PDA

View Full Version : colt .38

stonewall
August 28, 2010, 20:53
Howdy, just purchased a colt official police .38 for $200. has had a very good trigger job smooth as glass, how did I do?
Thanks

Stonewall

parisofthewest
August 28, 2010, 21:53
I think you got ripped off. Before the wife finds out, I'll go ahead and buy you out on it so you can keep a happy home.

Seriously though, you did pretty damn good. Depending on the year and condition I have not seen many I'd want for under $350. If somebody cared enough to do a trigger job on it, they probably took pretty good care of it.

Now get the booze, and get a photo with feet and concrete!

parisofthewest

bykerhd
August 28, 2010, 21:57
You did very well if it is in sound, unaltered(except for the trigger) condition.
Have you checked the serial number against the manufacture dates yet ?

stonewall
August 28, 2010, 23:50
thanks for the info, I did not check the serial number for the date, I will check and let you know.

Stonewall

stonewall
August 29, 2010, 00:03
thanks for the info, I did not check the serial number for the date, I will check and let you know.

Stonewall

stonewall
August 29, 2010, 00:05
I think I got the right sight, says colt was made in 1960, cool.

Thanks again

Timber Wolf
August 30, 2010, 10:44
These are great guns from an era we will never see again. I have one that is also smooth as glass that I feel I stole last year for $160+17.5% tax & buyer’s premium ($188). This was at an auction when S&W .38s in lesser condition were going for $240 and up. The 4” Official Police came through and I bit while nobody else appeared to care about it much. I really like it and it goes well with my other Colt (and S&W and Ruger) revolvers. It is my favorite Colt revolver to shoot. Now I like my Python a lot too but it really has nothing on the Official Police for pure enjoyment at the range. I put a set of the soft rubber Hogue’s on the O.P. and really like shooting .38 Specials out of it. When you own one of these you can pretend to be Deputy Fife and carry your bullet in your pocket while waiting on Andy to say "load er' up Barn!" :D

K. Funk
September 03, 2010, 07:53
This must be the gun of the month. I just picked up a Colt Official Police .38 Sp 6" barrel from around 1960 as well. It has some finish wear on the left side of the barrel and the left grip is worn a little, but it is slick as hell and shoots well. Hitting soda cans at 35 yds pretty consistently. I was never a fan of the .38, but after pounding out a few rounds of .500 magnum, the .38 Colt makes for a much more pleasant shooting experience.

krf

A square 10
September 09, 2010, 22:19
only have one 38spcl , a S&W victory , but these are some of the revolvers ive thought to collect in quantity , there is so much to choose from and so mmany directions to go - nice grab

Retired Bum
September 10, 2010, 20:47
I have a lovely Colt Police Positive Special .38 tucked away in the safe. It was made in 1935 and is factory nickel plated with the checkered walnut grips with medalions. I would rate it at 95 percent. Obviously not a police issue weapon, it probably laid in somebody's drawer for several decades. I did take it out to the range one time and shoot about 30 rounds of HBWC handloads. It shot pretty much to point of aim and it hasn't been fired since. A true safe queen.

About two years ago in a private sale I obtained a S&W "Victory" .38 Special. Standard four inch barrel, "Black Magic" finish, plain smooth walnut grips, and a lanyard ring. All matching numbers and I'd rate it a conservative 90 percent condition wise. What makes this Victory a wee bit unusual is that it lacks the "U.S. Property" marking and has no military markings as well.

On the S&W Forum is a member who is very knowledgeable about the Victory Models and has a data base of info on them. So I gave him the piece's serial number and he provided me with a wealth of info on my Victory. It was shipped from the factory in Nov/Dec 1943 to the DSC. This is the Defense Supply Corporation which was gov't owned. The DSC provided various items to gov't agencies and defense plants during the war. This included firearms and ammo.

My Victory was shipped from the DSC to the OSS aka Office of Strategic Services. The OSS was closed down by President Harry Truman in 1946 and its assets were given to other gov't agencies. My Victory was shipped to the Illinois State Armory and that outfit then transferred it to the Illinois State Prison System. There is an stamped marking on the left side of the frame just above and behind the trigger guard "ISP.56".

The S&W Forum member told me that he had #'s ISP.55 and ISP.57 in his data base. So mine filled in that blank. The Illinois Prison System sold as surplus a lot of their older firearms a couple of decades ago and that is apparently how my Victory got into circulation.

I told the previous owner about the history of this piece and he just about went ballistic when he heard that he had let go of a handgun that belonged to the OSS.

And so it goes.

The Once In A While I Get Lucky Retired One