surface all the time allot cheaper than the Argies do new. Check out what ACPAT has for sale also.

As for what Def90 did, His looks more like a G-Series which really looks GREAT.
:bow:

BC
April 20, 2011, 20:51
Originally posted by def90
This is what I did with my last G1 kit..

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=305805

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_szySx-VL0p8/TY5Peca7epI/AAAAAAAAAXg/zOj8MGcuHJY/s800/P3210002s.jpg

G1 kit, Argy barrel, Belgian flash hider, Imbel handguards..

That's exactly the FAL I have in mind. My only problem is to find a deserving receiver.

johnnycobra
April 20, 2011, 21:07
Def90, that looks pretty sweet.

Well, I am going to probably try and just put a RH Threaded Belgian short on this one and put the plastic HGs on it for use.

My G1 Kit came in with a few more issues than I was expecting, but still a neat kit.

Handguards are pretty beat, BHO is loose, Butt Swivel is loose, HG Screw appears to be bent or broken, Trigger Guard is loose, Aluminum CH Knob appears to have been gnawed by the sidewalk, rear site is a little more wobbly than I'd like. Sounds worse than it is, overall I am actually ok with the kit since everything but the BHO and screw are usable.

Bolt and Carrier Match in the 6XXXX range
lower is 9XXX
Lower looks like it was paint over park with 99% of the paint gone.
Type 1 (90 degree recoil plate) with B Stock
A couple of deep gouges in the butt and the no-hole buttplate fit is a little funny)
Wood PG.

Do folks usually try to get things like the BHO and Sling Swivel Screw replaced by Apex?

I was just going to chalk it up to luck of the draw since I need a few other little things.
Headed to the marketplace for the stuff I need like the Aluminum knob, swivel and a Type 1 Receiver :)

LaConservationist
April 20, 2011, 21:08
Originally posted by BC

That's exactly the FAL I have in mind. My only problem is to find a deserving receiver.

COONAN HAS you covered! CAll Connie and order the new Type I-C, it will be PERFECT!! $325 for FAL MEMBERS!!!!!

LaC

def90
April 20, 2011, 23:17
Originally posted by johnnycobra
Def90, that looks pretty sweet.

My G1 Kit came in with a few more issues than I was expecting, but still a neat kit.

The rifle above was a Sportsmans Guide G1 kit that was really beat to hell. the buttstock was unusable and many of the remaining parts were pretty worn/beat up. You can massage most of it back to life if you have the skills. The loose sling swivel can be fixed by bending the pin that holds it onto the base, the handguards can be beat back into shape with some body work tools and many of your other issues can be fixed with new springs and so on. It just makes the build a little more fun and interesting. :)

BC
April 20, 2011, 23:39
Originally posted by LaConservationist
COONAN HAS you covered! CAll Connie and order the new Type I-C, it will be PERFECT!! $325 for FAL MEMBERS!!!!!

LaC

Thanks, but that would be too easy. Instead, I will get an imported receiver someday, somehow.

IRONWORKER
April 21, 2011, 08:39
Originally posted by LaConservationist

LaC

You can get a DSA rec for $350 - IMO the extra $25 that a DSA rec will cost you is WELL worth it