PDA

View Full Version : What happend to DB and Cops gone Wild?

akajun
January 26, 2011, 19:28
I cant post a new topic in DB, and Cops Gone Wild has disappeared entirely. What happened?

Andy the Aussie
January 26, 2011, 19:39
Both closed by Admin.

Andy:beer:

akajun
January 26, 2011, 19:42
Oh well, I was about to aggree with John Culver and Jason B that all us cops are Evil too.

Topbanana
January 26, 2011, 19:46
I truly believe both forums served their purpose... To keep that kind of BS in is respective place and stop it where it started if need be.

Andy the Aussie
January 26, 2011, 19:56
I see both sides to the argument for and against. I do agree that this is pretty much a firearm orientated website and there are plenty of pro/against cop sites that people can join to debate the subject till they are "blue" ;) in the face. No need for it here and it IS a source of much angst we can do without.

DB I am less convinced about, without it (to quote someone else), the sewage tends to bubble into the living room, but also the personality clashes that thrive down there are also a poison to the rest of the board.

The jury is out I guess.

Andy :bigangel:

Topbanana
January 26, 2011, 20:06
I didn't care all that much for the cop board either, but we started that after that really obnoxious rash of postings on the topic.

At least it was kept to an easy place to ignore.

I'm sure people will post the same amount of bad cop stories but now in places where it don't belong.

The living room quote is perfect for DB. And it's fun to have an outlet for immaturity! :bigangel:

Jaxxas
January 26, 2011, 20:33
Originally posted by akajun
I cant post a new topic in DB, and Cops Gone Wild has disappeared entirely. What happened?

PMS!

Topbanana
January 26, 2011, 21:55
There's like 12 flame wars upstairs now.

kayakpirate
January 26, 2011, 22:44
Originally posted by Topbanana
There's like 12 flame wars upstairs now.

Where? I'm already going through DB DT's.
I gotta read a purse fight and I gotta do it now!

Topbanana
January 26, 2011, 22:49
Bet you can't guess who's starting most of it!!!

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=304032

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=304034

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=304033

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=303987

kayakpirate
January 26, 2011, 23:05
Originally posted by Topbanana
Bet you can't guess who's starting most of it!!!

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=304032

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=304034

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=304033

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=303987

Thanks...feel better already...shakes are starting to pass.Many thanks :bow: .

Col. Bat Guano
January 27, 2011, 00:38
Originally posted by kayakpirate

Thanks...feel better already...shakes are starting to pass.Many thanks :bow: .

That last link is proof enough that DB needs to be opened up and left to serve its purpose. Yep, the sewer has started to back up into the living room and the turds are floating to the top.

I guess it's time to climb up on the Barcalounger and wait it out on high ground for a while.:rolleyes:

jeager1234567
January 27, 2011, 19:05
I do not know a whole lot about the Dumping Brass area, but if the administrator embargo's the board, there is not much to do about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgq4w4dqKsU

J. Armstrong
January 27, 2011, 19:58
Originally posted by Col. Bat Guano

That last link is proof enough that DB needs to be opened up and left to serve its purpose. Yep, the sewer has started to back up into the living room and the turds are floating to the top.

I guess it's time to climb up on the Barcalounger and wait it out on high ground for a while.:rolleyes:

JMHO, but I think that is treating the symptom, not the disease. There shouldn't really be a need for a "sewer" if everyone behaved in a civilized manner. Given that DB was fun to "play" in for some, it seems things always ended up getting out of hand, and the personality conflicts and vitriol do NOT stay down there but spill over into activity up here. The "sewer" solution seems to be ineffective, maybe it's time to address the source of the turds.

If the denizens of DB kept their games under control and confined them to DB, I don't think there would be any compliant. Personally, I could care less whether it ever reopened.
I truly don't want to see the Files become overmoderated as many other sites are, but if the alternative is allowing some of the behavior to continue perhaps it is inevitable. My feeling is that if we could maintain a reasonably civilized behaviour, the mods would probably not wreak any pogroms on us.

I think Andy has nailed it, and he is correct in that the jury is still out.

Sampson1986
January 27, 2011, 20:51
It's a shame that fools have to ruin everything.

