PDA

View Full Version : Smith and Wesson 37-2 and +P Ammo...?

Volksjaeger
September 13, 2010, 21:11
I now have a S&W Model 37-2 'Airweight' that appears to be a newer gun, it has the matte black finish, white lettering and rubber grips I have seen on the 342PD, for example. It appears to have an alloy frame and steel cylinder. It is marked '.38 S&W Special' on the barrel, no '+P' . Can I shoot +P rounds out of it (Hornady Critical Defense is what I'm considering) or is this too unsafe? I plan on using this as my CCW piece and would use normal 38 sp for training and maybe a cylinder's worth of the +P once to test and then only for serious use after that...I ask because I've heard a lot of conflicting info and don't want to learn for sure the hard way...

Thanks in advance for your help! :smile:

BUFF
September 13, 2010, 21:47
I have shot probably 1,500 Plus-P rounds through my older aluminum frame S&W Model 642 (bought in 1990). It is fine. There is very little pressure difference between standard pressure .38 Special and Plus-P. If you contact S&W directly, the answer will vary depending on which customer service rep you talk to.

Avoid shooting quantities of Plus-P-Plus, however. There is no SAMMI standards for that. TSome of that stuff is wild hot and should best be shot in .357 Mag revolvers.

You can download an instructional sheet or booklet from S&W's website.

fry
September 13, 2010, 23:25
they are not stamped for the rating but they are.

Volksjaeger
September 15, 2010, 14:28
Thank you for the info! :)