PDA

View Full Version : My first and last Glock

Timber Wolf
March 25, 2011, 13:38
Well, it was certainly my first and may well be the last, but I ain’t dead or done gun trading yet! I succumbed to the urge to own a Glock many, many years ago when I bought a slightly used G20 from a friend-of-a-friend. Paid a pretty penny but it was nice so what the heck, I had been wanting a 10 and finally owned one of the boomers. It was (and is) a serious piece of kit, especially when loaded with 15+1 of the full-snort Norma ammo available back then (I still have a very small private stash hoarded back for special occasions). I liked owning a 10 and a Glock but never really warmed to the grip angle or size. I eventually doubled-down on the big Glocks by buying a G21. I figured I would practice with the .45 and carry the 10 as I reloaded .45 in quantity on the Dillion. This supposed “efficiency” never happened, not the least of which is because I load cast lead for all my other .45s and the Glock supposedly needed jacketed bullets.

I eventually bought a police trade-in G22 because it was cheap and I already had magazines since my KelTec .40 Sub2000 takes the Glock mag (KelTec really got this gun right). I never liked the G22 either and eventually traded it for a G27. The G27 was OK and I shot it well but it too left when a Bud offered me more for it than it meant to me. The G21 eventually went to live with him too in a somewhat complicated two-for-two-and-boot trade deal that I don’t think he ever completely understood but none-the-less trusted that I was not screwing him. Actually I should say the G21 went BACK to him as I bought it from him to start with! He was also the first “friend” (of the “friend-of-a-friend”) that put me onto the G20. Kind of strange that a lot of my Glock trading has been with one guy!

I would have been pretty pared down on Glocks by then but a RTF2 G22 came along in a cheap package deal with a stainless Walther PPK/S that I thought I wanted badly at the time (that Walther has the stiffest trigger pull of anything I own). I liked the RTF feel better than any other Glock but it came time to move it along when a young buck locally put up a nice pinned & recessed 4” S&W 19 for trade. The Glock went to live with him and the Model 19 came home with me. Yep, old school wins my heart every time. Got my 4” Python the same way, traded a wonder nine to another young buck for it, but I digress, this thread is about Glocks. Although I suppose a Gen 1 G20 might be considered “old school” by some!

So there you have the whole story of how a G20 became my first and last (at least for now) Glock. I have happily discovered that the big G20 fits my horsehide SuperTuck I bought for the G27 so I have been carrying the big Glock while walking the dog. Very comforting and not all that uncomfortable to carry either. I bought 300 new Starline brass, 1000 plated 180 grain bullets, 500 Hornady 180 XTPs, and 200 Remington 180 Golden Sabers to go with the 40/10mm dies, shell plate, etc. for the Dillion. I intend to load and shoot this big Glock until I like it or at least shoot it well. Just last week I picked up a Safariland holster cheap off flea bay for it too. I forget the model (edit: it is the ALS) but it is the one with the thumb activated release that grabs the ejection port. I have small, beefy hands and like this thumb-operated retention method better than the index finger versions like the Blackhawk. Most of my other leather and synthetic holsters are thumb-strap so this fits my muscle memory better anyway. I am waiting on a Gen 4 Glock 23 or G29SF to fall into my lap but until then the G20 is the only Glock representative in the collection. Just need to get out and shoot the thing.

1911Ron
March 26, 2011, 12:33
Get you a wolfe (sp?) barrel so you can shoot cast bullets, you can get a .40 and a .357SIG barrel for it too and if i remember right the only mag difference is the .357SIG. The .40 and 10mm can use the 10 mag. I have the G29 and love it!

hagar
March 26, 2011, 21:02
The G20 is in a class by itself, it has no equal.

Fn/form
March 27, 2011, 16:15
I mentioned this in another post...

My best friend has over 240k through his G22. 80% (conservative) have been his cast reloads, and 40k went through in 1 year several years ago. No kabooms, etc. He loads to just a bit above major power factor with 180gr. He has had no problems with cast boolits.

Do the research and find what works for your Glock.

Tonk
March 28, 2011, 10:56
I must admit for many years I was indeed a Glock hater! YES, I hate plastic with a passion especially on automobiles are firearms. Now for many decades it was the COLT and Smith & Wessons that adorned my vault. It wasn't until I developed some hand problems did I vacate the use of my Kimber .45acp's.

Then one day a friend of mine who owns a shooting range handed me a pistol called GLOCK. I was able to draw and fire this weapon with no pain or having to sweep off a safety with my stiff thumb. Nowdays I shoot mostly GLOCK pistols and my CCW pistols are the model 20 in 10mm and it's little brother the sub-compact model 29.

I have since placed stainless steel heavier springs in both pistols and the 3.5 pound connector as well. They are very accurate and hit like the hammer of Thor gentlemen. I am a happy camper you betcha! My wife who got her CCW permit last year also carries a Glock in the form of a model 27 sub-compact in the .40 caliber. Thank you Mr. Glock!!!

Correlia
March 28, 2011, 12:05
Originally posted by hagar
The G20 is in a class by itself, it has no equal.

+1.

I put the 3.5 lb trigger kit in and love it. Have DoubleTap Ammo for all sizes and needs and it runs flawlessly.

If you upgrade the slide spring (excuse the terminology) to a little tighter the Chrono stays VERY close.

Timber Wolf
March 28, 2011, 12:33
I know this is the Glock forum and MY thread and all but I have a little off-topic update. I am persuing a trade for a S&W 1006 locally as we speak. I hate to have just one gun in a caliber and a sweet little G29SF has not showed up yet. There is a gun show here this weekend though. Oh, my daughter and I camped out last Saturday night and the G20 was near at hand in the tent. Only a carbine or shotgun would have been more comforting, but I am sure the G20 would handle a lot better in a tent! ;)

fal fiend
March 28, 2011, 20:19
MY next pistol will be another glock, probally a 27.

