PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 60, Whats the best model to buy

MK ULTRA
December 21, 2010, 17:06
I've heard some with the GOLD trigger had a better trigger and shot better.

I've been looking for a while and for the price these look hard to beat.

Some claim 3/4" at 50 yards with open sights with a <$100 rifle is real hard to beat.

Anyway Was one model better than another? There was the Marlin, the Glenfield and I'm sure there was a Sears model.

I watched a youtube vid on breaking them down and its easy so I'M IN.....

Any comments appreciated.

CG&L
December 21, 2010, 18:05
Marlin made good rifles but they are out of business. Maybe Remington will produce some Marlin models

What you've heard about the Model 60 trigger pull and accuracy may not be very accurate

The trigger will be acceptable and no worse than a Ruger 10/22 or most other autos
The gold coloring won't help

I'm sure there will be many Bubbas that get better than 3/4 at 100yds but such groups are usually the result of beer drinking.

Your Marlin M60 will get about 1.25 to 1 in. at 50 yds. A six-pack or two will produce better lies/results than good ammo

Any barrel with a tublar magazine will string shots as the barrel heats up, the Model 60 is no different. The nose of the bullet wil dent, especially hollow points, as they are slid down the tublar mag. This will not enhance accuracy

If you're lucky enough to get one with the embossed squirrel on the stock, this gun will be extremely accurate with all types of ammo. I think the barrels are made by Anschutz
I would expect less than an inch at 125 yards
It will also have an expensive and rare Timney Target Trigger.
This is a rare rifle and worth many dollars

Windustsearch
December 23, 2010, 09:26
I've heard a lot of good things about the model 60, but I have just plain had lousy luck with Marlin .22 rifles. One box mag fed semi-auto couldn't make it through a single magazine w/o stoppages, and two bolt actions with the micro-groove rifling couldn't do much better than 2" at 25 yards.

lew
December 23, 2010, 10:01
An old friend of mine had one that would do MOA. It's been ages, so don't ask what type of ammo it was. Probably Winchester. His was a Marlin with the gold trigger.

CG&L
December 23, 2010, 13:06
The gold trigger won't give you 1 inch at 100yds but the squirrel will

It's all about the squirrel

W.E.G.
December 23, 2010, 14:27
Originally posted by CaptainJ

If you're lucky enough to get one with the embossed squirrel on the stock, this gun will be extremely accurate with all types of ammo. I think the barrels are made by Anschutz
I would expect less than an inch at 125 yards
It will also have an expensive and rare Timney Target Trigger.
This is a rare rifle and worth many dollars

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/smileys/rolling.gif