PDA

View Full Version : Rem 541-T

dwood601
March 16, 2011, 10:06
Anyone have any experience with this rife? A friend just gave me one in mint condition.

littlehoot
March 16, 2011, 11:51
have seen one, looks like a winner, no firsthand experience on accuracy or durability though...

dwood601
March 16, 2011, 16:48
Just back from the range and I think I have a winner. 5-shot group measured 2" at 100 yds. Ok for a squirrel gun.

catmguy445
March 16, 2011, 17:55
Not with the 541, but I have two 581-S models, which are the same gun with plain-jane wood instead of the fancy walnut stock. They're great rifles. The bolt design is very similar to the Steyr SSG in that is has rear locking lugs. They also have a very short lock time and a nice crisp trigger, which helps accuracy. All in all, it's a very solid design, and one which I wish Remington still made. There are two magazines available for it, a 5-round and 10-round mag, which are the same magazine used in the Nylon 10C and Nylon 77 rifles. They've gotten a bit scarce over the years, but you can still find them here and there. Numrich usually has a few, and if they don't, Jack First might have some. There's also Bob's Gun Shop in Royal, AR that has a pretty good stock of Remington parts (http://www.gun-parts.com). I think you'll be pretty happy with your 541. I love my 581's. Try a few different brands of .22 ammo and see which one your 541 likes best.

angusmac
March 16, 2011, 18:36
I had one some years ago, but a buddy had to have it........haven't seen it since. All of my Remingtons shoot great. The .22s seem to prefer Remington standard velocity stuff. Enjoy it :beer:

ICU308
March 16, 2011, 20:12
You have an excellent friend :bow:
I gave one of these to my brother , years ago , when he was lOOking for an accurate 22 . I already had a Kimber Super , and a Savage /Ancshutz 141 , so it just seemed right . Try as many types of ammo as you can , to find the RIGHT one . They all have a favorite . Then buy as much of it as you can put your hands on . I don't think you can go wrong with Lapua Standard/ Wolf Match (same thing , check out the head stamp) Kinda pricey for a brick , but it seems to shOOt well in a number of rimfires . Also , Winchester Expert . Then zero , and enjoy .

dwood601
March 17, 2011, 10:54
Thanks for the replies. I DO have an excellent friend - and I forgot to mention that he also gave me 5 extra mags and a brick of Winchester Expert ammo. I haven't shot it with this ammo yet but it will be fun to experiment with the different types you all have recommended.

Just to confirm... will mags for this gun fit a 541-X?

catmguy445
March 17, 2011, 12:01
Originally posted by dwood601
Thanks for the replies. I DO have an excellent friend - and I forgot to mention that he also gave me 5 extra mags and a brick of Winchester Expert ammo. I haven't shot it with this ammo yet but it will be fun to experiment with the different types you all have recommended.

Just to confirm... will mags for this gun fit a 541-X?

They should. Remington used the same mag for the Nylon 77, the Nylon 10C, the 581, and the 541, so any variant of the 541 should use the same mag as any other 541 model.

GALILAR308
March 17, 2011, 14:16
Great gun, crappy plastic magazines.

FUUN063
March 20, 2011, 03:05
I love mine. Dead nuts on, too.

Leland:whiskey:

tigerfans2
March 22, 2011, 19:33
make mine a 541X............

oh wait, I already did several years ago from our favorite Uncle..... NIB... wish I could shoot as straight as it does..........