PDA

View Full Version : drill bit

adammac
April 18, 2011, 09:01
Anyone know where i can get the proper size bit for drilling a gas port hole?

Slow
April 18, 2011, 09:11
most ACE type or mom and pop hardware stores have them. if not look for machine shop supply like MSC.

you looking for a #40 drill bit or a #41

#40= .0980
#41= .0960

PBR Streetgang
April 18, 2011, 09:25
http://www.harborfreight.com/115-piece-high-speed-drill-bit-set-with-index-528.html

4markk
April 18, 2011, 09:43
I would recommend Cobalt drills. The extra $3 will save you hours of aggravation if you snap off one of those cheap Chinese HSS drills in the gas port. ALSO I highly recommend a drill press. Yes yes, I know you can do it with a handdrill. But if you snap that puppy off we'll hear ya from here!!!!!

gunplumber
April 18, 2011, 10:49
Originally posted by 4markk
I would recommend Cobalt drills. The extra $3 will save you hours of aggravation if you snap off one of those cheap Chinese HSS drills in the gas port. ALSO I highly recommend a drill press. Yes yes, I know you can do it with a handdrill. But if you snap that puppy off we'll hear ya from here!!!!!

+1

IRONWORKER
April 18, 2011, 11:04
Originally posted by 4markk

I successfully drilled 2 by hand, broke a bit off in the 3rd barrel & it was a absolute bastard to get out - I'll NEVER EVER drill another one without a press, while YMMV with a hand drill your luck WILL run out sooner or later :rofl:

gunplumber
April 18, 2011, 11:13
and a cobalt, or better yet, carbide, drillbit can be shattered and the pieces chipped out. A HSS bit will bend instead of shattering and is a nightmare to get out of a gasblock.

adammac
April 18, 2011, 11:29
thanks guys i appreciate the info

bykerhd
April 18, 2011, 16:46
Put an old aluminum cleaning rod in the barrel before you start drilling.

That way, when you are less likely to damage the bore on the side opposite the gas port when the drill bit breaks through into the bore. :wink: