PDA

View Full Version : Need thoughts on 9mm suppressors.

kev
February 27, 2011, 12:41
OK, put on your thinking caps,.............this might be fun.

Here's the situation: I just sold my M10/9 to a co-worker. I sold my three M11/9's while I was a Class 3 Dealer. I no longer have anything that will take a MAC 9 threaded supressor, but I think I still have a dozen or so suppressors stored away(bought them cheap when LMO was dumping them). I paid $50 apiece for them back in the day, and now that I'm no longer a current SOT, I'm pretty much stuck with them. They're hardly worth the $200 transfer and if I was to try to get them to someone out of state, it would require a double transfer($400). So here they are on the shelf with nothing to do.

They're not very good suppressors. They were made by Coastal for a MG rental outfit in Vegas and they were made HEAVY and SIMPLE. They're flat washer style baffled cans, 12.5" long, 1-5/8" diameter with MAC threads. They're thick, heavy steel with threaded endcaps front and rear. I can pretty easily spin one on anything semi-auto with MAC threads, but that's pretty limited and basically just more crap I have no interest in owning. All I can think of is a semi M10 or M11 style or one of the KG99 type pistols.

So here's what I'm thinking,.........................

If the rear endcap is permanently attached to the tube(ie. welded)and then that tube is permanently attached to the muzzle of something(ie. welded), then that will add about 12"+ to the legal length of that barrel. I should be able to cut 9mm carbines back to 4-5" barrels and keep above the legal 16" length to avoid SBR. Obvious to me is that I'll probably make a couple of integral 9mm AR uppers. I'm also starting to look around at other possibilities. Pretty sure I'll do one of the Wiselite Sterlings. What else is out there in 9mm?

bykerhd
February 27, 2011, 12:57
Seems like an UZI would be a natural. But, it will be HEAVY !!!
One of the Mech Tech conversions, or even a Kel-Tech carbines would work, but seem hardly worth the time and trouble.

2barearms
February 27, 2011, 13:13
Originally posted by bykerhd
Seems like an UZI would be a natural. But, it will be HEAVY !!!
One of the Mech Tech conversions, or even a Kel-Tech carbines would work, but seem hardly worth the time and trouble.

Since the UZI Barrel is removable it would require an SBR also. My
next Class 3 aquisition will be an UZI SMG.

kev
February 27, 2011, 14:01
I've already got an Uzi SMG and both the 9mm and .45 kits have dedicated suppressors, but I like the idea of the Kel-Tec folders. I've though about doing one of those in the past.

fnogger
February 27, 2011, 23:17
Do a chopped down bolt gun, sorta like a De Lisle carbine but in 9mm instead of 45acp...

Artful
February 28, 2011, 01:32
kev, why don't you send the can off and have a modern Mono-core put in it to quiet it down? I have a friend that did that with an older can - sent off to David Saylor at Liberty and it came back real nice and quiet and can now be cleaned so can shoot cast thru it.

I second the bolt action 9mm - I have a Spanish Destroyer Carbine that I want to do something like this with.
http://guns.solin.net/images/Destroyer_E9_sm.jpg

kev
February 28, 2011, 11:04
I might look into upgrading the cans if I come up with some worthwhille projects. They're super low-tech, but they don't sound awful. They make up in volume what they lack in sophistication. All I've ever tested them on is M11/9 mag dumps at 1200rpm with super-sonic ammo. That's a noisy little gun whether suppressed or not(lots of blast out the ejection port). I think they'd be respectable out of a semi or a bolt.

Whatever I do with the suppressors, they don't need to be the latest and greatest. I do have dozens of better suppressors on other things(one of the advantages of being a C3). Kinda kicking myself because of all the cool stuff I used to have but let go over the years. I had 3 or 4 of those Destroyer Carbines I picked up for around $50 apiece, but they all got sold once they started trading for $200+. What are they going for now? I've still got a couple of the Ruger 77/44's with integral suppressors on them, so I don't know how much use I'd get from a Destroyer if I built one up, but it's interesting.

Same thing with the AR upper I guess. I know I've got one suppressed 9mm upper, but I've got two other 9mm uppers unsuppressed on SBR's. I could swipe the short uppers off those and permanently mount the cans and attach to non-SBR lowers, but then I'd be shopping for additional replacement short uppers. I don't know where any of it would end.

I've got a couple of partial 9mm FAL conversions along with a few WAC receivers, so that's another option. Even have one kit/receiver modified for the Soumi drum conversion(Entreprise receiver). I just really wish Rhineland hadn't gone with the 9mm Para bolt. I haven't got much faith in that setup.

Haven't built one up yet, but I do have a broken down 9mm AK kit here somewhere too. I don't think that would be too difficult to put back together. I've got an unlimited amount of AK flats and a forming press along with several un-spoken-for AMD kits and a whole case of 9mm barrel blanks. I've been squirrelling this stuff away for a long, long time! I haven't got as much free time as I think I do, but with winter kinda dragging along, I'm trying to think of finishing up some of these projects that have been on the shelf.

I'd like to take some of this huge pile of bits and pieces and start rolling out some functional firearms. If I could sort out what I need or want, maybe I could let loose of some of the extra stuff,......................nah.

I'm gonna do the AK and probably another AR upper or two. I guess I could sacrifice some spare barrels and barrel nuts and permanently mount cans to a few subguns that don't currently have suppressors. Those cans would definitely be worth the baffle upgrade. I've got lots of spare barrels and parts for the Beretta 12 and Steyr MPi and those two I'm going to keep forever. Those are my two favorites. But those two are SMGs and I don't need to work around SBR lengths, so maybe it's best to just thread those muzzles and change the endcaps on a couple of suppressors,..............but then what's the point? I can just use better cans I already have for those. I don't know what to do. That's probably why all this stuff is left undone.

