PDA

View Full Version : LG = Belgian?

jacmec
April 03, 2011, 14:01
I recently got my FAL back from a gun smith who refinished it. I know it is a SA/Rhodesian kit on a Coonan receiver, but I couldn't ever find a proof on the barrel before. The sand blasting must have brought it out, there is now a very very faint LG with some sort of design around it. I thought I remember this being a Belgian proof? Is this correct? Also how does a Belgian barrel stack up against the rest as far as quality and accuracy?

FUUN063
April 03, 2011, 14:03
Well, maybe if you look closely, you will find that the "LG" you state is actually a capital "LEG" that is inside an oval. If so, then it is definitely Belgian manufacture. I think the Belgian stuff is great.

Leland:cool:

jacmec
April 03, 2011, 14:16
Ok so I ran over and checked it out again. I can't find a "E" but I can make out a "L" and a "G" in side of a oval, that sort of looks like a crown on top... their is also something above it looks like a serial number but its way to light for me to make out.... wish I had gotten a look at it after blasting but before parking. I bet it would have been easy to see then. Happen to have a pic or link to the proof? Thanks for the help.

bykerhd
April 03, 2011, 14:19
The crown on top of the oval sure sounds like original Belgian to me.:wink:

aezcur
April 03, 2011, 14:49
That is the Liege Coat of Arms. LG=Liege....where FN Herstal is located in Belgium.

HighRatMaster
April 03, 2011, 15:00
Belgian Barrel Proof Mark:

http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac214/kclark4895/FALBelgianBarrelProof.jpg

jacmec
April 04, 2011, 05:12
Thanks for the help guys. Really awesome to finally know where that barrel is from. :biggrin: