PDA

View Full Version : SA58 stocks for para-FAL

WolfamongSheep
February 13, 2011, 17:30
Greetings All,

I haven't posted anything here in many many months, but I have a dilema I'm sure someone here can help me with:

I have a superb DSArms para-SA-58. I love the gun. I ordered it in 2008 while deployed and received it when I returned to the US last year. The gun rocks. I had it built with all the option I thought that I'd want: 18" medium contour barrel, steep upper and lower, speed trigger, M-16 rear sight, DSA scope mount, SAW pistol grip, Vortex flash hider, rail equipped hand-guards, folding stock....basically "the works".

I love everything about the gun, but have since come to realize that folding stocks are really only for paratroopers (I used to be one) and tankers. They have little practical use in the civilian world, other than making the gun slightly easier to store or hide. I do not like the cheek-weld I have with the gun (have a Trijicon TA-55E mounted: it is a DEATH DEALER), and generally just don't like the folding stock. It has a high "chicks-dig-it" factor, but that is about all. I suppose if I ever found myself riding in a vehicle and needed to shoot from inside the cab, the folding stock could be useful, but I don't see that happening any time too soon.

Likewise for the railed hand-guards. They seemed like a great idea at the time, because I had visions of adding the usual gamut of AR-15 accessories to this gun, with the idea of making it my "go-to" gun for the zombie apocalypse. Unfortunately, adding all that extra junk to the front of a FAL (already equiped with a heavier barrel and all steel components) makes it just a bit heavier than I care to work with....especially with fully loaded mags.

So, in an attempt to lighten the weight of the gun and do away with unnecessary parts, I'm going to remove the rail hand-guards and replace them with plastic ones. I'd also like to remove the folding stock and install a standard SA-58 butt-stock in its place.

Question: Can a stock SA-58/FAL butt-stock be installed on a para receiver? I'm aware of the differences between the springs and spring guide-rod configurations between the two variants and don't see why I can't attach a standard stock to a para receiver.

If anyone has done this or seen it done, I'd like to hear about it. If any special hardware is required, please mention it in your response. Thanks in advance.

Hope everyone is well,

WaS

Washington, D.C.

embatp
February 13, 2011, 17:34
well the standard lower has the stock tang that the para lower does not...plus you would need to buy a recoils spring tube and allthat comes with...may be better off selling the lower and getting another...or trading....

WolfamongSheep
February 13, 2011, 17:39
Thanks for the prompt response. I suspected I may have to swap the lower. Was hoping there may be a drop-in replacement since there seems to be be so much interest in customized stocks these days, but I guess that market is focused mostly on the AR-15 clones.

One other issue with swapping lowers: if I have the M-16 type rear sight, will it interfer with a standard lower?

WaS

embatp
February 13, 2011, 22:06
ar sight should be ok....

troubleticket
February 21, 2011, 22:44
Why not replace it with an AR butstock? You get the adjustability and there are several stocks with comb adjustments.
You would basically replace the stock and keep the para lower.

preston1026
February 22, 2011, 11:31
if you are looking to reduce weight make sure you switched out with a hampton aluminum lower and now a steel. You should be able to switch out a hampton lower with springs, reg carrier for your para stock,lower,spring and para carrier.