PDA

View Full Version : Need a good set of gold ETFs I can...

Skilter
September 27, 2010, 21:39
... move much of my 401k into.

No tin foil hat sarcasm about taking physical possession please. I can't do it in my 401k and there is where much of my wealth is...

No liability intended.

I know anyone here giving advice is NOT giving certified advice. This is my disclosure. I think things are going to hell in 6 months for the USD. I have taken the ride of security between QE1 and the coming QE2 in USDs, made some good return and now I want out. I need your opinions on good gold ETFs.

Let me know what you think.

gates
September 27, 2010, 22:02
GLD - might want to look at TBT as well - its still early on that one tho.

JR in the NW
September 28, 2010, 00:17
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iPvBQ1qscpg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iPvBQ1qscpg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

There are no good ETF's!

Pistolwiz
September 28, 2010, 10:28
All paper holdings will pretty much be useless paper. Soon.

Well...You can always wipe your butt with it.

Happened in '29. Will happen again. Many folks left with useless (except for the above use) paper.

When I was working for others I never participated in 401K. Almost everybody I know that did...has taken some serious losses if not a complete loss on them over the years.

They shrug their shoulders and say "What can I do?"

Pretty much nothing.

Legal theft.

I never liked the idea of paper PM's. Good way to get screwed.

You have my sympathy Skilter. Good luck!

gates
September 28, 2010, 10:34
Trick is to yank the $ before kaboom - problem is this - anything that would blow up these etfs is likely to be systemic and it will blow up ALL paper assets, if you are stuck in 401ks or plans that do not allow a cashout with penalty you are kind of fuked if this happens but then so is everyone that hasnt moved to hard assets - HOWEVER thats a BIG, life changing decision - you bet wrong either way and you get to start from scratch - dont fret, you will be in good company EVERYONE will get crushed if/when this happens - im in the 95% windfall tax camp - NO WAY the govt lets bugs get away hiding in gold, now silver... hmm...

EDIT: what you 401k folks CAN do is BORROW! you can borrow the max your plans allow and put THAT into hard assets - you WILL have to repay the "loan" but you are paying yourself. just an FYI.

MtnWulf
September 28, 2010, 13:32
I agree with Gates.

Why anyone would put more money into anything other than cash or tangibles is beyond me.

In a time when the government can tell corporate bondholders to eff off, and are eying 401s and IRAs for further raids by the treasury why would you throw your money in front of them.

JR in the NW
September 28, 2010, 20:44
I rather doubt the govt will try to tack on a windfall tax on gold and silver. No way for them to track at what price either one was purchased and I can always barter with it so no record is created either. I'm not worried in the least by this taking effect so it's a non-issue to me..

Rick
October 01, 2010, 15:54
GDXJ looks interesting. When gold goes parabolic these gold mining juniors will go thru the roof. Good luck.

Also look at SGOL and PRPFX

JohnnyReb
October 03, 2010, 08:14
Originally posted by Skilter
... move much of my 401k into.

No tin foil hat sarcasm about taking physical possession please. I can't do it in my 401k and there is where much of my wealth is...

No liability intended.

I know anyone here giving advice is NOT giving certified advice. This is my disclosure. I think things are going to hell in 6 months for the USD. I have taken the ride of security between QE1 and the coming QE2 in USDs, made some good return and now I want out. I need your opinions on good gold ETFs.

Let me know what you think.

I think the best/safest two are GTU (Gold) and CEF (Gold & Silver). I split my "paper" PM between the two.

HTH

Skilter
October 03, 2010, 19:35
First off... my money is already there.

Second, I am trying to get out of a cash based fund and diversify.

Thanks for the suggestions... I am going to be looking into these this week.

Skilter
October 05, 2010, 22:25
Nice call J-Reb...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/7-ETFs-for-the-Perfect-fool-2955621942.html?x=0&.v=3

Put some in today.