I've been here less than two years, but this is one of the most relaxed boards I've ever been on. Hopefully, it will remain that way - I'd hate to see it become like BARF.....er....ARFCOM. You get banned for the silliest crap over there. :biggrin:

J. Armstrong
January 27, 2011, 21:33
Originally posted by Sampson1986

I've been here less than two years, but this is one of the most relaxed boards I've ever been on. Hopefully, it will remain that way - I'd hate to see it become like BARF.....er....ARFCOM. You get banned for the silliest crap over there. :biggrin:

Amen !! I'd hate to see that happen just as much as I hate to see the attitudes and/or ill will spill over into the "regular" Files. This problem seems to ebb and flow periodically, hopefully this current little shake up will put everything back on track for awhile without ruffling too many feathers :)

Just to put it in perspective, you can see that this problem, in one form or another, goes way back. I like Teds meritocracy argument !

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=110697

Jaxxas
January 27, 2011, 21:56
Originally posted by J. Armstrong

JMHO, but I think that is treating the symptom, not the disease. There shouldn't really be a need for a "sewer" if everyone behaved in a civilized manner. Given that DB was fun to "play" in for some, it seems things always ended up getting out of hand, and the personality conflicts and vitriol do NOT stay down there but spill over into activity up here. The "sewer" solution seems to be ineffective, maybe it's time to address the source of the turds.

I'm sure you are probably correct, but are there any civilized places that don't have toilets? Any civilized people that don't use toilets? And would you want to know them if not? Ever met anybody who doesn't run on at the mouth occasionally? Every place needs a sewer. All plumbing needs a vent. The mistake is in trying to mod a sewer, you only lower yourself to those depths. If your goal is turd herding, mod the sewer. Otherwise, if the sewer backs up (comes upstairs) call a plumber (mod away). In most cases sh!t will settle.

My 2 cents, YMMV.

bykerhd
January 28, 2011, 09:53
I've always read the justification here that Dumping Brass was supposed to keep the more contentious stuff, and often those that REALLY enjoyed themselves there, from causing problems elsewhere.
It didn't seem to really work that way.
And, the general "outlaw" attitude and generally bad behavior seemed to be seeping ?, streaming ? out of there to infect the rest of the Files.

It's kind of fun to be able to cut loose every now and again, but I think we'll be better off without Dumping Brass. For however long it's closed.
The Cops & Tasers forum won't be any loss either.

After all the bashing, thrashing, whining, fighting, name calling, etc. lately, a healthy dose of "civility" would probably be a good thing.:wink:

kayakpirate
January 28, 2011, 09:57
I've been watching this in order
to meet my DB needs...I've found
it to be very helpful.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nAmqP6hStds" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

jugrunner
January 28, 2011, 13:25
Originally posted by Sampson1986

Never happen !!! ... good riddance to DB ... never went to the cop forum ... everyone knows there's 2 kinds of cops ... good & bad ...

Deltaten
January 28, 2011, 23:52
J Armstrong;

T'anks ( ;) ) for the memories! :D I have cut'n'pasted our small end of that discussion for posterity and my own amusement.

That DB is locked? Not surprise here. Cops'n'tasers gone? No loss AFAIC.

Most troubling to me is the degeneration that led to the closure/s. When jocular "duz'ns devolved into vitriolic heckling, endless sexual deviance references and outright nastiness; mediation was well overdue. I will admit to posting the odd rant and a few retorts; but they usually had some point.

I occasionally got quite a laugh out of some of the posts in DB. No doubt I will find some other source for my humor fix. Perhaps one that I won't have to wade thru a sewer for a few gems of wit?

brunop
January 29, 2011, 01:02
I've not made 10 posts in DB in all my time here IIRC, but in the early days there were intelligent people making snide remarks and witty comments. CE made me laugh out loud.

Lately it has been the most ridiculous place on the internet - grown men without a brain in their skulls tossing out 3rd-grade level insults with X-rated vocabulary.

Good show. :rolleyes:

Sig220
January 29, 2011, 01:19
Originally posted by brunop
I've not made 10 posts in DB in all my time here IIRC, but in the early days there were intelligent people making snide remarks and witty comments. CE made me laugh out loud.

Lately it has been the most ridiculous place on the internet - grown men without a brain in their skulls tossing out 3rd-grade level insults with X-rated vocabulary.

