PDA

View Full Version : Rhodie kit build. Replace recoil springs or not?

omtay77
April 12, 2011, 12:43
Since I'm replacing the gas spring, and replacing so many other parts throughout, is it a good idea to also, while I'm at it, pull the buttstock and replace those springs too?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

IRONWORKER
April 12, 2011, 12:51
I would pull the stock & all the frame lock parts out........

I do this on all my builds, you will be amazed how much grit & grime is in your lower!! - If the outer recoil spring has heavy wear (flat spots) i replace it, generally i leave the inner spring

omtay77
April 12, 2011, 13:35
...yeah...peering down into the innards of the lower, there is a lot of crud visible down in there.

...and thanks for the advice on the springs.

MistWolf
April 12, 2011, 13:52
Replacing springs is cheap insurance

omtay77
April 12, 2011, 21:18
Should the new springs be greased?...and with what?

bykerhd
April 12, 2011, 21:37
Get a complete set for Metric, if you can find it.
DSA had good ones.
Falcon Arms might be a source.
GunThings lists individual springs.

Keep whatever you replace.
Occasionally, the old springs work better than the new ones.
Plus they are good spares. I try to put the old springs in the packaging of the new ones and then mark them "Used".

Make sure you clean out the recoil spring tube thoroughly.
You could wipe the new recoil springs down with a bit of a good gun oil like FP-10. An oiled patch through the recoil spring tube wouldn't hurt either.
DON'T get carried away with the lube !
I'm not a big fan of grease in there.

gunnut1
April 13, 2011, 13:43
Spend the $25.00 and get a full spring set form Falcon. Replace all of them. This is SOP for all of my FALs. The first set I replaced, it made the rifle feel totally different in operation. You will not be sorry.

omtay77
April 13, 2011, 14:34
I've ordered a new set from DSA. I'll take bykerhd's advice and save the old springs. I'll give the new ones a light wipe with with a good gunoil (I typically use BreakFree), and then might give then a light coat of Tetra grease. I've used this combo on the springs in my Garand with great success. I've also been following the thread about "DIY buttstock removal tool" for some good ideas as to how to perform the operation without a lot of $, and without spring imprints on my forehead.

Thanks to everyone for the terrific advice.

jeffrey
April 13, 2011, 21:14
I remember reading somewhere that you should avoid grease and heavy oil in the recoil tube and springs. It can cause a seal between the plunger and the tube and impair functioning. It acts like a piston in an air pump.

gunnut1
April 14, 2011, 16:03
Originally posted by omtay77
I've ordered a new set from DSA. I'll take bykerhd's advice and save the old springs. I'll give the new ones a light wipe with with a good gunoil (I typically use BreakFree), and then might give then a light coat of Tetra grease. I've used this combo on the springs in my Garand with great success. I've also been following the thread about "DIY buttstock removal tool" for some good ideas as to how to perform the operation without a lot of $, and without spring imprints on my forehead.

Thanks to everyone for the terrific advice.

I would not use a DYI butt stock tool. The recoil is under tremendous pressure. Buy the proper tool. You will more than likely use it many times in the future. Of all the FAL tools I have, I use the recoil spring tool the most.

jeffrey
April 14, 2011, 19:46
"You will more than likely use it many times in the future. Of all the FAL tools I have, I use the recoil spring tool the most."

X2

It's fun to be able to swap furniture and you should clean in there once in awhile.