PDA

View Full Version : Sliced Bagel,Taxes on Top

carguym14
August 26, 2010, 11:02
I would imagine we'll see a lot more of this from cash strapped .gov at all levels.

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB10001424052748704340504575448033463314628-lMyQjAxMTAwMDIwNjEyNDYyWj.html#articleTabs%3Dartic le

A snippet:
State tax officials, under orders from cash-strapped Albany to ramp up their audit and compliance efforts, have begun to enforce one of the more obscure distinctions within the state's sales tax law.

In New York, the sale of whole bagels isn't subject to sales tax. But the tax does apply to "sliced or prepared bagels (with cream cheese or other toppings)," according to the state Department of Taxation and Finance. And if the bagel is eaten in the store, even if it's never been touched by a knife, it's also taxed.

That was news to one New York bagel-store owner, who found out he was out of compliance with the policy this summer when the state audited his company.

Kenneth Greene, the owner of 33 Bruegger's Bagel franchises throughout New York, says the state demanded that he start charging taxes on all bagels, except for those that remain intact and are consumed off premises, and forced him to pay a "significant" sum in taxes that the state estimated he owed.

ETA-And the last part is bullshit.He didn't collect the sales tax,so he had to foot the bill out of his own pocket.You would think the assfucks would just say "from this point forward",instead of guesstimating how many bagels he sold without tax and make him pay it.

The messed up tax code reminds me of Ayn Rand-there is no way to rule innocent men.Make it so friggin complicated that it's almost impossible to be 100% compliant.

:redface: :redface:

V guy
August 26, 2010, 11:27
Local indians have figured a way to beat the state sales taxes on some cigarettes they sell.

The Oneidas have purchased a mobile cigarette factory to produce their Niagara brand cigs.
I have never heard of such a thing, but I guess the Indians have their sneaky ways, yet.

They will set it up to avoid paying the sales taxes ($5.00/pack) that NYS is collecting at the distributor level/ point of origin, for the major brands.

carguym14
August 26, 2010, 20:29
I don't know V guy,I remember the tires burning on the thruway in the 90's.I don't think this tax game will end well.Damn state needs every penny they can squeeze.

I was born and raised upstate-moved out here almost 9 yrs ago.Miss the scenery,but that's about it.Should left a long time ago........