PDA

View Full Version : AIM Glocks

rowjimmy
February 05, 2011, 11:12
Finally pulled the trigger and ordered one of their G17's from the recent round of trade-ins for my daughter to use in IDPA matches.

Seems like a screaming deal given they come with 2 mags, case and night sites. Any of you guys pick one up and if so, what is your opinion on overall condition? How much life left in the night sites, etc...

Thanks,
RJ

gunner30
February 05, 2011, 20:09
Just looked

"Sold Out":confused:

rowjimmy
February 13, 2011, 16:55
Thought I'd follow up with a review.

Pistol was dirty when recieved and seemed to be shot more than I first expected. The breechface looked newish but, ironically, the rifling in the barrel didn't seem as crisp as my other Glock. This is a purely subjective judgement however.

There was some fouling in the barrel and lower receiver which I cleaned up with some mpro7. There was definite wear on the slide. While I would expect wear on the edges due to holstering/unholstering, there were a few "spots" on either side of the slide were the tenifer finished seemd to be slightly worn to reveal the metallic color underneath. Overall, the pistol was in good to very good condition.

The greatest evidence of wear was on the slide release, which appeared to be blued or had a black paint on it which was half worn off.

Took it to the range today and ran through some IDPA scenarios and the pistol functioned flawlessly. Easily held a 2" group at 7 yds, so accuracy is good, given my ability level.

Night sights still have life, but not as bright as new.

Overall, a good buy in my estimation given the cost of a new one.

Ssarge
February 13, 2011, 18:13
The "bare" spot you are seeing is just where the phosphate is worn. The tenifer finish is clear and should be intact still providing hardness and wear resistance, and corrosion resistance to the slide.

rowjimmy
February 13, 2011, 18:50
Thanks for the clarification.

Ssarge
February 14, 2011, 00:22
Glock used to re-do the slide for $35 and would inspect and bring up to current spec for little more.

Stranger
February 15, 2011, 13:35
Originally posted by Ssarge
The tenifer finish is clear....

Not quite. Ferritic nitrocarburizing (e.g. Tufftride or Tenifer Process) does change the color of the metal substrate. If you bead blast the black exterior coating off of a Glock you will see a dull gray color. That is the FeN surface. If you were to mill away the coating you would observe the base metal color. It isn't a coating per se. It is a metal treatment and part of the metal surface.

rowjimmy
February 20, 2011, 22:42
They have some back in stock if anyone is interested. You can find new G17's with night sights for $550, but these are $390+ ship + tansfer fee.

1MOR
March 02, 2011, 20:23
The more ya shootem, the gooder they get! Very hot water, simple green and a tooth brush and its all good for another year of shootin and carryin!