PDA

View Full Version : I Want To Build This Rifle But Did It Exist?

HighRatMaster
March 30, 2011, 23:35
Looks pretty straight forward, 'B' buttstock with trapdoor w/non-rotating swivel, wood grip, three slot wood handguards with metal noseguard, ribbed carry handle, low sights, closed ear gasblock, unthreaded lugged barrel, non-hooked selector, vertical takedown lever, S-R-A marked lower, type I upper. Anything I'm missing?

Did any countries adopt this exact version? Looks to be an early SA contract rifle if you substitute gray handguards.

http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac214/kclark4895/Belgian5000.jpg

ETA: Swivel detail

WWM
March 30, 2011, 23:42
The closest production unit that comes to mind is a Belgian M2. Hand guards are different I believe.

HighRatMaster
March 30, 2011, 23:44
Did the M2 have a stripper clip top cover?

WWM
March 31, 2011, 00:56
Did some more research, both the M1 and M2 had stripper dust covers and open ear gas blocks. Possibly a pre production G1 or BGS? Maybe someone smarter than me will chime in and set us straight.

def90
March 31, 2011, 01:08
Looking at pics in the Stevens book that matches the rifles produced for Kuwait and Indonesia, basically all the features of the Canada model with low sights. The Venezuelan Navy, Greece, Qatar and Peru had similar profiles but had Type C stocks and plastic pistol grips.

torquemada055
March 31, 2011, 01:14
I'm curious now, would that be a wooden ribbed carry handle? If so, what make or model would it be most like?

Lee Carpentieri
March 31, 2011, 04:02
The carry handle profile of that picture/ Blue Print would be the early plastic ribbed carry handle. This was the basic model for allot of countries, Remember as things progressed during a production run, Changes/Upgrades could have been made.

dirtyrice
March 31, 2011, 05:07
If the barrel ban gets repealed and Venezuela decides to finally cut up some fals we'll have tons of those kits :)

Peconga
March 31, 2011, 05:35
Originally posted by dirtyrice
If the barrel ban gets repealed and Venezuela decides to finally cut up some fals we'll have tons of those kits :)

I wouldn't expect anything but a headache coming out of Venezuela, so long as Comrade Chavez is in charge.

On the other hand, perhaps we could convince him that the FN-FAL has become the cherished symbol of a radical neo-Marxist movement in the USA (in the spirit of Fidel and Che) and that we need more of them to arm the vanguard of the People's Revolution against the Yankee imperialists and capitalist ruling elite.

Nah...:tongue:

IRONWORKER
March 31, 2011, 05:42
A Imbel kit, lugged Argie barrel & some Ironwood furniture & you'll have a rifle like that - I have a mint M2 barrel & i was going to build one but after the BGS kits came out i decided to use the barrel on 1 of them

DakTo
March 31, 2011, 06:23
Originally posted by HighRatMaster
Did the M2 have a stripper clip top cover?

Some M2s had the stripper clip top cover and others did not depending on contract.

I believe the FAL schematic is an early M2 with all wood furniture, and I think the carry handle is the rubberized ribbed type. I don't see where the carry handle is colored in as wood like the furniture.

1956 Kuwaiti contract M2:

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh83/RedlegFN/Kuwaiti_soldier_with_his_FN_FAL_rifle.jpg

L/FN
March 31, 2011, 19:37
By the time the low sightline FALs were coming out, wood was being replaced with synthetic. There were probably alot of FAL's that had a mix for awhile.

The diagram shown could have just been a instructional chart of a FAL for a prospective buyer to view and not representative of a certain model or agreed upon contract.

If you like it, build it!!

Brian in MN
March 31, 2011, 23:56
Originally posted by HighRatMaster

Did any countries adopt this exact version? Looks to be an early SA contract rifle if you substitute gray handguards.

http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac214/kclark4895/Belgian5000.jpg

???I am skeptical. Show me a South African contract rifle in that configuration. According to Stevens the South Africans bought their first FAL's in 1960. That was at least two years after the synthetic pistol grip and type C butt were being manufactured.

All M2 rifles had stripper clip covers. All M2 rifles were Belgian army. If it went somewhere else it was not an M2. M2 is a Belgian model designation for a specific type used by Belgium.

HighRatMaster
April 01, 2011, 00:12
Originally posted by Brian in MN

???I am skeptical. Show me a South African contract rifle in that configuration. According to Stevens the South Africans bought their first FAL's in 1960. That was at least two years after the synthetic pistol grip and type C butt were being manufactured.

Good point, I think you are correct, an early SA contract rifle would have a type C butt and synthetic grip. I'm starting to believe strongly that the rifle in this print was a pre production, sample, or proposed version and was not put to production in quantity. Does anybody have a period photo of the version? If it was built, what year would it be to retain the wood grip but have a plastic carry handle?

Lee Carpentieri
April 01, 2011, 03:20
It,s just a basic schematic of the late 1950,s 50-00 Fal that FN offered, Nothing more. So what if a country ordered options added on to the base model, It still doesn't change the model designation.

DakTo
April 01, 2011, 07:59
For the sake of argument I think most collectors for simple identification like to call a solid stock FAL with a flash hider a 50.00 type, and the earlier plain barrel FAL with low sights a M2 type.

Hoot G
April 01, 2011, 13:39
Originally posted by DakTo
For the sake of argument I think most collectors for simple identification like to call a solid stock FAL with a flash hider a 50.00 type, and the earlier plain barrel FAL with low sights a M2 type.

And, unfortunately, that adds to the confusion. Note that on the page itself, Stevens call it the "wood-stocked model 50-00 of the late 50's." It seems that the only simple thing about the FAL is mis-identification. :wink:

Also from the Stevens' book; Kuwait 1957, Indonesia 1958, are shown in that configuration. It looks to me like the Belgian M2 has a plastic pistol grip. :uhoh:

moses
April 01, 2011, 15:02
The thing about FAL's is that it had so many variations and one country could have several different orders, FN had an options sheet and buyers would pick and choose the different options they wanted on the rifles they were ordering.

So while all the varitions might not be documented basically any configuration you put together could be correct.

R1
April 15, 2011, 14:08
Originally posted by Brian in MN

???I am skeptical. Show me a South African contract rifle in that configuration.

I've never seen one. Every contract rifle I've ever seen looks the one at the top of this pic.

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/7303/dsc03288aa.jpg

Hoot G
April 15, 2011, 14:23
WOW! :eek: :eek:

R1, any chance you might start another thread about those FAL's? I'd love to see closer photos of the markings, and find out their history.

My attempt at a first contract;

http://gallery.me.com/hoot/100033/8863/web.jpg

HighRatMaster
April 15, 2011, 14:23
That's a great pic R1, thanks for posting it.

The top rifle, early Belgian made South African contract, correct? What is the finish on the metal, paint over parkerizing?

Now I've got the early SA bug, anybody have a source for gray handguards??

BC
April 15, 2011, 14:55
Nice trio you've got there, R1!