The 9mm FAL I just can't quite get comfortable with. Maybe those kits need to go away. And much as I'd like a suppressed SA Sterling, I'm not sure buying more stuff is the answer here. I'm going to have to knock out a few of these easy ones before dreaming up new stuff, but keep the ideas coming. I went back through my closed books and found 8 of these cans left. I did find that I managed to transfer one out to a C3 buddy who still has it on his books(transferred it while I was still current and I'm sure he doesn't want it), so I'm going to offer that one to Ross(the guy buying my M10/9). He can have that one for free if he's willing to pay the transfer on it. Bet that'll make him happy.

kev
February 28, 2011, 11:16
Ohhhhhhhh,......................I just had a thought. Thinking about the Delisle and the Destroyer, but what about this? The cans are 9mm and built hell-for-stout. Fairly large and solid steel so they don't need to be restricted to 9mm Luger. How about something like using them as permanent barrel extensions/integral suppressors on a .358 Winchester? I've got a barrel full of barreled actions,.............mostly '98 Mausers, a few pre-'98's, Enfields, etc. I've even got a half dozen complete 1917 Enfield actions. If I wanted to shoot sub-sonic .358Win though about 6" of rifled bore, I wonder what kind of twist rate I'd need. Say 250gr jacketed(or even cast)slugs? All my 9mm blanks are probably rifled for pistol caliber and probably something like 1:20 twist, so I don't think I could use those. Maybe for sub-sonic cast bullets,.......maybe. I'd want something more like 1:8 for jacketed, but that would be custom. Of course, if I bought a custom 24" blank I could probably get 4-5 usable barrels out of it. I'm LIKING this idea!

fnogger
February 28, 2011, 11:41
How about one of the cheap H&R/Rossi/NEF single shots in 357 magnum?

Artful
February 28, 2011, 13:10
Originally posted by kev
Ohhhhhhhh,......................I just had a thought. Thinking about the Delisle and the Destroyer, but what about this? The cans are 9mm and built hell-for-stout. Fairly large and solid steel so they don't need to be restricted to 9mm Luger. How about something like using them as permanent barrel extensions/integral suppressors on a .358 Winchester? I've got a barrel full of barreled actions,.............mostly '98 Mausers, a few pre-'98's, Enfields, etc. I've even got a half dozen complete 1917 Enfield actions. If I wanted to shoot sub-sonic .358Win though about 6" of rifled bore, I wonder what kind of twist rate I'd need. Say 250gr jacketed(or even cast)slugs? All my 9mm blanks are probably rifled for pistol caliber and probably something like 1:20 twist, so I don't think I could use those. Maybe for sub-sonic cast bullets,.......maybe. I'd want something more like 1:8 for jacketed, but that would be custom. Of course, if I bought a custom 24" blank I could probably get 4-5 usable barrels out of it. I'm LIKING this idea!

1:16-1:12 is factory twist rates in 358, for subsonic I would think 9x19 1:10 pistol twist barrel might work well. I have sort of a similar project with T/C Contender barrel in 357 max.

Just to throw you further off, you could make up half a dozen 9x39 AK's and I bet they would sell real well.

Artful
February 28, 2011, 13:15
Originally posted by fnogger
How about one of the cheap H&R/Rossi/NEF single shots in 357 magnum?
http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/4511/rifle.jpg

kev
February 28, 2011, 14:12
Originally posted by Artful

1:16-1:12 is factory twist rates in 358, for subsonic I would think 9x19 1:10 pistol twist barrel might work well.

What you just said made me dig through some of my reloading manuals and yup, for some strange reason 9mm is almost universally listed as 1:10 twist. That may be tight enough to try. Wonder why it's not 1:18 or1:20 like almost every other pistol caliber?

I'm not too interested in making anything up for sale. I'm no longer in the biz and never really was as a commercial enterprise. I've always been more like a hardcore hobbiest.

The single-shot .357 does have some appeal. Again, it would depend somewhat on rifling twist. I've got plenty that I can launch standard weight bullets from, but heavy sub-sonics from a .357 might be interesting. Next on the list will be a couple of .50cal cans I need to build something around. They're papered, but incomplete. Always wanted to build something(preferably a rifle)that can launch sub-sonic .50cal tracers silently. Don't know why really, but I've always wanted something like that.

L Haney
February 28, 2011, 20:01
Kev, could you describe the 9mm barrel blanks you have a case of?

kev
February 28, 2011, 21:34
I say 'case'. I think I bought 30 of them, but I've used up a few on different projects and friends have snagged some. I probably still have 20 or so, but they're stored at my 'smith's place for easy access. Most of my oddball projects happen there. I'll probably be over there sometime later this week and I'll have to get a look at the interior specs. Probably should figure out what the twist rate is since they're listed as .38/9mm barrel blanks. Kinda think they were an overrun for Timberwolf .38/.357's.

http://www.thedealershowroom.com/catalog/item/1707946/2293266.htm

Artful
March 01, 2011, 02:30
Kev ,if you want a silent AR upper you might look at one of the 338's

338 whisper

338 spectre
http://www.teppojutsu.com/338.htm

or 300 whisper or it's newest incarnation

http://300aacblackout.com/

group buy for cast bullet mold for 300 whisper/blackout
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=102895

L Haney
March 01, 2011, 07:25
Thanks, Kev.

Skilter
March 21, 2011, 23:43
screw it onto a 7.62 and see what you get.