PDA

View Full Version : Buying my first SIG, a P220, tommorow.

Timber Wolf
January 07, 2011, 13:20
I have a meet set up tomorrow after the local “Youth Shoot” to buy a used P220 DA/SA. Comes with the box, papers, 4 factory mags, a Bianchi IWB Holster, and a Blackhawk (I think) OWB holster, as well as some ammo for $500. I have had an old Astra A-80 .45 (similar to the old heal catch SIGs) for a long time and like it a lot and hope I like the SIG as much or more. I have never owned a SIG but have been kind of looking for one in .40 for some time when this .45 came along. This one sounds like a pretty good deal with the mags, two holsters and ammo. SIGs are just high $$$$ everywhere I look, so I am glad to finally be getting one at a price I feel like I can justify. May kick my 645 to the curb if I REALLY like the SIG and shoot it better, but the 645 is sure a looker in all its’ stainless glory! The SIG has a kind of ugly, business like look to it to me. It will be taking most of my gun-fund money I kind of had ear-marked for a new Gen 4 Glock 23 but I can always buy a new Glock. And I get paid again before the next gun show at the end of the month anyway! :D

bykerhd
January 07, 2011, 13:52
Depending on how "used" it is, that sounds like a very good buy.:wink:
They are very nice pistols.

Stranger
January 07, 2011, 14:52
That is a great price. Is it the stainless or the standard? Do you know if it has an internal (early model) or an external extractor (late model)?

I have P220 SS and it has an amazing trigger on it.

Timber Wolf
January 07, 2011, 15:18
Originally posted by Stranger
Is it the stainless or the standard?
Good question, it is black. Did these come in a blackened stainless?

Do you know if it has an internal (early model) or an external extractor (late model)?
Humm, don't know that either. Can't really tell from the pics provided.
Guess there is a lot I don't know about SIGs.:sad:

Stranger
January 07, 2011, 15:36
Yes, there are black, Nitron coated stainless slides available. You should be able to tell if it has an internal or external extractor. On the right side, if you can see the extractor, you have an external one. If you can't see it, its internal.

Timber Wolf
January 07, 2011, 15:56
He only sent one pic of that side of the pistol and it is just blurry enough that I can't really tell if there is the faint outline of an external extractor or not. It does not have a rail.

Timber Wolf
January 08, 2011, 16:00
Just picked it up, looks O.K. with considerable finish (holster) wear to the front of the slide but otherwise the gun looks good and is very tight. I had a feeling it was a LEO trade-in and given that the correctly serial numbered box says "Used" on the bar-code sticker, I am pretty sure it is. It has an internal extractor and is marked "Made in W. Germany". It is a little large for me but feels good with a two-hand hold and I should be able to shoot it one-handed with some practice. Overall I am happy with my new .45.

jt59
January 12, 2011, 11:28
It sounds like you got a good deal. I have an older 220 and it felt a little large in my hand at first, but it has become my favorite handgun. It is ugly but it is easy to use and it is accurate.

MACV
January 16, 2011, 22:25
Sigs are great guns. I believe the 220 has a ramped barrel so it will digest all types of 45 ammo. Even the flying ashtray hollow points. Ive been looking for a good deal on one but they are hard to find around here at any price. The search continues.

Wildcat
February 05, 2011, 13:06
From your description, you have found an excellent pistol - and a good deal. The P220s have a reputation for being accurate and they generally live up to that rep.

"Made in W. Germany" This means it more than likely has vertical grooves on the face of the trigger. It also means it will have an internal extractor.

You mentioned some finish wear. You'll get that. Those older SIGs are superb mechanically but SIG finishes are not robust. They even offered something they called K-Kote but it didn't seem to hold up much better.

Let us know how it shoots.

Squint
February 07, 2011, 17:51
Originally posted by jt59
It sounds like you got a good deal. I have an older 220 and it felt a little large in my hand at first, but it has become my favorite handgun. It is ugly but it is easy to use and it is accurate.

Sigs aren't ugly. Mine is beautiful. How is this an uglier pistol than a 1911?

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh45/fish70/L1A1/MY220.jpg

BUFF
February 08, 2011, 11:01
I bought my first Sig P-220 when Browning imported them in the 1970's and called them something else, BDA I think. I had 2, a .45 and a .38 Super. Both good guns but my interests and likes went elsewhere and I sold them.

I have had my current P-220 since 1988, when I traded it out of my best friend for what I don't remember. He had used it as his cop gun for a few years but is a fickle sort and went on to a Glock provided by his department.