Bwana John
March 30, 2011, 09:16
I just cant get over the "bug-crusher" trigger.

bykerhd
March 30, 2011, 09:44
I had a 19 for a while and loved how the thing worked and REALLY didn't mind the trigger. At all.

BUT, the only way I could have kept it would have been to do some serious revamping of the horrible grip shape of the thing.
Apparently, Glock must have just shrunk the grip when they downsized from the 17.
Those two finger humps ended up being what my fingers rested on:uhoh:
Maybe they would fit someone with small ? hands.
For me, the humps would have had to go. Serious grinding, etc. to make it look even halfway right again and then worth zilch for resale.

I replaced it with an XDm and saved myself all the drama.
I wish the trigger on the XDm were as good as the Glock.
But, "they" say, money can fix darn near anything.:rolleyes:

motosapien
March 31, 2011, 16:23
I have a 36 for carry and I love it. Light, reliable and hard hitting. You can easily get good hits at 50 yds. with it too.

TnHawk-45
April 18, 2011, 15:32
Timber Wolf, could you be persuaded into selling a 'few' of the Norma rounds so I can see how they compare to my reloads for my 20?

Also I second the recommendation about getting another barrel to shoot cast bullets in your 21.

BTW has your 20 gone thru the upgrades? I ask as I just got mine home from being upgraded. Only thing original is the slide, barrel, and frame. Everything else is new inculding the new type box they sent it back in.

My 20 was so old it didn't even have the 'captured' recoil spring. It DOES now!

Skilter
April 18, 2011, 17:55
As a Glock hound myself, most people don't know that the G20 was built before the G21 and designed around full house 10mm loads before they started loading the wimpy stuff. THEN the G21 was built with the same frame etc... For the longest time I thought it was the other way around.

Truly a hand cannon...

Timber Wolf
April 21, 2011, 15:27
Originally posted by TnHawk-45
Timber Wolf, could you be persuaded into selling a 'few' of the Norma rounds so I can see how they compare to my reloads for my 20?

Not yet, maybe someday though. Or I will chrono them myself. I saw an auction for 100 rounds (5 boxes of 20 each) of the 200 grain FMJ Norma 10mm just closed a week or two back on Auction Arms. Went for $301 shipped. :eek: $3.01 a pop. Ain't exactly plinking ammo. :uhoh:

CG&L
April 23, 2011, 17:36
Everything that I've heard from Glock owners is that the S&W M&P is a much better gun

Has anyone here at the falfiles come to the same conclusion?

W.E.G.
April 23, 2011, 18:10
Originally posted by CaptainJ
Everything that I've heard from Glock owners is that the S&W M&P is a much better gun

Wait for it!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pS057lKUtCs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fn/form
April 23, 2011, 18:23
Originally posted by CaptainJ

No. M&P trigger is mushy compared to a Glock.

I do think the XDm trigger was nicer than a Glock. Just not a huge fan of the Klingon high-bore axis/slide look.

Gen4 Glocks work fine for me.

CG&L
April 23, 2011, 18:34
If he wanted to compare the M&P to the Glock, he should have had one there.

The video could have been titled ‘Epic Fail for M&P When Tested Against Glock’

But

That didn’t happen

I shoot revolver in IPSC and ICORE. Triggers may not give me as much trouble as they do other people
The M&Ps I’ve shot had good triggers or nothing that could be described as a problem

Delta-3
May 01, 2011, 10:28
I'm going to go ahead & put my head in the noose here for a moment.
I'm a glock hater. Always have been & always will be. I'm a die hard Colt 1911 guy (& always will be). That being said, when my wife wanted a carry piece, we tried alot of handguns. She liked the M&P 9mm compact the best. For feel & looks. Now let me say, I also was a S&W hater for decades but after shooting her M&P, I had to buy one for me. S&W did everything right with this one. It has no flaws that I can find & has run perfectly right out of the box. So has both of the ones my friends bought after shooting mine.
Just so you know, I have fired many glocks over the years. They are accurate & reliable but they have the ergonomics of a brick. It seems you always have to change something to make it better. Glocks are a love, hate relationship. If it works for you, great! I know 12 people that have sold their glocks & went with the M&P & have no regrets. IMO, the M&P is far & above the glock in every category.
I'll take my head out the noose now.

19k40ret
May 01, 2011, 19:40
"Get you a wolfe (sp?) barrel so you can shoot cast bullets, you can get a .40 and a .357SIG barrel for it too and if i remember right the only mag difference is the .357SIG. The .40 and 10mm can use the 10 mag. I have the G29 and love it!" 1911ron

have a glock 32 .357sig. In the glock its the .40 cal and .357 sig mags that interchange, i have .40 cal mags that i use in my glock 32. wolfe barrel is great idea if you reload to. helps elliminate glock smiley's.

Timber Wolf
May 02, 2011, 12:25
I'm saving my pennies up now for the "Lone Wolf" G20 to .40 S&W conversion barrel. Here is the link: http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=951&CAT=241 I have thousands of .40 cases & small pistol primers and a Dillon 550. I plan on cranking out a LOT of .40 S&W ammo in the (hopefully) not to distant future. I also want one of these: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=22634/Product/TACTICAL_LIGHT_MOUNT_for_GLOCK_reg_ It is an add-on rail for early non-rail Glocks. They appearantly don't make one for the G20/21 pistols though as they only mention 17/19. Not sure what the difference is. Or, I could just suck it up and buy a G20 SF. I would really like to have a rail equipped G20 for the nightstand and G23 (if the grip suits me) for carry.