PDA

View Full Version : Any Python fans here?

tx_oil
October 02, 2010, 22:16
Just curious. Are there any Python owners/fans (how can you NOT be?) lurking here?

This is my 1975 Python 6inch nickel finish...

http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu27/tx_oil/PythonandGaucho005.jpg

http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu27/tx_oil/PythonandGaucho008.jpg

Jailguard
October 02, 2010, 22:25
I have my Dads he carried it as a duty gun for years was reblued by colt twice and then finally hard chromed. It get shot very little now but still hold the top spot in the gun safe.

Vaughn L. Allen
October 02, 2010, 23:31
That's a really nice revolver!

I have a mint 4" blued Python and it stays in the safe now. Pythons are too expensive and I don't want to risk dicking it up. I have a fairly nice 4" Diamondback that my son and daughter like to shoot.

gobbler
October 03, 2010, 04:21
Sweet there Tx....... I have a a trooper that looks like that. There is one at the pawn shop for $1,450 I saw the other day but I caught myself & walked away.
gobbler

MAINER
October 03, 2010, 07:54
Always had a yen for the Python, but never found one at the right time for the right price when I had the money. Really nice S&W's were usually available for $100 or so less, which didn't help the situation.

I did get a Colt King Cobra, kind of a gussied up Trooper I believe. It's a 4" in SS with a nice smooth DA trigger and I'm pretty happy with it.

Fine looking handgun you got there TX! :shades:

Combat
October 03, 2010, 10:14
I have this old beat up one, it's had almost a whole box of ammo shot out of it.:angel: http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp60/combat10/009-1.jpg

tx_oil
October 03, 2010, 11:25
Combat, I feel badly for you, having the shame of that old beat up wheelgun..tell ya what. I'll trade ya a box of ammo and TWENTY AMERICAN DOLLARS for that worthless old scrap metal.

DJ
October 03, 2010, 13:40
Really nice gun, tx_oil.
I have an early '60's vintage Python that I picked up in '92. It's a 6 inch nickled gun. I don't really care for nickled guns, but at the time rumors were flying that Colt was going to stop civilian production so I grabbed it. Glad I did cause it's the last Python that I've seen for sale since.
It has a gorgeous trigger pull, but I've never heard of a Python that didn't.

Retired Bum
October 03, 2010, 14:09
I'm on my third Python. It is a 1975 made six inch blue. I pulled off the factory grips and installed a set of Pachmayr Grippers. Not as pretty but those sharp checkered walnut grips ate the palm of my hand up under recoil. I lucked into this piece quite by accident. A friend of a friend owned it and was looking to sell for cash. I checked it over and nailed it for $375. One of the better deals I have had in my time.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

Andy the Aussie
October 03, 2010, 16:53
My first centrefire revolver was an old beat up Python with a little egg in the barrel from a squib load. I shot the bejesus out of it over the next couple of years until the timing went. Egg and all it could still hold the 10 ring at 25yds...!! I gave it to a mate who had it re-timed and blued and it went back to work. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Douglas S Graham
October 03, 2010, 19:38
Sold mine when I sold the collection back in the good old bad days. What a gun. NICE action, for a revolver, none better that I ever shot. Miss it muchly. But, I paid 350.00 new, and can't come close to replacing it at 1500.00 , today's asking price for a new one. I don't miss having one THAT much!!:eek: :eek:

steve3320
October 03, 2010, 20:40
My Dad bought one years ago from a friend who decided being a TX DPS officer wasn't for him, after he had bought the gun. Don't know the year, but would guess late 70's due to the time of purchase. 4" nickel --- I don't expect (or need/want) to inherit much whenever the time comes, but I have repeatedly told him that if he ever sells that gun to anyone other than me I will have to find a sub-sub-standard nursing home in Bangladesh for him. It is the most well balanced pistol I have ever shot with a perfect trigger pull. Definitely a "show and go" piece of equipment.

brunop
October 03, 2010, 22:28
Wanted one since I was 12. Hated myself for not having $350 when Bi-Mart was closing out their handguns - it was the six inch nickel version.

Decided to hunt me up one a few years ago. Looked on gunbroker, but the only ones were 4" blue ($1000), or 6" blue (1200-ish). Finally found one out of the Custom Shop: not nickel, but brushed stainless steel w/ 6" barrel. I'm not a Colt expert, and I didn't check to see if Colt actually made SS Pythons. I paid every dollar it took to win that auction so I could give a 40th b-day present to myself a couple years ago.

Now I have the one I wanted. Only took 28 years.

SWOHFAL
October 04, 2010, 01:03
Originally posted by brunop
Wanted one since I was 12. Hated myself for not having $350 when Bi-Mart was closing out their handguns - it was the six inch nickel version.

Decided to hunt me up one a few years ago. Looked on gunbroker, but the only ones were 4" blue ($1000), or 6" blue (1200-ish). Finally found one out of the Custom Shop: not nickel, but brushed stainless steel w/ 6" barrel. I'm not a Colt expert, and I didn't check to see if Colt actually made SS Pythons. I paid every dollar it took to win that auction so I could give a 40th b-day present to myself a couple years ago.

