PDA

View Full Version : Favorite 9mm ammo in CZ 75B/85B

txf15crewchief
January 27, 2011, 23:56
I just bought a NIB CZ 85B as a "Christmas gift" and have yet to take it to the range :sad:

My question to yall is, do your CZ's seem to prefer a particular load more than the other? I've read of the 97's having a preference for .45 ACP with a OAL on the shorter side, and was wondering if this was the case with the 9mm. I'm not looking for a defensive load just a basic plinking load that's reliable and accurate.

dwarmbrodt
January 28, 2011, 00:08
I have found Magtech ball ammo to be 100% reliable, cant say the same for Winchester white box. CZ sent me a couple of cases of Sellier & Bellot, and that was the best I shot. Clean and hot. Maybe my perspective was bias due to it being free, but it is Czech ammo after all!

edited to say I was assuming factory ammo. I am no help for handloading advice.

zeke
January 28, 2011, 07:41
Winchester Q4172 has been very accurate and reliable in both cz's owned. And every other 9mm tried in. It is white boxed in 50 rounds, but is not the same round that comes in the 100 round boxes. At least not the last time i checked. It uses Winchesters 115 hollow base fmj, and is available in Walmart or various mail orders. While it is not $6/box anymore, prices are around to $11-12/50

It leaves good brass, if ya ever get interested in handloading.

CTW
January 28, 2011, 20:54
Beleive it or not mine does real decent with blazer aluminum case 115 grain ball. I got alot of it for free once so I shot the crap out of it and never had an issue.

Brian in MN
January 28, 2011, 21:24
Let's turn this one the other way around. Anyone found any ammo that does not function 100% in their 9mm CZ 75's? I haven't.

I have some gold box, not blue, MagTech that does not run in my Argentine Hi Power. Have not tried it in a CZ yet. Rims are different than the blue box stuff.

RKBA01
January 28, 2011, 22:07
Stove pipes with:
115gr FMJ - TCW (Russia)
124gr FMJ - Blazer (USA)

No issues so far:
124gr FMJ - Adcom (M882) (UAE)
115gr FMJ - Winchester (USA)
124gr JHP Gold Dot - Speer (USA)
115gr FMJ - PMP (South Africa)

nightschneider
January 29, 2011, 12:21
I've not found a load that didn't function my CZ75B flawlessly yet; I can't even think of all that have gone through it in the last three years; but a few boxes of every manufacturer to be sure, and a few types of reloads.

Wildcat
January 29, 2011, 16:32
I have a 75 SP-01. The pistol will feed just about anything but the leade in my barrel was not cut very deeply. As a result, cartridges at the upper end of the 9mm OAL could cram the bullet into the rifling hard enough to make unloading a bit sticky.
I load a 124gr FMJ to about 1.160 and this runs just about any 9mm I've used it in.
The cartridges fit in the CZ magazine OK and would fire fine but if I had to clear the gun, the one in the chamber was reluctant to come out.

Its more about the bullet shape than the OAL though. The ogive is subtly different from brand to brand.
I imagine some hollowpoints would be more problematic since the ogive doesn't taper as rapidly.

I ended up having a machinist cut a touch more leade and have not had an issue since (several thousand rounds).

doubletap
January 29, 2011, 21:28
My pre-B functions with everything I've ever tried in it. Usually shoot WW White box 100 round stuff from Wallyworld for practice and use Federal Hydrashoks for real use. Both rounds will hammer pop cans at 50 yards all day long. Magtech isn't as accurate but functions fine and is easy to find locally. Rem-UMC isn't bad either. Heck, even the lead bullet reloads from Ultramax are good in it.

txf15crewchief
February 06, 2011, 00:49
Finally took the -85B to the range today; had to use the indoor range's nasty PMC 115 gr. It just ate it up with no problem, while my Colt OACP had a distinct distaste for the .45 ACP PMC. I'm thinking of going with Winchester Ranger FMJ for range ammo though...

txf15crewchief
February 08, 2011, 16:54
I didn't realize that the Ranger is +P ammo? Are the CZ's rated for +P? If not I'll look into something else.

nightschneider
February 08, 2011, 23:21
you can run +P 9mm in every CZ75 I am aware of.

I'll qualify that...as long as your springs are somewhere near stock configuration; the design is VERY capable of hot 9mm.

mashed68
February 10, 2011, 00:39
I've run almost every type of cheap stuff [federal and winchester from walmart, wolf, colored bears and reloads] along with several good +p hollowpoints and have never had any problems at all in my cz75b.

squirrelblaster
February 10, 2011, 15:00
my cz75bd has fed fine with every single bullet ive ever put in it, that include hollow points, non jacketed lead ball, HD ammo....steel case, brass cased, aluminium cased, my cz does not care its like a chubby kid at fat camp it is always hungry and eats everything!

koponen
March 09, 2011, 01:07
I have a CZ75 and a 75B. Both eat anything wih absolutely no reliability issues - usually cheap S&B, Zenith etc ammo. However, I get very tight groups with Lapua Combat 123gr ammo. Never had a misfeed or other failiure with those either.