PDA

View Full Version : It is all Temp's fault

Brush511
September 11, 2010, 22:09
I went to a gun show in Pasco, WA today and stumbled across this Colt Army Special in .32-20 and just couldn't leave well enough alone.

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa131/brush511/100_2421.jpg

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa131/brush511/100_2418.jpg

Andy the Aussie
September 11, 2010, 22:15
I am a S&W fan through and through but one of my favourite handguns (and probably my most shot) is a Colt Officers Model Match in .22lr....:love:

That is a nice old piece ..!!

bykerhd
September 11, 2010, 22:22
Nice old Colt. How is the barrel and mechanical condition ?

Brush511
September 11, 2010, 23:02
Originally posted by bykerhd
Nice old Colt. How is the barrel and mechanical condition ?

The barrel isn't too bad. The rifling is strong but there are what i believe are a couple of rings of light pitting about 2" from the muzzle. I haven't cleaned it yet but there is some leading present also. It locks up tight and has maybe a couple of thou. end shake. The hand shows some wear. If you cock it very slowly it doesn't always rotate the cylinder to lock up. If you cock it single action normally it does. Always seems to lock double action. The action is smooth as silk. The single action trigger pull feels light and crisp, even if my pull gauge measures it at ~5.25 lbs. I can't wait till the dies get here.:biggrin:

K. Funk
September 12, 2010, 08:58
I have an Army Special and a Police Positive in .32-20. It is a very enjoyable round to shoot. I'd be interested in hearing your load. I am currently using 4.0 gr Unique and 115gr cast bullets. I believe this is a mild load, but I don't know how far I want to push the old girls.

krf

W.E.G.
September 12, 2010, 08:58
Alright!

Another 32-20 toter is born!

DJ
September 12, 2010, 11:03
Jeez, and here I thought I was the only one with one of those old 32-20 shooters. I haven't shot mine in quite a long time, it needs taken out and shot a bit.
Some time ago somehow I got my hands on a bunch of factory 25-20's and traded them for some factory 32-20's. My uncle Harry had one also and when he passed away, I got all of his 32-20 loading stuff. I have a bunch of old, old brass.....not too sure I want to load it though.
Nice lookin gun, Brush!

W.E.G.
September 12, 2010, 12:01
The brass should be fine if it was never loaded with black powder and/or is not "balloon-head" type.

Temp
September 12, 2010, 21:21
The actions on those old Colts will about ruin you on other revolvers. Those hard rubber fluer de lis grips are one of the nicest cosmetic features on Colts of that era. In good condition, they'll sell for $100 *quick*.

I've never owned a 32-20, but in a large frame revolver like an Army Special, it should be a fun chambering to load for. I'd guess that you could make a hard cast 100 grain bullet spit pretty hard out of that 6" barrel with Alliant 2400.

You can find what year it was made by checking its serial number here.

http://proofhouse.com/colt/index.html

It'll be somewhere around 1920.

Temp
September 12, 2010, 21:26
Originally posted by Brush511

If you cock it very slowly it doesn't always rotate the cylinder to lock up.

Cock it slowly so it doesn't rotate all the way into lockup, then, holding the hammer back with your thumb so it doesn't drop, pull the trigger and watch the hand rotate the cylinder the rest of the way to lockup.

It's okay. Choot it!

bykerhd
September 12, 2010, 21:46
There was a .32-20 Colt like that at the last show I went to. 6" barrel, I think.
Price was a bit over $300 as I recall, plus 6% state tax.
Maybe I should have given the old girl a once over ?

Brush511
September 13, 2010, 20:45
Originally posted by Andy the Aussie
I am a S&W fan through and through but one of my favourite handguns (and probably my most shot) is a Colt Officers Model Match in .22lr....:love:

That is a nice old piece ..!!

Thanks Andy. I too am a S&W fan although I currently only have one, a 4" 686 Plus. I shoot it very well and it makes a great all around carry gun around the ranch.

Brush511
September 13, 2010, 20:57
Originally posted by K. Funk
I have an Army Special and a Police Positive in .32-20. It is a very enjoyable round to shoot. I'd be interested in hearing your load. I am currently using 4.0 gr Unique and 115gr cast bullets. I believe this is a mild load, but I don't know how far I want to push the old girls.

krf

A couple of my sources stop at 3.5 grs. of Unique. I will probably use Saeco 95 gr. SWC since I have the mold and and use it for .32 Mag. and .32 S&W Long. I may try AA #7. I've got several lbs. left in the jug.

Brush511
September 13, 2010, 21:15
Originally posted by Temp

Cock it slowly so it doesn't rotate all the way into lockup, then, holding the hammer back with your thumb so it doesn't drop, pull the trigger and watch the hand rotate the cylinder the rest of the way to lockup.

It's okay. Choot it!

Thanks Temp, since you postin' pics of those old Colts kind of caused this purchase. :tongue:

I tried your suggestion and sho-nuff it works. Then I dug out my only other old Colt and it acts the same way. Learned something new and it convinced the seller to drop $50 off the price. I thought the hand was worn and would need to be replaced or built up. And thanks for the link. It was made late in 1913. 358XXX

Here's a couple of pics of little brother:

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa131/brush511/100_2424.jpg

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa131/brush511/100_2423.jpg

It's a Police Positive Target (1st Issue, Mod. "G") made in 1920. It is in .22 WRF and was my Grandmother's.

Brush511
September 17, 2010, 22:21
The dies weren't supposed to get here till Mon. They showed up today. Yee Hah! I'm off to the gun room to lubri-size some boolits and load some .32-20s.