PDA

View Full Version : What to do about 10/22 triggers?

Timber Wolf
December 01, 2010, 12:32
My head is hurting from trying to decide what to do.:eek: I have two 10/22s, one standard carbine (soon to have Tech sights:D ) and Bull barreled restocked “Target” gun. The Bull has a crappy trigger and I assume (have never shot it) that the standard gun will need some work too. I don’t mind spending what I have to within reason if I get my money’s worth and end up with nice triggers. Here are the choices as I see them:
Polish what I have (what?, how?).
Order some parts (what? where from?), polish and install myself.
Send the trigger group off (to whom and what do I ask for)?
Buy a Timney trigger.
Buy somebody elses trigger set (what?, where?).
Buy a Volquartsen or some other vastly over-priced trigger set (not going to happen in my price range;) ).

I see the Timney as the most I am willing to spend as it is around $150 by the time I get it here. Is it worth it or is there a $100 (or less) option that would work as well?

Illurian00
December 01, 2010, 12:39
This worked for me,,,;

http://greatwestgunsmithing.com/videos.htm

fnogger
December 01, 2010, 12:55
Power Custom trigger kit - $35 or so

catmguy445
December 01, 2010, 16:09
I've used a Volquartsen sear/hammer kit and a Power Custom sear/hammer kit in a couple of my 10/22's, and I can't tell any practical difference between them. They both give a much lighter trigger pull, but both have a fair amount of creep. Since I have some leftover factory parts, I may order one of those Power Custom fixtures and try doing my own trigger job on the factory parts just to see how well it works.

I also bought a Timney drop-in trigger for the 10/22 from Natchez Shooter's Supply ( http://www.natchezss.com ) for $129.95, which was almost as much as I paid for the gun when I bought that particular 10/22. However, it's now pretty much a pure target rifle, with an aftermarket barrel, Hogue stock, the Timney trigger, a Cabela's 3-12x rimfire scope in Warne rings on a Weaver base, plus some polishing on the bolt and firing pin to smooth them and reduce friction, and a polyurethane recoil buffer, for a total investment of about $500 plus the cost of the rifle. The Timney trigger gives a light, crisp trigger pull with virtually no creep and very consistent ignition.

Both the Volquartsen and Power Custom sear and hammer kits cost between 70 and 80 dollars and included the sear, hammer, springs, shims, and instructions. You can buy just the sear and hammer without the rest of the stuff for somewhat less, but you'll still wind up with a total of about $60-$70 for the parts, so I just got the whole kit for a few bucks more. With a factory 10/22 barrel, they worked perfectly, but with the target barrel with a match chamber, I got somewhat inconsistent ignition until I got the Timney drop-in trigger. It's worth the extra money if you shoot competition, but if it's just for plinking or small game hunting, the Volquartsen or Power Custom setups would work fine. I haven't tried the Clerke sear/hammer kits, but the reviews I've read about them were all positive. Hope that helps some with your decision.

bykerhd
December 01, 2010, 17:21
Go over to RimfireCentral.com. !0/22s a specialty over there and more information than any normal human being could ever digest.
Very good site for .22 rimfire issues of any brand. Not that this isn't a good place to start, but lots of the rimfire guys I think just stay with rimfires.:wink:

RC51_Texas
December 02, 2010, 01:17
+1 for the Volquartsen - if you can afford them, they're great.

ICU308
December 05, 2010, 15:24
+1 on Volquartzen . Buy the kit , install it yourself , then drill and tap the back side of the trigger housing for a set screw overtravel stop . Use a "dry" Teflon or Silicone lubricant for re-assembly . It does not accumulate , nor attract dust and grit . Although I have many rimfires , that are used in practice , the 10/22 is one of my favorites . :wink: :beer:

MMichaelAK
December 08, 2010, 00:54
I just dropped in a a new Power Custom H,T,S and springs kit into my 10/22. Second one Ive done. MidwayUSA has them on sale for about $114 every so often and they are worth it. I dont know if a full trigger group from PC or Volquartsen is worth it compared to this.
This one came with the trigger with over travel screw.

It really is a drop in kit. From disassembly to putting down the screw driver, take about 45 minutes.

Ill be doing the third one after Xmas.

akabaron
December 10, 2010, 07:43
I have tried them all, If you have the money buy a Kidd trigger. You will think all the rest are junk after using one. Yea are a bit costy buy 1st time you pull the trigger you will never go back

kd
December 16, 2010, 09:05
I agree, you can't beat the KIDD trigger.

The Volquartsen, Power Custom, etc aren't even in the same ballpark

http://coolguyguns.com/

catmguy445
December 25, 2010, 13:51
Timber Wolf,

Some of the people posting replies obviously aren't reading ALL of your post or aren't paying any attention to your budget specifications. Keeping it under $150 gives you about 3 options.

1. You can get either a Volquartsen or Power Custom sear and hammer kit, which consist of the aftermarket hammer and sear plus the springs and shims to go along with them. These are in the $70-$80 range, and a lot of gun stores stock them as accessories so you won't even need to have them shipped. Both of them will give you a light, smooth, trigger pull of about 3-4 pounds, with a little bit of creep.

