PDA

View Full Version : Weaver C4

metalreptile
October 10, 2010, 23:29
My father-in-law picked up an old Weaver C4 scope recently at a yard sale......got it for 5 bucks. As he always has to make a profit, so I gave him 10 for it today.....lol. Mid 60's, early 70's from what I've read. Figured it would go well with my 1965 Speedmaster. Has the Weaver tip off mount, but was missing the turret covers & lens covers. Picked those up on Gunbroker for 8 bucks. So I now am $18 into an old Weaver scope. But it goes so well with that old Speedmaster! Anyway, I put a drop of blue loctite on each mounting screw & snugged 'em down. Gonna take it out tomorrow & find out how much adjusting i gotta do. Good clear optics & great condition other than the missing parts, but it will be complete again very soon now!
Now I have a stupid question. When I zero it in......there is a small screw beside each adjustment screw......do I need to loosen those before moving the adjustment screws? Never been much of a scope kinda guy....but my tired old eyes are telling me it's time to become one :-/

MAINER
October 11, 2010, 09:08
Used to have a few old Weaver .22 scopes, but I think it was a "J" series. Don't remember having to do anything with small screws near the adjustment dials.

Tried to find something on the web, but came up with this;
http://riflescopeandmount.com/Weaver-C4-Rifle-Scope.html

" A weaver c4 rifle scope. a is normally mounted on the underside of the barrel of a gun, because they tend to be too big to climb on top of scope. Material light and strong tend to be expensive, and while the media are less important than the quality of optics, it is important to make sure that the consequences of spending less agreed upon decision. It is also a good idea to keep them vertically as close to the exit of the barrel as possible so that the ball drop over the distance is minimized."

:rofl:

Some pretty funny reading on that site. I suspect a "Frenchie" had a hand in the translation. :D

metalreptile
October 11, 2010, 10:15
Wow....I'm definately gonna have to try that mount on the underside of the barrel!! :rofl:

dwarmbrodt
October 11, 2010, 12:46
What timing! See my post from a couple of days ago about buying a Remington 581 with a Weaver V22 scope on it. JUST got home with it, and saw this post. I happen to be holding the original user manual for the V22, C4 and C6 scopes. NO mention of what may appear to be locking screws.
"Guaranteed accurate windage and elevation adjustments are internal and provide exact sight changes without play or lost motion. The friction lock adjusting screws are graduated and can be set with a coin or cartridge rim. Each graduation gives a one-inch change in point of impact at 100 yards. Adjustments are fully protected from dirt, moisture, and tampering by the streamlined turret and self-sealing caps."

Snakeshot
October 11, 2010, 18:11
I have a couple of the G4.
That narrow steel tube looks great on a vintage rimfire!

metalreptile
October 11, 2010, 19:16
Originally posted by dwarmbrodt
What timing! See my post from a couple of days ago about buying a Remington 581 with a Weaver V22 scope on it. JUST got home with it, and saw this post. I happen to be holding the original user manual for the V22, C4 and C6 scopes. NO mention of what may appear to be locking screws.
"Guaranteed accurate windage and elevation adjustments are internal and provide exact sight changes without play or lost motion. The friction lock adjusting screws are graduated and can be set with a coin or cartridge rim. Each graduation gives a one-inch change in point of impact at 100 yards. Adjustments are fully protected from dirt, moisture, and tampering by the streamlined turret and self-sealing caps."

Awesome!! Thanks for the info man! I didn't get a chance to zero it today, but at least now I know I don't need to mess with those screws! Can't wait to try it out......that old scope really makes that Speedmaster complete. I agree with ya Snakeshot....they do look great. Both made back when stuff was made well, and made with pride, in the USA!! :beer:

dwarmbrodt
October 11, 2010, 20:16
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t313/fal76251/Weaver.jpg

metalreptile
October 11, 2010, 20:48
Thanks again man! I saved this in my files! :beer: :beer: :beer:

dwarmbrodt
October 11, 2010, 21:21
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t313/fal76251/Weaver1.jpg

Timber Wolf
October 25, 2010, 15:18
I love old Weaver scopes. I used to buy every old 4X Weaver I could find at a good price and have several mounted on "period" correct rifles. I recently bought an old Winchester 74 that came with a scope already mounted and I have to admit I have not looked very closely at it. It may be one of these little Weavers. I do know it is just a little fuzzy around the edges but capable of good accuracy none-the-less.

angusmac
October 25, 2010, 22:54
If I remember correctly, those little screws you are seeing actually hold the adjustment bases on the tube.

Windustsearch
October 26, 2010, 05:39
I have several, including a G6 (N2 mount) on an old Savage model 6. The optics are not good quality but they are okay for close range. I like the really thin cross hairs, and of course the blued steel.