PDA

View Full Version : SIG 556 front sight???

April 11, 2011, 10:16
Folks, I just recently purchased a SIG 556 with the folding blade front sight and no rear sight. Will this work with the rotary diopter rear sight or do I need to switch to the hooded front sight?:?

BULLDOG
April 11, 2011, 15:45
I have the hooded sight with mine, me thinks the flip up sights are for SHTF situations, when your optics, i.e., red dots fail. I could be wrong. Will get you in the black, but not as accurate.

SEMPER FI

April 11, 2011, 19:22
originally posted by BULLDOG

me thinks the flip up sights are for SHTF situations, when your optics, i.e., red dots fail. I could be wrong. Will get you in the black, but not as accurate.

That's what I'm thinking also. Toying with the possibility of mounting a set of folding sights from Samson. I'd rather use the folding front sight and the rear rotary diopter though - if they'll work. I just wanted to check with someone more familiar with the rifle.

Outlaw Patriot
April 11, 2011, 22:13
That front sight post is really thick and will completely obscure most any reasonably sized targets at 100 yards or further. It makes it pretty hard to shoot accurately.

I have the Sampson front sight and an ARMS 40l rear sight, the combo works fine, although I use optics more these days.

Stranger
April 12, 2011, 09:08
I second the Sampson folding front with a ARMS 40L-SP. Perfect setup for the 556.

moses
April 13, 2011, 15:43
I am pretty sure the rear diopter works with the flip front sight,
I have both I can check for you when I get a minute.
I milled my front sight blade down so it is thinner.
I also made a taller front sight that I use with AR 15 sights on the rear.

April 26, 2011, 22:16
Well folks. I finally broke down and bought a Midwest Industries flip front sight and their SPLP folding rear sight. I've got the front mounted, looks good. Just waiting for the rear sight to get in so I can try 'em out!:]