PDA

View Full Version : WTK - available select-fire sears for FALs?

milgun
March 09, 2011, 14:48
Does anyone know if there are select-fire sears available for FALs? I have several FAL's and I'd like to convert one to select-fire is possible (after the proper paperwork and approvals, of course).

W.E.G.
March 09, 2011, 14:56
Registered auto-sear for FAL - NO

"Post-dealer sample" full-auto FAL - available for not much $$$ if you qualify

Modify FAL semi-auto to full-auto requires machining of the receiver.
Must be done by licensed machine-gun manufacturer.
Can only be transferred to police or military.
Joe six-pack will not get one.

Registered pre-86 FAL machine gun.
Available - prices start around $10,000 for one that has been rode hard.

Jailguard
March 09, 2011, 15:50
The FAL is not like a FNC or HK it requires machining to the receiver and as Weg said that is a no no.

fnogger
March 09, 2011, 21:46
Except there are more than a couple sear cut non-NFA FALs in the country...

In fact, a poster here who is a SOT (sorry forget name and don't wanna search) actually put a serial on a sear and put it in a sear cut FAL. And then destroyed the sear.

Question is - did anyone do that before 1986? And if they did, are they wanting to sell now?

Good luck searching!

AliYahu
March 09, 2011, 23:45
There are a few registered transferable FAL sears out there. I won't discuss the legalities or technicalities, but they do exist.

Eli

gunplumber
March 10, 2011, 09:59
I've never heard of a pre-86 fal sear - doesn't mean there is no such thing but 20 years in FALs and machineguns nd I'd think I'd have heard of it.

And I was pleasantly surprised when ATF approved my form 2 on the Post-86 sear.

AliYahu
March 10, 2011, 14:50
I've seen a couple of them for sale over the years. I remember two, one was fairly cheap and loose, the other was with a (required) sear-cut rifle, but its been a few years. I suspect they were registered soon before May 19, 1986, in the frantic mess.

Eli

Lee Carpentieri
March 12, 2011, 04:04
If their are any transferable Fal sears you would have to install it in a G-Series or a Steyr Searcut Fal and add the F/A ejector block to the Steyr. To have the non searcut receivers machined into searcut receivers and install the Full-Auto ejector block would mean that you would have to have an FFL/SOT-7 do the conversion and then the sear would have to be married to the receiver forever. I wonder if someone submits a request with BATFE under the FOIA if we could find out if their are any Transferable sear?

kev
March 13, 2011, 01:41
You'd have to know the serial number of one of the sears and be a party to its ownership for an FOIA to do you any good. ATF won't tell you about any registered item that you don't own and they won't search randomly for an item to tell you whether or not it exists.

I don't see how the act of fitting the sear wouldn't be considered 'manufacturing' of a second MG. Once the gun(whether sear-cut or not)is altered to take the registered sear,..............it would also be capable of accepting an unregistered sear so ATF is going to consider it to be two separate MGs. And historically, guns that have been grandfathered with 'married' sears were 'married' after the fact,........cleaning up a registration mess of one sort or another. I can't think of anything that's ever been accepted as 'married' intentionally, before the fact. Marriage has always been a slight-of-hand workaround in liu of forfeiture.