PDA

View Full Version : ELCAN M145 308 Anyone have any experience?

vickbo
April 03, 2011, 19:19
Thinking of going this route for my 16" DSA FAL.... Any thought?

Tgeorgi2002
April 03, 2011, 19:41
I have an Elcan specter 1-4x 7.62 bdc on an 18" and it's pretty sweet. It is however like having a brick on top of the rifle. Top quality but heavy. Don't know about the m145, though i would recommend elcan.

James_G
April 03, 2011, 22:36
I've used a M145 on a M240B. From a tripod it was a great weapon accessory.

vickbo
April 03, 2011, 22:42
Would you use it on a "battle rifle" 16"??????

James_G
April 03, 2011, 23:25
I personally wouldn't. But that is a subjective opinion as i've never used one a 16" rifle. Only a GPMG. The sight isn't as quick to bring to bear as you'd expect. It is large, and it will add weight to the weapon as well. Keep this in mind if you go that route.

FALonious
April 04, 2011, 05:54
I have them on 4 of my FAL's and love them 2 are the newer model, the lit reticule on the newer is nice for lowlight shooting but I like the reticule layout on the older ones better, that being said I would not recommend one for your application. They are better suited for the DMR role as opposed to entry. They are not very quick to bear on target, quite large and a bit heavy. They are however built like a tank and the glass is very nice. They suite the role I have for them perfectly. If I had to pic one fault for your app I would say the size would just be too much of a hindrance for you. It would simply be in the way.

One of the Acog's would be the best choice IMHO for your application. You can't beat them for just about anything as they have one for almost every app.

davechng
April 04, 2011, 09:32
I mounted the ELcan M145C on my STG58! works good. a bit heavy on the top but the recticle works out to 600 yds with NATO 7.62 ball!

I mainly use POrtugese and British Radway green ammo! did try the Aussie and they worked good also

I have also use the older C79 scope on my AR and liked that over the newer M145C! mainly on the recticle issue!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/davechng/Guns/P1040388.jpg

DaveC

Incognito
April 04, 2011, 21:59
I've had an Elcan on my FAL for about 10 years now and personally I think it is the ultimate optical sight for the FAL. I've shot countless deer with mine. It performs very well in low light conditions.

2li
April 05, 2011, 00:11
+1 for the M145. I have it on an 18" para and have never said "this is too big or weighs too much". Very good glass and quick on the target.

Perhaps the weight would be more irksome if I wasn't lugging around a heavy weapon to begin with - it comes with the territory. You could always switch to an AR (shutter) format if weight is a big issue.

Incognito
April 05, 2011, 23:16
+1 on this post. Weight has never bothered me because I have found that normally cutting down on weight starts to degrade functionality (see Stoner DI design). Quality stuff tends to weigh a bit, that's the trade off. Now having said that, newer technology does seem to be providing for some quality stuff at lighter weights. But I'm still old school and love my FAL with Elcan. Also love my Galil ARM, talk about weight...

Originally posted by 2li
+1 for the M145. I have it on an 18" para and have never said "this is too big or weighs too much". Very good glass and quick on the target.

Perhaps the weight would be more irksome if I wasn't lugging around a heavy weapon to begin with - it comes with the territory. You could always switch to an AR (shutter) format if weight is a big issue.

KBAR04
April 06, 2011, 07:20
I have been a liaison with a few commonwealth militaries and the Elcan seemed to be a standard issue item in the SAS for years. They were even commonly used on their Armalite carbines. I would be referring to the 145 model. I have one and it is a nice instrument, not too bulky on a FAL but a bit large on a M4...

gunplumber
April 06, 2011, 08:58
I have two for sale. $700 shipped (each).

One is new. The other "like new" as I used it for some testfiring.

It is an excellent fixed power scope. For just what it was designed for - an across-the-board optic. There are better scopes for close range, and better scopes for long range, but the 145 is pretty good "do everything" glass.

Here I'm testing it out on the .308 SCAR.

Also tested it out on my M4. As mentioned above, it is heavy on a lightweight AR, but it also had an exceptional field of view, making it a little faster than lighter scopes that were slower to acquire the target.

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/notes/notesfal/scar/scar-04.jpg

GySgt D
April 09, 2011, 18:48
Have had the previous version of it (tritium, vice battery, illumination) mounted on a frankenfal since '01.

