PDA

View Full Version : 1928 Thompson "sear gun"

LAFAL
March 01, 2011, 11:29
There is a 1928 Thompson being advertised on a full auto board as a "sear gun" and full auto only (no semi auto setting). I want to know if it's possible to change out the lower frame/parts with a normal one since the upper is the MG?
Would anything have been done to the bolt that would need work, too. Any knowledgeable person please feel free to chime in and educate me. My wife, bless her heart, said that she (#1) wants a Thompson and (#2) it would be a good investment. I love this woman.

stimpsonjcat
March 01, 2011, 12:18
Yeah Jill has said the same as we are looking around for decent investments.

No idea on the technical details...more's the pity.

AliYahu
March 01, 2011, 13:12
Sounds like a converted 1927, not something I'd be interested in unless really cheap.

Eli

LAFAL
March 01, 2011, 15:54
here's the email I got back from the dealer (and it's less than 10 grand):

"As far as legality goes I am not a lawer but he way I see it is that is it all ready a machinegun so what matters if it full auto only or select fire. As far as how to do it I don't know, I have never really took it apart & loked at how the sear is made, you would have to use the sear that is in the gun becasue that is the registered part. I'm sure it could be done by someone that knows how to work on Thompsons, it may be as simple as getting a select fire lower & taking the sear out of it & replacing it w/ this sear but I don't know, I don't know that much about Thompsons as far as how they work. If you have any other questions let me know."

It has a Cutt's comp and can take a drum. Has finned bbl. If the sears would exchange it should be doable?

gunplumber
March 01, 2011, 16:59
not sure if it is relevant, but I refinished a guy's Thompson. I think he was from NJ. Anyway, during re-assembly, I couldn't find the disconnector. I looked everywhere and finally called him to let him know I'd lost it and needed to order another one.

He told me it had been removed, that his state machinegun laws allowed full-auto, but not semi-auto, so the gun was converted (remove parts) to full-auto only.

This may be the case here.

I've not heard of a "sear gun" for a Thompson, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible.

AliYahu
March 01, 2011, 17:39
What are the receiver markings? If it's a 1927 receiver then standard 21/28 parts won't fit aside from possibly the barrel.
It really sounds like a M1927 semi-auto with a 'lightening link' type sear in it. M1927 rifles come with finned (16") barrels, Cutts compensators, and accept drums; the old M1927 pistols are the same except SMG length barrels and no buttstock.
I'd want to see the sear to tell how it works and if it's likely to break, and how easily it could be repaired.
ETA: Connecticut's 'assault weapons ban' bans select-fire guns, they're full-auto only there.

Eli

Topbanana
March 01, 2011, 18:09
That is just about the most retarded law I've ever heard of.

Artful
March 03, 2011, 10:53
Originally posted by Topbanana
That is just about the most retarded law I've ever heard of.

Obviously you have not heard of Washington state where you can own a suppressor but can't shoot thru it. :confused: