PDA

View Full Version : sbr fal ??

hershey
November 13, 2010, 11:39
don't look like to many people camp out here, but maybe someone will reply.

has anyone ever tried to sbr (short barreled rifle) a fal, i know allot of guys have done it w/ the ar-15 platform, but never heard of it being done on a fal. i can't say that i can see much reason to do it, as a 16" barrel is pretty stinkin short already, but i am curious if its been done.

also has anyone ever tried to register a fal reciever as a pistol?

Skilter
November 13, 2010, 12:41
yeah. It's been done... search the archives. I know someone has the picture of that girl shooting an AOW FAL. It had a fireball as big as a basketball out the end. :eek:

DSA does it and I think it is a short gas 13" barrel length type gig.

christopher393
November 13, 2010, 14:44
DSA SBR FALs are awesome, but they dont work with suppressors. I wish to god they would make one that could handle a can Id buy two in a heart beat. They say it bends the piston. I dont know why you couldnt just modify the gas port or something. Anyone know anything more?

hershey
November 13, 2010, 15:00
Originally posted by christopher393
DSA SBR FALs are awesome, but they dont work with suppressors. I wish to god they would make one that could handle a can Id buy two in a heart beat. They say it bends the piston. I dont know why you couldnt just modify the gas port or something. Anyone know anything more?

i imagine they would work, but not w/ the typical powders used for 308, if its stressing the gas system then the pressures are to high, a slower powder would probably work, or maybe it would need to be a quicker powder that built peek pressure before it reached the gas port

BigBoy1
November 15, 2010, 10:03
Originally posted by hershey
has anyone ever tried to sbr (short barreled rifle) a fal, i know allot of guys have done it w/ the ar-15 platform, but never heard of it being done on a fal.

also has anyone ever tried to register a fal reciever as a pistol?

SBR - FAL. If isn't broken, then don't try to fix it! I think it would be a waste of time and money. What would it accomplish? If need someting for close-quarter combat, get a shotgun.

I did the BATF paperwork to convert a semi-auto FAL into a selective fire FAL. This was done long before the 1986 ban on the manufacture of machineguns.

jaykden
November 15, 2010, 12:58
i had a 12" FAL 'pistol'... (no buttstock).

i ended up selling the front end off and have regretted it ever since. it would be a registered SBR now if i still had it.

it was accurate and it chrony'd at 2400 FPS with mil surp 7.62, not bad for a short little barrel.... better ballistics than 7.62X39

it would have made an ideal brush gun for deer as an SBR.

it just didn't feel right to shoot it with no stock.

adam762
November 15, 2010, 23:20
I build them that way all the time. I will admit I don't see much purpose in it but an 11" BBL will MOST CERTAINLY get attention at the range. They are handy, and with a folding stock, if you need something with a good bit more OOOMPF than an AK but still in a small package then it's a good deal.

They work well enough, if you have a need for it. Or want. Either way. No special ammo requirements.

AlaskanMBR
November 17, 2010, 20:55
Originally posted by jaykden
it would be a registered SBR now if i still had it.

It is a registered SBR now. :)

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff244/akmbr/CIMG0511.jpg

jaykden
November 18, 2010, 01:13
:love:

Cava3r4
November 18, 2010, 13:42
ask gunplumber under the FAL forum is my suggestion.

DesertFALrat
November 18, 2010, 19:09
I have one.

First it wore an 11 inch barrel, then a 13". Now it wears a 14.25" barrel and a stoll FH.

I like it and it is very handy. Works flawlessly.
I keep it with a full stock because I'm not into the folders.

The 11" barrel was tempremental, but the 13" and the 14.25" worked like a charm.

I did it more for the fun of it than for the utility. It would be better (more fun) as a F/A.

dfr

copenhagen
December 08, 2010, 14:24

I called DSA yesterday and was told that there are NO issues running a suppressor on their OSW's. Very curious because I purchased an 11" OSW on the 2nd and form4 is in the mail.