PDA

View Full Version : Commodities

Skilter
November 03, 2010, 21:41
What commodities are you guys currently looking at to dump some monies into? Any specific stocks, ETFs, etc... are you all looking at?

gates
November 03, 2010, 21:56
Skil - based on what I read in a paid newsletter tonight - anything emerging mkt in ASIA! - DAMNED depressing! we're fuked.

Skilter
November 03, 2010, 22:51
yeah... I was looking at TIVRX (Thornburg Int'l) as a start. I am a bit worried about management changes though.

What would you think about AIA? or especially FNI? I am really looking at the latter in the next couple days.

I am a bit worried about the cash and bond holdings of Pimco's Total Return (PTTDX) in the near future.

Thoughts? This is the Economics AND Investing forum.:D

gates
November 04, 2010, 00:50
CASH bro! under the mattress!. On TOP of a huge pile of gold and junk silver - I am dead serious!

chiefd
November 04, 2010, 01:07
Gates: Couldn't agree more on the physical holding of PMs. Look at the "gain" junk silver has made this year - up 150% YOY. And yes I know that really means the $ is worth a lot less in real world terms. I watch PIMCO reports to see the change in $ vs Aussy $ and EUROs.

gates
November 04, 2010, 01:17
All PM's do is PRESERVE buying power - you will NOT get rich - you WILL preserve wealth at par - but you CANNOT eat it! better damn well have at LEAST 6mo worth of food and water stored before you buy your first OZ! AND have a few months of FIAT in the safe - if this is all BS you have lost NOTHING in interest by having YOUR money in YOUR hands.

Skilter
November 04, 2010, 10:38
Got my 6 months. Food, cash, water, ammo, TP, all of it. Now I need to preserve my retirement.

I have some in oil ETFs and Gold ETFs bonds and cash. I am thinking I need to move out of the latter two somewhat.

The stock market is going to go crazy for the next few months until sometime in the early part of 2011 would be my guess. Yes, it's all about timing. But, in the meantime... there IS money to be made.

gates
November 04, 2010, 11:07
Agreed - based on what we see today - throw a dart and go long everything is up.

tuck0411
November 04, 2010, 13:11
After dumping a few grand into Fidelity Select Materials on 9/30, it's up just under 9%. It was rated 5 stars by Morningstar and after considering that BB is likely to continue kicking the can for awhile, I figured I might as well make some money while it was still there to be made. Got my stash of food, ammo, PMs, fiat, etc., so I'm with Skilter - may as well make hay while the sun is still shining.

Edited to add - that "just under 9%" figure is now "just over 12%" after today's action. I might just have to become a fan of can-kicking BB after all...

jdluton
November 04, 2010, 17:22
Originally posted by Skilter
What commodities are you guys currently looking at to dump some monies into? Any specific stocks, ETFs, etc... are you all looking at?

Extra monies getting dumped into long-term food stores.
Precious metals: Gold and silver holdings (physical) are good for now....brass and lead holdings need to be increased tho.....

gates
November 04, 2010, 20:49
heh - Crammer admitted today that his PERSONAL retirement accts are 100% invested in PM mining stocks - after Julian Robertson (look him up) told Erin that Bill gates was the smartest businessman in America and he (Gates- no relation) wasn't buying PM's - he was buying the MINING COMPANIES that MINE pm's:-)

alant
November 07, 2010, 12:53
If you are Bill Gates you can buy the whole company.

By land, lots of land, under starry skies above! They ain't makin' no mo' land.

Skilter
November 07, 2010, 20:02
you guys are nerds... come on... real funds, ETFs or stocks... Isn't that what this forum is about?

I am in GTU... and a few others... anyone?