PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading vBulletin

thedrickel
January 12, 2011, 18:38
Any chance we can upgrade to a newer version? I'm sure we can take up a collection for the software license, that won't be a problem. But would it be too much work to implement?

gunner30
January 13, 2011, 08:42
What would be the advantage of an upgrade? This seems to be working fine

Jen
March 30, 2011, 08:12
There are NUMEROUS advantages to upgrading... however there are several issues in doing so. Money is not one of them, time and programming are. The simplest option to upgrade would be to transfer the membership database / accounts over which the board would not have any posts on it at all and archive everything here in a read-only format. The not so easy option is to upgrade and keep everything. This would require a LOT of time to do, so much so I am looking into hiring a vbulletin programmer to handle the transition and I do not think I can personally commit that much time to the project.

Deltaten
March 30, 2011, 13:42
DO IT !!!!!!!!!!
:D
With the exception of a few stickies and the permanent, should-be-read-only reference threads...
Put data on a separate server/machine. Archive it all !!! Say; anything after 12-31-10 at 24:00. Why drag alla that history and debris? Make it ALL read-only and press on with the new. Someone needs to reference an archival post or reply...let 'em cut'n'paste from there.

Seems most of our troubles come from the search function anyway??
Gotta be a way ta archive posts not bumped for 30 days or so. Prune it all back to high speed/low drag, functional, small and agile.

I mean...really....how many gazzillion gigabytes of old posts do we have need of??

best wishes and kindest intent,
Paul

thedrickel
June 05, 2011, 22:19
I think it would be awesome to upgrade. We might be able to access the site during rush hour! :rofl:

IMHO the backbone of this place is the reference data and everything should be done to maintain and enhance the ease of access. I don't think anyone would object to losing marketplace and off topic data, but all of the general and technical firearm (ammo, etc) posts should be front and center.

Jen, give us a # - hardware, software, enough labor to minimize the toll on you. I'm guessing 3-4k? If location is not important we can probably find someone to help with the programming who is friendly to the cause, to work at a discount.

Dopavash
June 07, 2011, 14:25
I got a Benjamin on it. I'm in.