As others have mentioned, it is heavy. It also sits rather high on the receiver.

Awesome field of view, though.

Squint
April 09, 2011, 22:01
I have the old model C-79 on my STG556 and really like it. I have seen lots of M145s on eBay for low prices and have always steered clear because I figured the Army was trying to figure out where they had walked off to.

Drtrumpet
April 12, 2011, 01:57
I positively LOVE my 1-4 DR. Best combat optic innovation in the last 20 years IMHO. The weight......meh. I got used to it.

Originally posted by Tgeorgi2002
I have an Elcan specter 1-4x 7.62 bdc on an 18" and it's pretty sweet. It is however like having a brick on top of the rifle. Top quality but heavy. Don't know about the m145, though i would recommend elcan.

Hey Mark, what glass did you end up with on your SCAR H?

gunplumber
April 12, 2011, 08:39
It still has a Mk IV M3 10x.

Good scope, but I'll need to add a micro red dot if I'm going to use it for across-the board.

Plan is a 1.5-8x - Looking at the GRSC, the Leu, and a few others. NOT the chinese leatherwood.

Don't have the money right now to buy something else - have to sell what I have first.

Either the POF-.308 ($2000) or the two Elcans ($600 each) will satisfy the IRS and hopefully leave enough to buy a good piece of glass.

Still haven't done my taxes, but not expecting to owe more than usual.

Millet16
January 23, 2012, 21:05
I know this is an old post, but on the elcan website, all I see are .223 scopes. Is that what you guys are using for your fals?

Millet16
January 23, 2012, 21:15
Also,...don't laugh, but what about a simple Burris fallfield II?

4markk
January 23, 2012, 21:25
I know this is an old post, but on the elcan website, all I see are .223 scopes. Is that what you guys are using for your fals?

The Elcan has two reticles, one for a 5.56 and one for a 7.62 ....

Here is DSA's 7.62
http://www.dsarms.com/Elcan-M145-Optical-Sight-M240_M249-Reticle-----ELCM145W/productinfo/ELCM145W/

Don't get sticker shock, you can pick up a used one for less than half that. Make sure it is a real Canadian and not a Chinese knock-off.

gunplumber
January 24, 2012, 10:06
The 145 has a blended reticule with a 10m zero - for the SS109 and the 147 g 7.62

FNfreak
January 24, 2012, 20:43
So the "Money Question" is...where does one find a REAL ELCAN at a decent price that is REAL and not a knock off Chinese piece of crap...???

Mark IV
January 24, 2012, 22:39
So the "Money Question" is...where does one find a REAL ELCAN at a decent price that is REAL and not a knock off Chinese piece of crap...???

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I want to go with the Specter DR 1.5x6 for my para. Even with a buddy's dealer discount it's going to cost $2,200+ with the killflash and the bikini lense cover.

But that's the whole point, to see the bad guy and get a bead on him before he does the same to you. Cheaper optics are fine for target shooting, but where's the trade-off point between economy and saving your hide?

01BIRDDOG
December 16, 2014, 17:41
I have a M-145 on a 16" FAL and love it. Mount is old Grayslake and is perfect when i shoulder the weapon and internal light is a real help. Guess it depends on person as every other setup is.

LKY_13
December 16, 2014, 18:13
Wow... pulled up an old one eh?

G3isMe
December 16, 2014, 18:24
Wow... pulled up an old one eh?

LOL thought the same thing but was rather timely for me since I just bought one on the marketplace.......... :biggrin:

LKY_13
December 16, 2014, 18:30
LOL thought the same thing but was rather timely for me since I just bought one on the marketplace.......... :biggrin:

Yeah, great buy too. I do miss the one I had on my Sig...

G3isMe
December 16, 2014, 20:39
I have wanted one of those for awhile now. In the last week I've spent $500 on Leupold and now $650 on this one...:eek: ...Jeeez, that could have been a SCAR....

Thorack
December 17, 2014, 11:41
Well,

The M145 is the most bullet proof optic the US Army uses. Its great for any crew served or suppressive fire weapon. Seen several AIF KIA with very tight shot groups from a 240B MG with an M145. Like all have said it heavy but is a great optic for it role on crew served weapons.

That said I have one mounted on my Izzy HB, its a poor mans support weapon. 30 rd mags and the m145 it can lay down some serious lead until you have to displace and then you hate the damn thing.

Thorack