2. You can buy a complete hammer, trigger, and sear kit from Volquartsen or Power Custom which, in addition to the sear and hammer, includes the trigger and disconnector and replaces everything inside the trigger housing of the rifle. These right now seem to be running about $118-$120, and will have to be ordered, either from the makers or from Midway, Brownell's, etc., etc.

3. You can buy a Timney drop-in trigger, which is NOT a kit. It's a completely self-contained hammer, trigger, sear, and disconnector in its own housing. All you do is to take out all the HTS parts in your 10/22 and drop the Timney trigger in, then replace the trigger and hammer pins. The only part that's even the least bit tricky is that there are two itty-bitty Allen screws that put tension on the hammer and trigger pins after you have the trigger installed, but if you have a good work light, they aren't any problem. It takes about 10 minutes to install from start to finish. The trigger pull weight is about the same as the Volquartsen or Power Custom, but it much crisper than either of them, plus ignition is more reliable with a match chamber than either of the others. They're the most expensive within your budget range, selling from $129.95 to $149.95. The $129.95 price was from Natchez Shooter's Supply in Mississippi, and I got mine in less than a week after I ordered it from them. Their website is http://www.natchezss.com if you want to take a look.

Kidd does make really good trigger setups too, but their prices are sky-high, and unless you're building a match-grade rifle for serious competition, it's probably not worth paying all the extra money.

Hope there's some useful info in there for you, and I also hope you're having a Merry Christmas today and will have a good New Year next year. See ya around the Files.

johnnycobra
December 25, 2010, 19:10
Originally posted by bykerhd
Go over to RimfireCentral.com. !0/22s a specialty over there and more information than any normal human being could ever digest.
Very good site for .22 rimfire issues of any brand. Not that this isn't a good place to start, but lots of the rimfire guys I think just stay with rimfires.:wink:

I second this advice. for WELL under $100, I got the "ultimate starter kit" from Swampfox @ rimfirecentral. My 10/22 now has a quite respectable trigger. i wouldn't call it a match quality gun, but a vast improvement over the stock trigger.

I believe swampfox may be on hiatus, but perhaps someone else over there is selling his kits? It's worth a search.

gunplumber
December 26, 2010, 10:30
The Timney trigger is garbage - dangerously defective. I emphatically warn against it after having 2 of 3 cause out of battery detonations. The trigger unit vertical position was such that the disconnector could not engage as the hammer was forced back by the bolt, causing hammer follow and slam firing. Furthermore, there was a full 30% difference in trigger pull between the 3 units, from 2-1/2 to 4 pounds (all three bought on the same day).

I've been very happy with their triggers for other guns, but even after several weeks of troubleshooting (they are local so I just bought my rifles down there), their engineer was unable to correct the problem. EPIC FAIL.

Their reasoning is that there is a of of variance in 10/22 trigger housings. Ok, I'll buy that. Their solution is to make an entire 10/22 trigger housing like volquartsen did. That's still pending.

All this for a trigger that was marginally better than the 3# one I did in 10 minutes with the factory parts.

I have no confidence in the unit. the one that worked, was great, but after getting a magazine blown apart and shards of brass in my face, I am not going to mess with them any more. And again, this is the only timney trigger I've had bad experience with - the others - remington, winchester, mauser, AR-15, have all been goodd

catmguy445
December 26, 2010, 11:53
Mark,

Thanks for the heads-up on the Timney triggers. I haven't had any problems with the one I have (so far), but I did have to take a few thousandths off the bottom of the factory trigger housing before the Timney would fit in place properly. So I definitely understand what you mean about the variances in Ruger trigger housings. I think there's most likely a pretty healthy amount of variance in ALL the parts of a 10/22, as far as that goes.

Timber Wolf
January 04, 2011, 16:24
Thanks for the replies guys. I will probably buy the parts and try my hand at tuning the trigger on one of my 10/22s but my 10/22 projects have been temporarily kicked to the curb (back of the rack) by my new honey. It is a sweet H&R M12 I was finally able to pry away from my Bud. He will not hardly miss it as he still has a Winchester 52 and a 75 and a Remington 37! I wanted the H&R because my first and most prized gun was/is a H&R Reg’lar Model 365 single shot .22. I may never shoot the M12 as well as I shot the 365 back when I was young and had sharp eyesight but I will still have fun. Damn this M12 is a HEAVY beast! I am getting sights back on it as it had no front sight and I am looking for a hand stop and front swivel to go with the old Freeland sling I recently picked up. I am having too much fun playing with these .22 rifles. And shooting them is cheap too!

snowhawk jockey
January 04, 2011, 18:55
It is a 10-22... drop in trigger kits are for "tuners" with turnbolts.
Go the WECSOG way:
I am doing the second or third, rimfirecentral.com "JB Weld trigger job", with acceptable results. Cheap, easy, not match grade but a big improvement on the stock parts function. I'll look for the tutorial and post a link when I find it.

edit:
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251087

This one doesn't show the JB on the sides of the sear/disconnect to take up the lateral slop. Doing the sides is a bit more intensive with saran wrap and what not to keep the sear/disconnect clean during application.