PDA

View Full Version : Oil Rig

jrkoller
September 02, 2010, 11:00
Just watched the news another Oil rig blows up in the Gulf!!

John Culver
September 02, 2010, 12:09
Not as uncommon as you think

Ya only hear about it now since the BP fiasco

martin35
September 02, 2010, 13:46
Offshore drilling platforms are like ships in a constant state of repair.
A welding arc or a acetylene torch can be struck or lit thousands of times with out incidence but some areas of a oil and gas environment need to be tested for accumulated explosive gases before open flames are used for maintenance.
Some crews have the air sampling devises and some don't, some have them and don't think to use them.
Every platform in US waters has a fail safe shut-in valve in each and every wells production pipe column, but generator engines will require volume storage of fuel and oil on the platform, some sheen on the water would be normal after a explosion.
Man and machines in pursuit of the good life, a fatal combination,,, for some.

jrkoller
September 02, 2010, 15:04
I get it nothing to see here move along!!

bykerhd
September 02, 2010, 21:15
At least the crew got off ok.
Picked up out the water in their "Gumby" survival suits.
Unfortunately, this will lead to more calls for off-shore drilling restrictions by the same people that helped force the drillers out in to deep water.
Maybe even an outright ban. If the Obamites can get away with it.
Another excuse to try to foist "Cap & Tax" off on us at the same time.

brunop
September 02, 2010, 21:28
This.

ggiilliiee
September 02, 2010, 22:00
ya buddy ...that darn obamma ...
heck everyone knows that one of your charred melted loved ones flippin thru the air ,soon to be buffet for creatures with only one foot on the ocean bottom always smells like profit in the morning ..

i think they should cut their dam pay if they aret gonna finish the job and die ...lazy farks .....
then their dam welfare orphaned kids will be wanting food stamps cause mommy didnt have enoug $$ for the casket and food too ...jeeezzzee ...how pathetic
screw the saftey regs ...

good god people ....:eek:

ps rig depth 345'..no morey torrey ...which too most would mean ...if ya cant do it shallow ...dont go deep

brunop
September 03, 2010, 00:08
I don't know what that means, but there are many in the Obama camp that will use this to:

a) stop or restrict US off-shore drilling
b) get cap and trade structures passed in this country

I'm willing to bet money that this is coming before elections in 2012.

Any takers?

ggiilliiee
September 03, 2010, 00:33
sure beat hell out of giving poor poor "depressed" folk money in LA every year ..for the oil on the beach ...and the free money for fisherman NOT seeming to have paid taxes...since there should be some UI if they did ...and paid their fair share ...

brunop ...what is your occupation ...just curious ...

martin35
September 03, 2010, 01:07
Expertise should be based on experience not bureaucratic expansion.
Safety regulations from the Homeland Protection Agency and it's subsidiaries will come from where?
Thinking for government agencies is a industry unto it's self.

ThunderGod
September 03, 2010, 10:22
Originally posted by martin35
Expertise should be based on experience not bureaucratic expansion.
Safety regulations from the Homeland Protection Agency and it's subsidiaries will come from where?
Thinking for government agencies is a industry unto it's self.

Hah! martin trumps ggiilliiee.

ggiilliiee
September 03, 2010, 12:19
700 saftey violations in one month ....

Fartin ...since the only thing youve done in life was probably worrying about a paper cut ...i understand ....some write ......some work ...

what you propose would work fine ...but see bud folk like you who probably still believe your master smiths are doing the job rite ..make the rules of saftey ...from where i am your incompetent with the fals except for simple assembly ...and you BELEIVE you know it all ...and ya sure dont do ya ....thats the problem ....same with saftey dudes on the rigs,obviously incompetent

the day you folks quit taking govt money is the same day you can open your fat mouth ...try that first ..ya dont wanna be a boy the rest of your life do ya ...

see how FAST yer dont tread on me dikwad have their hand out after the storm ...govt never seems to bother ya then do they ...useless bitches ....

trumpped ???hes not even in the same room

curious ...do ya feel the same about the 911 deaths ...oh well ...no biggie ...part of the game ???...

you are an idiot ....

shlomo
September 03, 2010, 12:51
Originally posted by ggiilliiee
Fartin ...since the only thing youve done in life was probably worrying about a paper cut ...i understand ....some write ......some work ...

