PDA

View Full Version : Suppressor/Velocity Question....

K. Funk
November 13, 2010, 07:36
I am thinking about getting a supressor for an M4 style AR. Do suppressors affect the muzzle velocity of the bulllet ie, would the MV of the .223 bullet change with and without the suppressor?

Thanks,

krf

BigBoy1
November 13, 2010, 09:56
Originally posted by K. Funk
I am thinking about getting a supressor for an M4 style AR. Do suppressors affect the muzzle velocity of the bulllet ie, would the MV of the .223 bullet change with and without the suppressor?

Thanks,

krf

I depends upon the design of the suppressor. If the suppressor is one in which the barrel has holes drilled its entire length, like the WWII suppressor for the M3A1 Greasegun, then yes the velocity will be reduced because gases are being bleed off before the projectile leave the barrel.

If the design is one where the suppressor is attached to the muzzle and "traps" the gases, then the velocity change is not enough to be concerned about. The velocity of the projectile is a function of the gases in the barrel. If there is a suppressor attached or not one attached, the velocity the bullet leaves the barrel would be the same (given the variations in velocity of the individual rounds of ammunition). The trapping of the gases as they leave the muzzle should ideally have no effect on the projectiles velocity.

Bill