Yawn.

And if you were like me most got moved to DB and did not start out there!!

I don't care one way or the other for DB........what??........whatever??:rofl:

AndyC
January 29, 2011, 12:27
Here's how I see it:

A goodly number of folks deliberately relied on the fact that they could say whatever they liked and instead of them getting a timeout, the offensive posts would simply be moved to DB; there was little incentive to moderate one's own tongue, in other words.

That safety-net is now gone and about time, too.

Jaxxas
January 29, 2011, 13:43
Originally posted by AndyC
Here's how I see it:

A goodly number of folks deliberately relied on the fact that they could say whatever they liked and instead of them getting a timeout, the offensive posts would simply be moved to DB; there was little incentive to moderate one's own tongue, in other words.

That safety-net is now gone and about time, too.

I think I understand, instead of dealing with the problem children, mods flushed them to DB? Seems the safety-net was of your own design. So the problem is/was not DB all along, but that the mods failed to do their job upstairs? So get rid of DB and mods will be forced to do their job?

Shrewd! :rolleyes:

AndyC
January 29, 2011, 17:46
Then you don't understand very well at all, do you? :rolleyes:

Mods can't ban; all we can do is some editing and moving of posts - so your implication that the mods weren't doing their job is ignorant.

Like I said - because DB existed, people decided they could say whatever they liked, secure in the knowledge that it would all get dumped to DB. Now DB is gone, people are going to have to moderate their OWN tongues a little closer.

Can you say "personal responsibility"?

Jaxxas
January 29, 2011, 18:18
Originally posted by AndyC
Then you don't understand very well at all, do you? :rolleyes:

Mods can't ban; all we can do is some editing and moving of posts - so your implication that the mods weren't doing their job is ignorant.

Like I said - because DB existed, people decided they could say whatever they liked, secure in the knowledge that it would all get dumped to DB. Now DB is gone, people are going to have to moderate their OWN tongues a little closer.

Can you say "personal responsibility"?

Happily ignorant. Didn't know that mods can't ban. But then it was posed as a question! I kinda thought Mods and Admin were the same, Thank you, I now appreciate the distinction. Seems Mods don't have the proper tools to do their jobs effectively?

I can say "personal responsibility", and will take "personal responsibility" for anything I ever have or will say. But personally I don't think I've ever been your problem. YMMV

As a Mod how do you enforce "personal responsibility" if you can't move it to DB or impose a 'timeout'? What tools are 'now' at a mods disposal?

W.E.G.
January 29, 2011, 18:38
Originally posted by Jaxxas

What tools are 'now' at a mods disposal?

Me.

Jaxxas
January 29, 2011, 18:49
Originally posted by W.E.G.

Me.

Thats it? Just you?

Tough to be a carpenter without a hammer.

DeMilled
January 29, 2011, 19:12

Me.

Someones gonna get themselves some of ...

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii134/desertford/banhammer.jpg

L Haney
January 29, 2011, 19:16
Not necessarily. I believe they can edit individual posts, delete posts, move threads, and perhaps delete threads. The last is considered heavy handed, and the mods we have now are loathe to do some of that. I'm basing that on what I learned on another board, it may not work that way here. Some posters are amenable to a PM asking that a particular behavior ain't gonna' cut it and don't do that no mo', some won't brook any interference at all.

DeMilled
January 29, 2011, 19:19
I have read a few forums, registered with even less, and of those few that I registered with I have posted on maybe one or two.

I love this forum.
The rules here are not hard to follow. Basic common curtesy
and civility will serve everyone here well.
If you cannot be polite and civil than I, for one, will not cry for your abscence.

Jaxxas
January 29, 2011, 19:27
Originally posted by DeMilled

Someones gonna get themselves some of ...

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii134/desertford/banhammer.jpg

If simple conversation is not allowed, it's not a place I want to be associated with at any cost.

Blaster
January 29, 2011, 20:18

Me.