:rofl::rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:uhoh: :eek:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Somebody's been too busy hittin' the pipe to pay attention.

:rofl:

martin35
September 03, 2010, 13:21
"A mind is a terrible thing to waste",,,, but ggiilliiee's made short work of it.
I find a intelligent arguement enjoyable and stimulating,,,, some don't,,,, or can't

L Haney
September 03, 2010, 13:33
Safety regs, and procedures MANAGE risk. You can never eliminate them. The only way to do that is stay in bed. We do not live in a risk free world. Ggiilliiee, ever have any buds inaa' machine shop missing fingers? And machine shops are eat up with OSHA safety regs. Think more of 'em would stop the amputations?

Eric Bryant
September 03, 2010, 16:27
Originally posted by martin35
"A mind is a terrible thing to waste",,,, but ggiilliiee's made short work of it.
I find a intelligent arguement enjoyable and stimulating,,,, some don't,,,, or can't

:rofl:

:bow:

Martin's response here is both funnier and far more restrained than anything I would have penned had I been in his shoes. Chalk up one small victory for wit and decorum.

martin35
September 04, 2010, 09:00
I have given ggiilliiee some thought and would offer this advice, the form he uses to communicate with needs a lot of work, not many think like that and achieving what he thinks he is is not yet a fact in evidence,,, not that it could not be so with applied intelligence, and we would all benefit from such a undertaking and ggiilliiee more so..
My sincere best wishes and provocations in that regard.

Sailor553
September 04, 2010, 09:08
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/21/Gulf_Coast_Platforms.jpg/250px-Gulf_Coast_Platforms.jpg
Which one is this thread about?

martin35
September 05, 2010, 15:27
Which one is this thread about?
The one with the orange neoprene suited shark bait floating around it.

Seaweed
September 05, 2010, 23:26
Ggiilliiee, why do you think fishermen get UI? Here in Oregon, some do, and some don't. Doesn't matter if you pay your income taxes or not, you can opt out of the system, and they may be able to do that there also. Don't label fishermen as crooks without knowing what you are talking about.

martin35
September 05, 2010, 23:34
Don't label fishermen as crooks without knowing what you are talking about. I agree, some of my friends are bait salesmen and most of the others smell like they are.

Seaweed
September 06, 2010, 14:51
Hey, money smells different to every person. I get a smile on my face when tourists hold their noses while walking down the waterfront. At lease you are hanging out in the right crowd.

martin35
September 06, 2010, 15:06
I get a smile on my face when tourists hold their noses while walking down the waterfront.
My first smell of a water front port excited my senses, that smell changed with each port I've visited and made me want more of the same, it smelled like adventure to a brush country hick. Of course that was in the day of rotting creosote wharves and piers with rope braided hull bumpers. The new concrete piers are like a movie without John Wayne,,, they make no statement of excitement or incitement, none a hick can discern.

Stoney
September 06, 2010, 16:41
Martin, now I have to go count the ports I've been in in my 14 months aboard thanks to Uncle Sugar.:biggrin:

martin35
September 06, 2010, 19:14
Martin, now I have to go count the ports I've been in in my 14 months aboard thanks to Uncle Sugar.
My port inspections were genial (initially) I count my blessings at never having to disembark from a Higgins boat, Alligator or a LCI with hostile intent.

Stoney
September 06, 2010, 23:22
"I count my blessings at never having to disembark from a Higgins boat, Alligator or a LCI with hostile intent."

I second that, all mine where friendly ones.