PDA

View Full Version : P220 .22, or Hammerly Trailside

flyboy
December 11, 2010, 20:15
I have a P220 in .45 ACP but would like a .22 and don't want to just spend money on the conversion kit. Which would you get, the Hammerly Trailside or a P220 in .22?

The Trailside is supposed to be real sweet, what is your opinions? :? Would love to get them both in a perfect world, kinda hard to justify, or maybe I could since I don't own a single .22 pistol, :wink:

kev
December 11, 2010, 21:03
IMHO, the Trailside isn't much of a pistol. Shame really, because I really like the feel and layout of the gun, but the low rent material it's made of makes it little better than a Lorcin. Actually, the material it's made of makes it exactly as good as a Lorcin. Just another zamak hunk-o-junk with a quality name stamped on the side. Slides break or wear out with surprising speed. Do a quick search for SIG Trailside on Gunbroker and you'll find almost as many parts guns as working guns,..............and that's a very bad sign for a firearm that's only been out for around ten years.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about the P220 conversion kit.

JohnnyV1966
December 12, 2010, 17:55
Several months ago I shot a SIG Trailside .22 and was impressed with it's feel and performance.

kev
December 12, 2010, 21:18
Yeah, it would be a beautiful gun if it wasn't made out of potmetal. I have one. You want it?

flyboy
December 13, 2010, 17:15
With this kinda feedback I think I will stick to the Sig P220 .22 or get a Ruger.

xtremerange
December 13, 2010, 18:48
Originally posted by kev
Yeah, it would be a beautiful gun if it wasn't made out of potmetal. I have one. You want it?

Give you $100?:smile:

MGMike
December 15, 2010, 19:08
Zamak is a zinc alloy and non-magnetic. My Trailside has a steel frame, steel slide and steel barrel. A few small parts are plastic, but I found no Zamak.

M

GALILAR308
December 16, 2010, 20:05
I have a new Hammerli Xesse, the new trailside made by Walther. Mine also has a steel slide and frame. I like it a lot. I also have a Sig P220 22LR. It shoots well also but needed to be broken in. If you want something to plink with, get the P220. The Hammerli is more accurate.

Blue Monster
December 20, 2010, 19:10
I am holding my Trailside with a magnets stuck to the frame and slide, it is not Zamak.
It is a wonderful pistol, if you read the instructions it calls for standard velocity ammo. The early issues with them were linked to the use of high velocity ammo. I use CCI SV in it and I have NEVER had a single issue.
I adore mine and I got it cheap!
3K+ through it so far, as accurate as anything I have shot (and I owned an OSP).

Remove the plastic front part under the barrel and put in a Sig weight, it makes the balance way better. Also the safety on mine is noisy, at least that is what the squirrel thought.

perryturner
December 25, 2010, 09:09
I bought a Trailside shortly after they came out. The only problem I've had was a couple of months ago it became very inaccurate. I found the rear sight loose in the dovetail. Tightened the set screw and was back in business.

kev
December 27, 2010, 13:13
I stand corrected on the materials. Mine is magnetic too. Even the trigger guard which I find somewhat surprising because I've seen several of them broken. Maybe it has something to do with the recommendation against hi-vel ammo? The Walther style takedown uses the trigger guard as a recoil stop for the slide. I'll have to look a little deeper into the breakage history and quit spreading bad info. Mine hasn't been a problem, but that's because I've never taken t out of the box it came in. I was afraid of breaking it! Bought it cheap evidently before they figured out what the problem was.................$265 delivered,.................and I've been stewing for years because I thought I'd been had. Still like the pistol and I'll be happy to keep it if it looks like it's going to last a little while.