PDA

View Full Version : Question on NFA of 1934

Xrayist
February 21, 2011, 00:23
Hello:
I was reading postings on another forum and the discussion came up on legal rifle barrel length before it is considered an NFA weapon. What I have read in the act is that the legal barrel length for a rifle is 16" with an overall length of 26" as minimum requirements. Some people have posted that originally it was 18" for a rifle as well as a shotgun, but that the rifle length was changed at a different time to 16". Can't find any documentation or mention of that, so thought I would ask here. Was it originally 18" changed to 16" or was it always 16" minimum length for a rifle? Thanks in advance!

kev
February 21, 2011, 21:54
It was originally 18" but then during the '60's I think the gov't was surplusing out M1 Carbines and selling them to citizens and it turned out that a number of them had barrels that were marginally under the 18" limit,..................so rather than prosecute itself for illegal NFA transfers or rounding them all up they decided to just change the law. It must be nice being King. Nobody complained.

dirtyrice
February 22, 2011, 06:15
Interesting. I did not know that.

101ABN327
February 23, 2011, 14:17
Originally posted by dirtyrice
Interesting. I did not know that.

I have one of those Carbines! My Father bought it for me when I was 1 year old. He paid $15.00 through the NRA and is a beautiful 1943 Inland. I wish we could get deals like that today...

RUE? Damned Right!

dirtyrice
February 24, 2011, 05:59
Indeed. I'd take 100 at that price. All the older guys have stories that make me wanna cry.