PDA

View Full Version : 10-22 Mag Issues

BULLDOG
January 14, 2011, 11:09
I have been having some real issues with my 10-22 mags. All are Ruger factory made. The issue is failures to feed.

When I remove the mag, I have observed the remaining rounds lose, and not being forced up to the feed lips. A simple tap on the bench, and the spring expands, and the round is forced against the feed lips.

If this happened with only one mag I would assume it was the mag, however it does it with all three. I disassembled each one inspected and found no issues other than some minor fouling (not enough to cause the malfunction). I cleaned, and reassembled.

On one mag I tightened the mag spring a little tighter than the other two, in hopes this would make it feed easier. Went to range, fired all three mags, all had issues again of failure to feed. I have been using Remington ammunition with copper jacket.

Suggestions welcomed.

SEMPER FI

W.E.G.
January 14, 2011, 12:16
Assuming you have viewed this vid:

******** width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ek4_iFVoKdo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ek4_iFVoKdo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

BULLDOG
January 14, 2011, 12:38
Thks WEG. I had not seen this, but this is how I did it (even a blind hog finds an acorn every now and then). I haven't tried the mags since my last episode, waiting for some decent weather.

SEMPER FI

W.E.G.
January 14, 2011, 12:46
Do these mags exhibit this problem when loaded with CCI Mini-Mags?

catmguy445
January 14, 2011, 13:00
That does sound a bit strange. I've had 10/22's since the late '70's and have never had a factory mag fail to work. Before I could offer a possible cure for your problem, I have a couple of questions.

1. How old are the mags?

2. Are you shooting your 10/22 indoors or outdoors, and if outdoors, what's the temperature averaging where you are when you're shooting?

3. How much spring tension did you put on the mag spring when reassembling the mags? I usually use 2 1/2 turns, and that's always worked for me.

4. Did you use any lube after you cleaned the mags? And if you did, what kind of lube did you use?

5. Have you tried using a different brand of ammo? And what kind of bullets are in the Remington ammo that you're shooting? Hollowpoints or solids?

6. Is this a recent development, or has it been happening ever since you bought the gun and the mags?

7. Have you tried any other brands of mags, such as Butler Creek, Eagle, or Ram-Line?

OK, that was a few more than a couple, but I do have reasons for asking all of them. I live in Idaho and I shoot smallbore silhouette matches with a 10/22, and there was a match last week that I shot. It's an outdoor range, and the temperature was 24 degrees at the start of the match with the wind chill making it about 10 or 12 degrees. I use factory mags, and on the second stage of the match, I had a failure to feed just like you described. The round in the mag didnt' come up to the feed lips until I tapped the mag on a bench. After that, I put the mag I was going to use for the next stage in my pocket to keep it warm until I was ready to fire, and didn't have any more feeding problems.

I lube my factory mags with a very tiny drop of oil on the mag spring and lube the rotor and mag body with silicone (the spray type from a can bought at a local auto parts store), which works real well for me.

I don't know at this point exactly what the problem with your mags might be, but a little more info would probably be helpful in figuring it out.

BULLDOG
January 14, 2011, 15:37
WEG- No on the Mini mags.

Catmguy-
The rifle and mags are about 12 years old I guess.

I shoot outdoors.

Temp ranged from about 55 to 80 F. I shoot in Colorado so humidity is not the issue.

When I reassembled them did the 2-2 1/2 also. On one I did about 3-31/4 at most. Side note, I also tightend one as tight as it would go, and then backed it off about 1/4-1/2, same results. Also after I was done, I loaded each mag and cycled the rounds thru the rifle without any issues. It was only while firing them the issues arose. I'm wondering if maybe I might have some chamber issues allowing the gasses to foul the mags too much.

For lube I used 1 drop Remoil on 2, and drop of WD40 (don't lash me with a wet noodle) on one.

I used the Viper round with minimal issues, but still some failure to feed issues.

These issues probably became real noticable about 3 years ago. I attributed it to dirty mags, so this process started.

I've only used Ruger Factory mags, however my shooting buddy, has loaned me his Ruger mags, and they work fine (which probably disputes the chamber issue theory).

I have noticed that when I have a failue to feed it's usually after about 2-3 mags of plinking. When I lock the bolt to the rear, I notice there seems to be more smoke emitted from the chamber area than one would expect, and when I remove the magazine, I notice smoke rise from magazine feed lip area. I have been shooting these Reminton hp copper jacket bullets for a long time, with no issues. Tried some Winchesters also, hp copper jacketed, same results.

Accuracy is not an issue.

Tks Gents.

SEMPER FI

W.E.G.
January 14, 2011, 15:54
Originally posted by BULLDOG
WEG- No on the Mini mags.

So, the mags work fine with Mini-Mags, and choke on other types of ammo?

BULLDOG
January 14, 2011, 17:16
Sorry, WEG. No I have not tried the Mini Mags.

SEMPER FI

Brian in MN
January 15, 2011, 21:14
Try the CCI and throw away the WD 40. That stuff turns to paste in cold weather.

Timber Wolf
January 25, 2011, 11:50
Buy some new mags, you and the gun deserve it. ;)

Jaxxas
January 25, 2011, 12:05
I've had 10-22's for a long time and have had this problem on and off over the years. Cleaning the mags have helped, maybe another turn on the spring. Sadly to say, the thing that almost always works for me is total rifle action disassembly and a good scrubbing.:rolleyes:

YMMV

bykerhd
January 25, 2011, 13:17
I've had a couple 10/22 mags that started having issues.
Old bullet lube and unburnt powder make a nasty mix in any magazine eventually. The tutorials on Rimfirecentral.com and the Youtube videos like W.E.G posted are a Godsend for the occasional disassembler of 10/22 mags.:wink: