PDA

View Full Version : Cimarron 44

MAINER
October 17, 2010, 10:36
Anybody here shooting a Cimarron SA Model P? I have run across a couple in .44 Special. One is in Stainless and the other is the more convential blued model, with both selling in the $460 range.
Thinking of trading my .45 Colt Uberti Regulator for one. Always had a fondness for 44 Specials.

?

W.E.G.
October 17, 2010, 10:45
Wouldn't it be fair to say that the Cimarron and Uberti guns are pretty much even in terms of quality and resale value?

What does the .44 Special do that the .45 Long Colt doesn't do better?

Don't get me wrong, .44 Special is plenty cool - but giving up the .45 in the exchange seems like an odd step.

brownknees
October 17, 2010, 11:04
Kinda-sorta.
Many of the Cimarron guns were made by Uberti & imported by Cimarron, so to that extent yes they are (or at least were for the cap & ball models). However Cimarron were cherry-picking from the Uberti production line before re-branding so there is some argument that a "Cimarron- Uberti" is possibly better than a "Uberti-Uberti" as the "Friday Fords" were eliminated at the pick process.:]

W.E.G.
October 17, 2010, 11:05
right on

MAINER
October 17, 2010, 11:27
As far as resale value, they are approximately the same. In the quality department, Cimarron has the edge as the guns are supposedly fitted and finished by Cimarron to a higher degree than Uberti's. Uberti is catching up, maybe because of Baretta's ownership?
I haven't seen recent Uberti's, so not sure.

Giving up the 45 Colt? :uhoh:
Only giving up one of the 45 Colts! Besides, I'm running low on 44 Specials, only a S&W M24 left and none in a SA. :(

Overall, I favor the 44 Special to the 45 Colt. Lots of reasons, wider range of bullet weights, cast bullets, I mean. Stronger cylinder due to thicker chambers, especially in the bolt notch area. Plus I have 4 or 5 bullet moulds for 44 slugs and the best one of all, a Saeco gang mould that turns out lots of really nice bullets with little effort and nearly zero rejects.

dirtyrice
October 17, 2010, 11:38
I've been wanting one for a little while. I plan to get the evil roy version in .357. The evil roy guns are tuned more and have checkering and such. Evily roy is a competition cowboy shooter. They made up some lever actions and single actions with his name. I'd really love a top break russian but I need to save my pennies.

I want mine in .357 because a. I can shoot 38's in it. and b. I can get .357 almost ANYWHERE and it's cheaper than 44mag,44 special or 45 colt.

molotov
October 17, 2010, 16:39
Anybody here shooting a Cimarron SA Model P?

Just sold one.

I want mine in .357 because a. I can shoot 38's in it. and b. I can get .357 almost ANYWHERE and it's cheaper than 44mag,44 special or 45 colt.

I'd still rather the .44 special than any of them. And a pipe as long as you can find.

In the quality department, Cimarron has the edge as the guns are supposedly fitted and finished by Cimarron to a higher degree than Uberti's. Uberti is catching up, maybe because of Baretta's ownership?

I had a Model P .45 I got for cheap, but the barrel was ever so slightly out of time and it drove me nuts so I got rid of it. Lock up was really tight, just the slightly off center front sight messed with my shooting. I could point shoot 2x2 foot steel plates at 100 yards but couldn't hit anything precisely with it in terms of target shooting....

I have seen both brands and IMO they are more or less the same. A well put together Uberti is just as good. Dude is looking at the Evil Roy model, which is probably the way to go.

Next time around it's a 12" barrel running H110 and XTP 250 grain for me.:)

What does the .44 Special do that the .45 Long Colt doesn't do better?

In the cowboy guns? Use less powder and lead and still give more or les the same numbers. Unless you talk Ruger Blackhawk loads, the .44 special runs with it more or less.

TideWater 41009
October 17, 2010, 22:50
Originally posted by dirtyrice
... I want mine in .357 because a. I can shoot 38's in it. and b. I can get .357 almost ANYWHERE and it's cheaper than 44mag,44 special or 45 colt.

That might be true, but the .44's and .45's are much more satisying to shoot, in my opinion.

STGThndr
October 18, 2010, 00:46
Interesting thread. The ".44 Smokeless" remains one of my favorite revolver rounds both for shooting and reloading.