I have one of these and for as nice as SS is as a low care finish, I'd rather have a blued gun from when QC was better.

tx_oil
October 04, 2010, 06:59

I, also, fell under the Python's sway when I was about 14 ( in the mid 70's) and swore I would have a 6 inch nickel version some day. Fast forward 30+ years, and I still had not acquired one. I'm in a LGS, tiny hole in the wall place, and passing my eye over the counter when I see it. A PERFECT condition 6' nickel Python, with target grips. I've been following Pythons on Gunbroker so I know how much these things have been bringing, and when I ask to see th one in the case, I almost passed out when I saw the tag--$700!
I jumped on that like a duck on a junebug!
Brunop--yes Colt DID make SS Pythons, and the stainless models are the current price champs on Gunbroker. Seems everyone wants a SS snake now!

brunop
October 04, 2010, 10:58
Originally posted by SWOHFAL

I have one of these and for as nice as SS is as a low care finish, I'd rather have a blued gun from when QC was better.

Mine's pretty nice, but I know what you're saying - hard to match the deep blue and what it meant for finishing.

Maybe I'll need a 50th birthday present in a few years...

GSP228
October 04, 2010, 12:39
Mine is a 4" blued that was my duty weapon many years ago. I always liked the one that Big John Wintergreen carried in "ElectraGlide in Blue". It had a nickel frame and blued cylinder and barrel, or the other way around. CRS is acting up.

Timber Wolf
October 04, 2010, 15:38
Have a 1965 era blued 4". What I would call "Shooter Grade". In other words, used but not abused. A very sweet gun you would not be afraid to take out and enjoy or even carry a little in the right holster. I am into it right price wise so I feel like I got a good gun I can actually shoot and use. I too swapped out the factory wood for Pac. Grippers and like it even better. I missed a blued 6" for $750 locally a couple of months back by 10 minutes. Still hurts my feelings. To be honest I have several .357s I enjoy shooting almost as much. A 5" pre-27, a no-dash 28, 4" Service-Six, 2 3/4" Speed Six, 2 3/4" Security Six, 4" GP 100, 3" SP101, Dan Wesson Pistol Pac (2.5, 4, 6, 8, vent heavies), and even a New Model Ruger Blackhawk w/spare 9mm cylinder. Oh, and .357 Contender Barrel! :rolleyes: I just like .357s but yes the Python is my favorite of the bunch, as in if I could only have one...... But you know the Speed Six fits a niche and the SP101 is just so damn cute and packs easy, and the 5" 27 balances well and the Dan Wesson is so handy, and, well is is a good thing I can not have only one!:biggrin: :biggrin:

planner
October 04, 2010, 17:34
I have a 1978 (approx) 6" blue Python. Once you've owned a Python, you will compare every other revolver you shoot to it. My cousin has a 6" Python he bought when I was a little kid (I went with him to Bolsa Gun Works in Calif when he bought it) that is still the ONLY handgun he uses regularly. It accompanies him on his fishing trips, now.

angusmac
October 04, 2010, 18:04
I'm down to two ol' beaters. My favorite is the deuce.
http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/ww160/angusmac/PYTHON-4003.jpg

http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/ww160/angusmac/PYTHON-2001.jpg

Sweet revolvers. Both of them shoot a lot better than I do.

SWOHFAL
October 04, 2010, 21:32

Mine's pretty nice, but I know what you're saying - hard to match the deep blue and what it meant for finishing.

Maybe I'll need a 50th birthday present in a few years...

Actually it isn't that, but that I would trade a less durable finish and mechanicals that are well-tuned for a gun that has a durable finish and had mediocre assembly quality. The old guns work much better because they had folks who knew what they were doing, while the new ones were put together by the UAW after the old-timers retired.

Nomad, 2nd
October 06, 2010, 23:17
Had an early 70's 6 inch nickled.

Traded it off and don't miss it.

Have a pile of Smiths, many with better triggers (I've shot several Pythons) few Dick specials, and the odd Police Positive and Ruger...

STGThndr
October 07, 2010, 07:10
I bought my 4" Python new in the late 1970's, as an act of Pride and Possession. The deep blue polish made the sale. It has been used some especially in the early years, been coon-tuned by a smith and is the slickest, nicest looking revolver I have ever owned. It is also heavy for the cartridge, in my opinion. Wish they had made them in .41 mag.... It was traded off once, repurchased by my late brother, then came to me again with a case of 1000 rnds after his unfortunate passing. I put a set of Pachs on it and traded them for finger groove Hogues. Still have the original box, the piece is clean and about new shape... Somewhere the wood (useless) grips have been misplaced, I assume the grips are numbered to the gun, hope to find them someday because Id like to keep them with the gun.... can't remember the last time I shot it. It is too nice to shoot... or lug around. Rather heavy as well.
A few years back I had the opportunity to purchase another Python, which I declined. The local PD was selling an evidence gun that had been used in a murder-suicide locally. Didnt want the karma.

