PDA

View Full Version : Federal .22 "Auto Match" Ammunition

Timber Wolf
September 13, 2010, 14:19
Picked up a couple of boxes of Federal .22 “Auto Match” 325 count bulk pack at a local Wal-Mart last week on a lark. They only had two boxes, and they were the only two boxes I had ever seen and appearantly the only two in town. I called around to our other 4 Wal-Marts and none of them had any. They were fairly priced at $14.47 each and the price was comparable to that of the other Winchester & Federal bulk pack .22 they had. I have a Ruger 10/22 with a “match” chambered heavy barrel that does not like bulk or any other cheap .22 ammo so I wanted to see if the Auto Match would function better. I have only shot one magazine full and that only for function but it was 100%. I have not shot for group as I have not had time and I just swapped scopes around on this rifle, a Marlin .22 Mag., and a Marlin 17 Mag. in a recent big scope swap fest. I will sight it in soon (maybe this weekend) and see how it does for group.

I found a dealer at the local gun show this past weekend who actually had some more and he sold me 5 boxes at $15 a box (he was asking $17). With this recent purchase I am sitting pretty for ammo for the 10/22 and anything else I own that I think will shoot it well. I am wondering what the deal is on this stuff. It is obviously cheap bulk pack ammo but what, if anything, did Federal do for this to be “better” in semi-autos? Anybody shot any of this?

barabajackal
September 21, 2010, 20:10
.22s sure can be picky about what ammo they like.

I tried some of the 'auto match' in my Clark customized 10/22. It functioned just fine, but groups were just middlin'.

I'm down to about three bricks of Federal's old 'Lightnings' (all the same lot number). My rifle really, really likes 'em. I have to shoot high dollar match ammo to do better than Lightnings (and it ain't that much better).

When Federal replaced Lightnings in the line-up with Champions I was hopeful that they'd do as well. They weren't even close.

I still keep my eye's open for reports of superior accuracy from economy .22 ammo. My old Lightnings are going to run out one day.

BJ

Timber Wolf
September 23, 2010, 07:41
Picked up a 500 round box of Winchester "Xpert" and two 100 count boxes of Remington Target from Mart-mart yesterday just to have some different stuff on hand to try. It would suck to find something a particular gun REALLY liked and then not be able to find anymore.:mad: I did hope for good accuracy from the Auto Match but mostly wanted reliable functioning, something that had been lacking from my heavy-barreled "match" chambered 10/22 and my M261 conversion kit. The Auto Match does function 100% in the 10/22 and except for the first hand-cycled round out of a mag fine in the M261. I need to investigate the M261 problem and maybe download the mags to 9 rounds. Anyway, shooting .22s is plenty fun and dang cheap too! If I can get the 10/22 to shoot close to as accurately as my Remington 513T I will be a happy camper. Of course the 513T will do it with cheap Federal bulk pack and peep sights!:rolleyes:

Shootability
September 23, 2010, 07:52
I found the automatch was very reliable - when I first got an Ar15 conversion it was the only ammo that worked every time.

The Winchester Dynapoint of a few years ago was excellent - it went off the market for a while and the stuff I got recently was not nearly as good.

I think the manufacturers play around with the names from time to time - I wish they would give a bit more information about the specs for the various lines.