PDA

View Full Version : Loose BHO....can it be fixed??

Tat2
April 10, 2011, 15:43
Hello,

I have an STG with a loose BHO foot. It is not allowing the BHO to
function properly. I can not charge a round no matter how hard I
pull down on the BHO. If I use a flathead screwdriver and pry it into
the space between the side of the BHO foot and the receiver (under the cocking handle slot) it will function. Seems the loose foot is turning slightly and not allowing the BHO to activate. Can it be fixed?

Or if not...anyone have an extra STG BHO to sell? :biggrin:

T

DakTo
April 10, 2011, 15:47
In the past I have secured the loose foot with Loctite.

IRONWORKER
April 10, 2011, 16:00
I have fixed many with a Tig welder - a squirt gun (Mig) works just as well

If you don't have access to a welder I'll be glad to fix it for ya' if you'll pay the shipping

4markk
April 10, 2011, 16:05
Or you can pin it. A 5/64th pin just like the Izzy's works well.

Tat2
April 10, 2011, 16:47
Wow.... thats for the insight guys. Great ideas and I will try the simple
Loctite idea first.... if I can not find a welder local I really appreciate
the offer Ironworker. I will let you know! Thanks a lot guys.

T

FUUN063
April 11, 2011, 01:00
In my experienced opinion, the Loctite idea sounds good on paper, but if you're in the habit of using a BHO as a charging device instead of a BHO, the Loctite will slowly give way. You will eventually have the same issue, maybe when you need it the most. How about two things: a.) have it TIG welded properly and then smoothed with either a nice file job or sander and b.) begin to pull back on the charging handle and let it fly, keeping the BHO as just that. Just sayin' is all.....

Leland:shades:

Tat2
April 11, 2011, 02:07
Thanks Leland, I did Loctite it tonite and it worked like a charm!
I wanted to keep it simple initially. I am concerned about long term.
Though I do not see myself shooting this build a lot. And now that I know the issue and will have to baby this BHO some.... but at least it works now!! And yes it is a BHO.... not a charging handle :)

If it craps out again I will have to do the weld thing....

T

Drtrumpet
April 12, 2011, 01:54
Fellas, how are these secured from the factory? Is it a press fit? I am wondering if there is a permanent way to repair w/o welding. Compressing the end perhaps?

W.E.G.
April 12, 2011, 06:41
Originally posted by Drtrumpet
Fellas, how are these secured from the factory? Is it a press fit? I am wondering if there is a permanent way to repair w/o welding. Compressing the end perhaps?

Pressed and pinned.

Deltaten
April 12, 2011, 08:44
Vise, punch and hammer, Re-stake/upset as needed,

DakTo
April 12, 2011, 08:59
My question on welding, brazing or soldering is: Can these applications be parkerized or blued or will they show as a repair?

Drtrumpet
April 12, 2011, 09:02
I have seen "arsenal repairs" to BHOs in the G1 kits where they welded the outside of the tube to the foot. In all cases the weld had broken.

gunplumber
April 12, 2011, 09:47
I weld them. Probably 50% of the kits coming in nowadays have loose BHOs and it will cause it to lock-up. It acts as a cam/brake inside the BHO channel.

I cut two small grooves, 45 degrees apart, opposite the foot. Tig weld. Then sand smooth. That's why they are opposite the foot and only 45 degrees apart - otherwise it is hard to get a file or sander in, without the foot getting in the way.

My welds have never broken.

I think soldering is a poor choice because the heat is more generalized and will kill the plunger spring.

Same with MIG welding.

With my TIG and very fine filler wire, I can keep the heat localized.

There may be a slight shift in color after park or blue, but unless I use alloy filler weld, the weld is pretty hard to see.

I think DSA's US version is a definite improvement, using a staked screw instead of a pin.