LAFAL
October 07, 2010, 08:04
There's a pistol called a python? They named it after the British comedy team?
How very nice of Smith and Wesson to do that. I'll have to look for one.

Windustsearch
October 07, 2010, 09:16
Yeah, big fan of those and the older S&Ws. I haven't gotten around to buying the 4" Python I need yet. Here's a 1982 Diamondback I inherited.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/Windustsearch/Colt003.jpg

Retired Bum
October 07, 2010, 14:15
STGThndr,

You might be amazed at what a set of the older walnut grips for the Python are worth these days. I've seen $150 and up at gunshows for new looking ones.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

Retired Bum
October 07, 2010, 14:22
Diamondbacks, the junior grade Pythons.....

I have a pair of four inch blued Diamondbacks in .22 LR and .38 Spl. Occasionaly I will take them out of the safe and go to the range with the pair. Put a box of cartridges through each one just for old times sake. Sometimes other shooters at the range will see the pair and get all hot and bothered. I've turned down $1000 for the pair. I really don't keep up with the latest auction prices but the last I saw really nice D-backs in either caliber were going for $1000 and up. I don't think that they are worth that kind of money but then Colt isn't ever gonna make any more of them.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

Nightops
October 07, 2010, 14:36
Originally posted by tx_oil

Brunop--yes Colt DID make SS Pythons, and the stainless models are the current price champs on Gunbroker. Seems everyone wants a SS snake now!

Not only did they make them in stainless, there were two different stainless finishes. A satin finish, and the bright or ultimate stainless that was high polished and looked very bright like a high polished nickel or chrome plate.

STGThndr
October 07, 2010, 20:17
Retired Bum said: You might be amazed at what a set of the older walnut grips for the Python are worth these days. I've seen $150 and up at gunshows for new looking ones.

That figures, thats probably 35-40% of what I paid for the Python to begin with..
Im sure that it had lain in the dealer's counter for sometime before I stumbled in and I know it wasnt more than $450 out the door. At the time I absolutely POSITIVELY HAD to have a .357 mag as I was the ONLY guy in our group who DIDNT have one and unfortunately there were no de rigueur S&W 66s around. I was shooting a minty civilian .45 New Service which was another whole deal in it's own right, but that didnt cut it when all my buds had 66's....
So, there was a nice looking .357, not a Smith but when needs must one does with what one has... So I got a Python I wasnt really looking for.... and now Im glad I did. That $450 during the Carter years was a hard-won chunk of cash.
The S&W 66 didnt materialise for me until a few years ago when yet another dealer (How do I keep meeting these guys??) had a nice used one at a price I couldnt refuse.. and I bought it knowing the 66 isnt much more than a heavy .38 bored out to .357 and maybe half the revolver the Python is... but then I shoot the 66 and carry it without wincing....

Texgunner
October 08, 2010, 16:11
Even a mighty messed up Python can be redeemed:

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=266372

planner
October 10, 2010, 21:11
That phrase "jumped on that like a duck on a june bug"- I've only heard that 1 other time- this past Saturday by an instructor at a training class I am taking. Where are you in TX?

angusmac
October 10, 2010, 21:52
@ STGThndr:

The Python grips were not numbered to the revolvers. It so happens I have a beautiful set of original Python grips and I'll give you the $450 you got in that thing so I can put 'em to use...javascript:smilie(':biggrin:')

STGThndr
October 10, 2010, 23:13
angusmac

@ STGThndr:

The Python grips were not numbered to the revolvers. It so happens I have a beautiful set of original Python grips and I'll give you the $450 you got in that thing so I can put 'em to use...javascript:smilie('')

Would you be interested in parting with them?

tx_oil
October 13, 2010, 01:50
Originally posted by planner
That phrase "jumped on that like a duck on a june bug"- I've only heard that 1 other time- this past Saturday by an instructor at a training class I am taking. Where are you in TX?

Actually, I'm in the Gulf of Mexico at the moment..I work on Shell Ram Powell TLP platform.
I live in Louisiana but grew up in Texas, and was fortunate enough to be exposed to MANY true Texas characters, and that is just a phrase that I heard a lot back in the day. Pretty descriptive, though. Best one i ever heard was a motorcycle cop in West Texas talking about riding on his scooter, and coming over a hill and being surprised by a 'covey of pigs' in the middle of the road.

angusmac
October 13, 2010, 20:04
@ STGThndr:

I was kind of waiting for a nice python to stick them on, but I could probably be talked out of them.

http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/ww160/angusmac/113.jpg

http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/ww160/angusmac/114.jpg

PM me if you are interested.

Timber Wolf
October 14, 2010, 10:13
Originally posted by planner
That phrase "jumped on that like a duck on a june bug"

In the deep South (Florida) we say "chicken on a june bug". Or, "on it like white on rice". Or, stink on s**t". I know I was on my Python like a duck, chicken or whatever. And will be on another one if I can find a similiar deal.