PDA

View Full Version : best fal build for under $800??

loco gunner
March 31, 2011, 03:49
hi, i was wondering what the best combo would b for my first fal build for $800 or less!!!!!!

msnyder
March 31, 2011, 04:24
DSARMS Imbel Kit $395, includes 3 US parts
Coonan Type 3 Receiver $275
Moses Magazine, 3 US parts $24

IRONWORKER
March 31, 2011, 12:10
For less than $800? - Good luck & diligent searching is all it takes......

I've recently built a beautiful matching# R1 & a matching G1 (NOS lower & unnumbered barrel) for less than $600 - Both are in extremely good condition & built on DSA receivers, also i did some trading around a few weeks back & wound up with a very nice BGS kit for nothing (bought a rifle, traded it for another rifle & a BGS kit then sold the 2nd rifle for what the 1st cost)

Here is how you get a bad ass FAL on the cheap..........

Tell everyone you know that you have $CASH$ waiting for FAL kits, parts, receivers & rifles - Put the word out at the local gun shops that your looking for kits & other FAL related stuff - Take out an ad in the local trade paper then.........

BE VERY PATIENT!!! - If you do this i guarantee you'll find some smokin hot deals sooner or later, i have bought several kits from fellas that got em' in the late 90s & early 00s when kits were $100 to $250 bucks, most i have gotten for what they payed + $50 to $100 bucks, the hardest part for me is finding deals on good receivers - I just payed over $400 of a VERY NICE new T2 DSA receiver (18K SN# range) but i have less than $200 in the kit so I'll wind up with a BAD ASS G1 for under $700 (figure in refinishing, 922 parts & my time!)

Vaughn L. Allen
March 31, 2011, 12:25
I picked up a very nice non-matching STG58 kit from local classifieds about 6 months ago for $275 and a nice Imbel GL receiver from a pawn shop Monday for less than $300.

IRONWORKER is absolutely right, the parts are out there if you look around and are patient.

IRONWORKER
March 31, 2011, 12:31
Damn it Vaughn, that was MY Imbel receiver!! :rofl:

Sounds like you been finding some deals bro!

Robidouxs
March 31, 2011, 12:31
When I called DSA to ask about their Imbel kits they advised me that the condition of the barrels were very poor. Pitting and shot out. They advised me that the barrels were unsafe to shoot.

bigstick61
March 31, 2011, 14:40
I bought a Rhodie kit on here for $220 shipped several months ago. I bought a Coonan receiver and had I not gotten custom markings it would have cost me $275 shipped. I'll be putting it together myself with a bit of help from someone with the tools. Total could have been $495. With custom markings it came out to about $545. Still well within your price range. I may need to get a couple of small parts which could add a tiny amount to the price. I'm not including sales taxes or transfer fees and the like. I'm helping a friend build a Para FAL. Our price range was $800 and while we didn't quite make it we did get it within $850 believe it or not.

L/FN
March 31, 2011, 16:37
Originally posted by Robidouxs
When I called DSA to ask about their Imbel kits they advised me that the condition of the barrels were very poor. Pitting and shot out. They advised me that the barrels were unsafe to shoot.

What!
A DSA sales rep said that?

Guess they need to drop the price $150.00.

Vaughn L. Allen
March 31, 2011, 16:44
Originally posted by IRONWORKER
Damn it Vaughn, that was MY Imbel receiver!! :rofl:

Sounds like you been finding some deals bro!

Yeah, monday was a really good day! The same guy that pawned the GL Imbel receiver also pawned a few FALs... Including an L2A1 (likely ARS built) on a DSA inch receiver. The only thing non-L2 on it is the rear sight/topcover and 922r parts. The L2 was listed at $1499!!! I managed to talk them DOWN a few hundred $s on the price=)

Now I need to find an original rear sight/topcover.

IRONWORKER
March 31, 2011, 17:21
You got a ARS built L2 for less than $1500? - Your on fire this week brother, need to buy a few lotto tickets :wink:

BUFF
March 31, 2011, 20:32
Smoking deals!

ARS marks their buillds on the lower front of the upper receiver, in front of the mag well. Check there.

Blackmore
March 31, 2011, 20:44
Originally posted by BUFF
ARS marks their buillds on the lower front of the upper receiver, in front of the mag well.

Like this:

loco gunner
March 31, 2011, 21:39
does that stand for arsenal???

Vaughn L. Allen
March 31, 2011, 21:58
The Imbel GL receiver has gunplumbers markings on the bottom of the upper receiver, has had all the lettering filled in with white, and the metacol satin black finish.

The L2A1 has the same finish as the Imbel GL and has all of the lettering and numbers filled.

I would guess that he had the L2 originally built on the Imbel and then changed receivers when the DSA inchers became available. The DSA has the same finish and lettering has been filled.

The L2 does not look like it's ever been fired and the furniture has been perfectly finished. The barrel looks new!

The lower receiver has the upside down AD but no numbers (un-numbered lower?).

I emailed gunplumber earlier today and he remember making an L2 for someone in Utah about 10 years ago but couldn't verify that this was his. As nice as this is, it has to be from ARS!

Vaughn L. Allen
March 31, 2011, 22:04
Originally posted by loco gunner
does that stand for arsenal???

Arizona Response Systems LLC=gunplumber (FALFiles)=T. Mark Graham

Premier FAL gunsmith/artist!

loco gunner
March 31, 2011, 23:40
thanks vaughn... im a newbie and trying to absorb as much info as possible!!!!:)

Vaughn L. Allen
April 01, 2011, 00:02
No problem... I'm gald to help.

If you want a really nice FAL made from brand new parts, I would recommend a Sarco Argy kit and a Coonan Argy-cut type III receiver.

It will be a little bit more than $800 but you will not be disappointed!!!

I built one a few months ago and it's among my favorites. It may be my most accurate, non-heavy barrel FAL.

far_right
April 01, 2011, 15:29
I bought a numbers matching StG w/ a nice vcl140 barrel on a PAC Imbel gear receiver for $750 a month or so ago.

Vaughn L. Allen
April 01, 2011, 15:44
Originally posted by far_right
I bought a numbers matching StG w/ a nice vcl140 barrel on a PAC Imbel gear receiver for $750 a month or so ago.

That's a steal!!! I've got one just like it and I love it. Someone tried to mount some type of cheesy Chinese flash-hider on it and drilled slightly into the barrel to try and make the set screws hold it.

I had it cut to 18", threaded, and crowned. It's a keeper!!!