Now I can just I visualize a big ole peacock with all of his magnificent feathers proudly displayed, strutting through the area.:D

AndyC
January 29, 2011, 22:51
Happily ignorant. Didn't know that mods can't ban. But then it was posed as a question! I kinda thought Mods and Admin were the same, Thank you, I now appreciate the distinction. Seems Mods don't have the proper tools to do their jobs effectively?
Now ya know :wink:

Mods are basically janitors, just trying to sweep up and keep stuff as tidy as we can - that's all we can do. Admins have the big toys :rofl:

I can say "personal responsibility", and will take "personal responsibility" for anything I ever have or will say. But personally I don't think I've ever been your problem. YMMV
Sorry - I didn't mean that to come across as pointing at you specifically; you've certainly never been a problem that I've noticed :beer:

As a Mod how do you enforce "personal responsibility" if you can't move it to DB or impose a 'timeout'? What tools are 'now' at a mods disposal?
Gary said it best :D

If simple conversation is not allowed, it's not a place I want to be associated with at any cost.
Now where did you get the impression that bans are gonna happen just for simple conversation? Lighten up and have a beer - jeez, we're not ogres.

Brian in MN
January 30, 2011, 02:02
Thanks to Gary and the rest.

akajun
January 30, 2011, 16:30
I can understand wanting to keep upstairs clean, but just open up DB and CGW and let us all call eachother buggers and douches and crooks and jbt's to our hearts content. If you dont like it, dont go to DB or CGW. Its not like we were draggin anyone else in there and making them read it, you have to click on that little section yourself.

4x401
January 30, 2011, 17:30
Originally posted by akajun
I can understand wanting to keep upstairs clean, but just open up DB and CGW and let us all call eachother buggers and douches and crooks and jbt's to our hearts content. If you dont like it, dont go to DB or CGW. Its not like we were draggin anyone else in there and making them read it, you have to click on that little section yourself.

I guess you don`t get it.

All the petty school girl crap going on in db & cgw WAS, in fact spilling over into the other forums. The same people battling each other there, were continuing their crap upstairs by trolling each others post`s.

I`m happy to see the forums closed.
If the haters feel the need to spew venom at each other, why don`t they man up and call the person on the phone or make a trip to their home???

Why???

Because they are spinless, ignorant, douchebags that only feel important and powerful when they are hiding behind a key board.

I think its pretty damn sad that some poeple think instituting a code of conduct is an invasion of their free speach.:confused:

If thats how those people feel, maybe they should start their own forum to bash and denegrade each other. In case everyone forgot, this is simply a firearms forum. NOT a place to compare penis size and see who can be the bigger bully. If thats the way you need to play, don`t let the screen door hit ya where the good Lord split ya. :bow:

Hollis Wood
January 30, 2011, 17:50
I think it's more a degradation of todays society in general. Where anything goes and there is no sense at all of any kind of decorum.

The attitudes of DB were infiltrating upstairs. You could find it in many posts throughout the Files. It was getting ridiculous.

I thank WEG for taking control of the bus. Others don't see it that way, so be it.

Sig220
January 30, 2011, 20:53
Originally posted by 4x401

I guess you don`t get it.

All the petty school girl crap going on in db & cgw WAS, in fact spilling over into the other forums. The same people battling each other there, were continuing their crap upstairs by trolling each others post`s.

I`m happy to see the forums closed.
If the haters feel the need to spew venom at each other, why don`t they man up and call the person on the phone or make a trip to their home???

Why???

Because they are spinless, ignorant, douchebags that only feel important and powerful when they are hiding behind a key board.

I think its pretty damn sad that some poeple think instituting a code of conduct is an invasion of their free speach.:confused:

If thats how those people feel, maybe they should start their own forum to bash and denegrade each other. In case everyone forgot, this is simply a firearms forum. NOT a place to compare penis size and see who can be the bigger bully. If thats the way you need to play, don`t let the screen door hit ya where the good Lord split ya. :bow:

Well said, now put some legs on those words and contribute...........you know to the board with your cash.........become a contributor:eek:

kayakpirate
January 30, 2011, 21:34
The pissing contests and the purse fights were pretty bad.
Many times it seemed as if that was the only thing
happening in DB.
Still...there were some fun times,drinking threads and
some pretty funny videos that couldnt be shown upstairs.
While I agree that things went way too far and something
had to be done,I'll always remember the laughs and songs
that got me in the basement in the first place.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7paU9Iwk1BE" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>