PDA

View Full Version : 10 / 22

one hand clapping
August 18, 2010, 14:48
OK don't laugh, I need to know how to get the bolt out of my daughter's
10 / 22 . The extractor claw popped out and I can't seem to be smarter then the darn rifle.
Thanks .
OHC

Stranger
August 18, 2010, 15:16
Remove the receiver and barrel assembly from the stock. While looking at the bottom of the bolt in the receiver, pull all the way back on the charging handle/recoil spring until the front of the bolt clears the back of the flange on the ejection port side of the receiver. You should now be able to pull up on the bolt and remove it. Carefully allow the charging handle to return forward, removing tension on the spring. You can now remove the charging handle/recoil spring assembly as well.

Illurian00
August 18, 2010, 15:20
Remove bbl.band.
Push crossbolt safety to 'halfway'. Lift the action out of the stock.
Roll the action over, pull the bolt back, slip the bolt past the rails. To replace the bolt, again invert the action, again compress the recoil spring,slip the bolt past the rails. You'll figger it out.
Probably, needs a good clean and lube. Make sure to lube the fireing pin.
'GunKings' offers upgrade bolt parts & free shipping.

CG&L
August 18, 2010, 15:20
First remove the barreled action from the stock
There will only be one receiver screw and the screw for the barrel band

Next tap out the two pins holding the trigger group housing. It wont take much of a tap, they are not held in with a detent or spring.

Next tap out the third pin(this is the bolt stop or recoil buffer pin). It will tap or push out easily as well

That will be three pins in all.

Now just pull the bolt all the way back and lift bolt while holding charging handle back. The top of the bolt has a notch that the charging handle slips into

I just put an extractor in my 10/22, It isn't difficult but it is tedious juggling a small part under spring tension

If the extractor popped out I'd say the old one broke or is worn to the point of not staying in or maybe the spring broke. You will probably need to order a new extractor and/or spring

Stranger
August 18, 2010, 15:37
Or, here is the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eobAjygRpIo

brownknees
August 18, 2010, 16:06
Reassembly is almost the opposite of stripping.:]

The fun bit is torquing the bolt handle into line while holding against spring tension while also dropping the bolt back into the receiver. This will drive you nutz the first time as its one of those patting the stomach while rubbing the head deals.:cry:
I'll confess I use a short piece ('bout 6" long) of 1/2"OD CPVC as a cheater bar when re-assembling It just makes life so much easier.

one hand clapping
August 18, 2010, 17:45
Thanks all , I'll give a big yahoo when I've got it all done and working.

OHC

one hand clapping
August 19, 2010, 08:39
DUH______________ I found out that the extractor plunger was hanging up the bolt on the stub in the reciever . Once I got that back out of the way the bolt came right out ,dirty as a pig in mud..but now I can clean / fix.
Thanks agin fellows.

OHC

bykerhd
August 19, 2010, 10:08
One of the Volquarsen extractors cured a lot of issues with a 10/22 of mine.
Much better made I think.
Not hard to install either. Once you know how to remove the bolt.:biggrin:

saltshaker
August 25, 2010, 23:36
Ruger is great about replacement parts too! I needed a firing pin rebound spring for my 1022...Had it since Chrstmas 1976.....Dad was good to me that year!....I wrote ruger a letter and they sent me a replacement for free w/ the pin to hold it in place......+1 on the extractor.....I just "dressed" mine up a bit w/ a needle file to sharpen the edges up a bit......Salt
P.S. check out the bolt hold open mod on you tube.....It is simple and fun to do while you two are at it......:fal:

one hand clapping
August 27, 2010, 09:23
YAHOOOOOO !!!!

Got it fixed ,thanks all -shes running great.

OHC