I like it a lot. It is a .45. It is very reliable. The single column magzine gives you a grip that is easy for small hands to control, and it points well. It is a .45. It has good sights. The first double action shot is nothing to write home about but the second and subsequent single action shots are light and crisp and consistent. Plus, it is a .45.

A couple of years ago my department was thinking about disallowing my Colt Commander and all other 1911's. I looked around for what gun had what I needed and the P-220 came pretty close. The 1911 banishment didn't happen, but the Sig would have been eminently usable had I been forced to drop my Colts.

You will very probably like it.

bykerhd
February 08, 2011, 12:08
Those BDA/SIGs turn up every now and again used and don't usually command a very high price. I've passed on a couple of them at 'bargain" prices because I didn't know what they were at the time.

Timber Wolf
February 08, 2011, 13:31
Originally posted by BUFF
I like it a lot. It is a .45. Plus, it is a .45.

What exactly are you trying to say?:D I may actually get out to the range with the SIG and more than one magazine-full of ammo this weekend. :sad: Went out a couple of weeks ago and had so much other crap I forgot my .45 reloads. That is fixed as all my SIG mags are loaded and in the range bag so unless I forget everything I will have ammo. I also just picked up another spare mag for my Astra A-80 and it got me interested in digging the old girl out and taking it to shoot. I could not help but do a little side-by-side with the SIG and dang if I don’t think I like the feel of the Astra a little better. It has a heel catch and a more blocky feel due to the semi-double stack 9 round mag but it feels pretty good. It is also about ¾” or so shorter, kind of a “Commander” length compared to the SIG if you will. I will shoot them together and compare. I swear, messing with this old-school semi–auto stuff and wheelguns (I picked up a 4” 19-4 a couple of weeks ago and have a 6” 66 no-dash inbound. Yep, TWO pinned&recessed S&Ws in TWO weeks) has got me considering getting rid of all my hi-cap, wiz-bang, politically-incorrect plastic wonder guns and only packing steel (or alloy) thumpers from now on. :wink:

bykerhd
February 08, 2011, 13:39
Don't go selling off those other guns Timber Wolf !!! :uhoh:
You'll be sorrrrrry !:eek:

VARIETY !!!
MUST have VARIETY !
Variety.:wink:

If you can afford to keep 'em, don't let 'em go.
They don't eat much and you WILL miss them when they are gone.
Sooner or later anyway.:biggrin:
Trust me on this.:wink:

evan price
February 10, 2011, 07:43
West German P220s are totally awesome. Seriously. I paid $450 for mine with 3 mags, no holsters or box. Your price was darn good.

Sigs like to be run somewhat wetter than a lot of other guns, and they like a thin film of grease on the rails the slide rides on. If yours has the original checkered plastic grips, if you take them off there will be a little clock-looking symbol molded into the back of the grip panel with a year of manufacture and an arrow pointing to the month. This gives you a fairly good guesstimate to the date of manufacture of the gun. Odds are it is in the 90's would be my guess. There's also supposedly a date code in the dust cover but none of my Sigs have this.

Wildcat
February 10, 2011, 19:29
Usually with SIGs there is a date code composed of two letters that is on the slide near the end of the dust cover stamped with the proofmarks.

Squint
February 10, 2011, 22:54
Yeah my BDA (SIG220) is dated HK - 1979

A B C D E F G H I K
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Wildcat
February 15, 2011, 22:30
A B C D E F G H I K
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

I thought they omitted "I" and used "J" for 8

Squint
February 16, 2011, 02:29
I've seen a lot of IB marked HK-91s

ssgrock3
February 18, 2011, 18:37
my '92 dated W. German 220 runs like a top. After owning a 4506, thought this might be similar in shooting and carry weight. No such animal, gun totes well and is a 10 ring shooter.

I just need to learn to conceal it (good holster) and I would ccw it.

jbrooks
February 28, 2011, 19:18
Originally posted by Wildcat

I thought they omitted "I" and used "J" for 8

"I" == "J"

Some parts of Germany actually use them interchangeably. Since the "J" is pronounced like "ye"... There is a town in Germany by the name "Jsny" (old spelling, I use to see it on the road signs) which is now spelled "Isny".

JWB

Wildcat
March 01, 2011, 21:24
"I" == "J"

That may explain why H&K uses "I" and SIG uses "J". Or maybe its up to the proofhouse.

BTW: I have a P226 marked "JK"