PDA

View Full Version : Who make the best barrels?

flashwilcox
April 11, 2011, 16:48
I have a STG and Imbel built.

I have 2 SA barrels, an Imbel front end and a RSA barrel.

Which one would you all save for a backup or a Para Build.

Thanks in advance

Flash

nwobhm
April 11, 2011, 17:22
Originally posted by flashwilcox
Who made the best barrels?

Steyr is considered by many to have been the best.

preston1026
April 11, 2011, 17:23
so says the man that just bought someone out

IRONWORKER
April 11, 2011, 17:29
The one in best condition :wink:

All things being equal i would take a Steyr over all others

MakNorinco
April 11, 2011, 17:46
Steyr hands down

nwobhm
April 11, 2011, 18:24
Originally posted by preston1026
so says the man that just bought someone out

:biggrin:

austex41
April 11, 2011, 18:53
Are there any US made barrels that compare?

It's not like we exactly have a shortage of match barrel makers in this country.....

flashwilcox
April 11, 2011, 20:58
so which one should i hang on too?

SA
Imbel
RSA

y0rlik
April 11, 2011, 22:09
I think that depends on the shape of the individual barrels. However, it is well known that most of the SA and Rhodesian barrels saw hard use, while most of the Imbel barrels were hardly used at all. If that trend is the same for your specimens, I would keep the Imbel barrel and dump the SA barrels.

Cava3r4
April 11, 2011, 22:20
my imbel that came on my SAR 48 works real well !

DannyinDallas
April 11, 2011, 22:36
If DSA prides itself on top-shelf quality, why not replicate the Steyr barrels?

homelandprotector
April 11, 2011, 23:15
I have found that the Aussie inch barrels are more accurate, even more then Steyr.

pryde
April 11, 2011, 23:40
I find that British cold forged late model Enfield and Parker Hale barrels are extremely accurate. Even more so than the vaunted Steyrs.

If you have a Century cut-down, a recrowning job will work wonders.

msnyder
April 12, 2011, 00:36
I have recorded groups of 1.2-2.0 moa with my Steyr barrels. I've seen late model Brit, Imbel and Argy group under 2 moa but none have been able to beat 1.2 moa, yet. If I can get 10 shots into about 3" at 100 yds I'm pretty happy.

flashwilcox
April 12, 2011, 06:19
Thanks for the input.
The Imbel is in great shape, looked like a safe queen, just covered in cosmo.

phillyray
April 12, 2011, 08:29
Out of the three I would use the Imbel barrel for your para. I have one on my para and it shoots really well. At the moses match I could hit a 8 inch wide by 13 inch tall steel plate at 300yds with iron sights when I did my part. I bought my barrel from a guy on here in the marketplace a while back he had moses cut it to 18 inches and crown and thread it before I bought it. Again, it shoot great.

flashwilcox
April 12, 2011, 10:04
I have an imbel on a enterprise and it shoots as good as the STG on the coonan, until you get way out there, i've got a scope on it. The STG even has a 8xx serial #, one of the early DSA kits.

The Imbel was purchased back when Clinton was in office and all this crap started. Both have incrediblly sharp and clean metal work/lines on them.

The Enterprise was a bitch to get going, but solid as a rock. The Coonan almost dropped in place and looks good on the STG lower.

Thanks for the input...........I'll save that Imbel for my Para build.

Robert1971
June 10, 2011, 02:29
Hello to all!
Originally posted by pryde
I find that British cold forged late model Enfield and Parker Hale barrels are extremely accurate. Even more so than the vaunted Steyrs.

If you have a Century cut-down, a recrowning job will work wonders.

Well, Since a few days have one of them:
http://www.shrani.si/f/3N/YC/2ufSBVaP/l1a1barrel.jpg
I love it already, i will only replace the Bolt Hold open lever & do something with wobbly backsight.
Regards,
Robert.

airground
June 10, 2011, 08:27
What about FN barrels?

Lee Carpentieri
June 10, 2011, 11:38
Quote Flashwilcox,
The STG even has a 8xx serial #, one of the early DSA kits.

Is the 3 digit barrel you have marked with FN markings or Steyr markings? Anything 20,000 and under on a Stg-58 kit was FN made UNLESS it was replaced with Steyr parts at a later date.

As to your initial question about which barrel to keep as a spare, Keep the Imbel and sell or build the SA barrel into a parts kit weapon later on, Like others have said, Anything that comes out of the African continent is normallly junk, Albeit their have been some exceptional small pieces to escape from that region of the world. It's the worlds surplus dumping grounds for nations that want to get rid of surplus weapons and supporting equitment and when they can't sell it their, LOOK OUT USA, As it might be coming here via an International Arms broker and sold to some company here in the USA except for barrels, Frame Flats and Receivers due to the import ban on those items.

flashwilcox
January 28, 2012, 19:19
LEE I'll have to check the numbers on the STG, It has the long FH and i never looked at the proof marks.
Is made by FN better than Styer.

flash

Cava3r4
January 29, 2012, 09:48
HOw do you fix the "wobbly backsight"?
TIA
Bob

Hello to all!

Well, Since a few days have one of them:
http://www.shrani.si/f/3N/YC/2ufSBVaP/l1a1barrel.jpg
I love it already, i will only replace the Bolt Hold open lever & do something with wobbly backsight.
Regards,
Robert.

flashwilcox
January 30, 2012, 10:43
I check out the FAL it has a D with sideways arrows on the carrier same D on barrel with crown marks look Belguim.
There is also letters on bolt hold open, gas block and other parts.

flash