PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about the 45 ACP M10

Firestarter
August 11, 2010, 21:25
So what do you guys think about the Ingram?

Topbanana
August 11, 2010, 22:27
I am curious too, there used to be site that sold rifle type uppers for them but I cannot find it or remember the name of it.

kayakpirate
August 12, 2010, 09:47
One of my buddy's has a MAC10 with the Ingram silencer.
I've run about 350 rds through it now.
First off the silencer works very well.Sounds kinda like an Airsoft.
Use of the folding stock is a must.Forget the Chuck Norris school
of MAC10 use.Its a little on the heavy side,especially with 30rds
of 45 sticking out of it.The stock also makes it more controlable.
The sights are a bit rough.But if ya bear down and keep it to a 3-4 round
burst,you can get a pretty good group.
Its a fast piece,it almost feels like I'm tapping the trigger rather than
pressing it.On contact its three rounds, right now.
When shooting without the silencer,I press my hand back as close as
I can to the front of the trigger guard and grip.Forget that strap deal,
I hold it to keep it out of the way,but I dont use it.Good way to lose
something off your hand.
My buddy ran like a thouand rounds through the thing before
cleaning it.Ran just fine.
Its not a very attractive weapon,heavy and a little awkward to handle,
but once she gets going hang on!
Hope that helps.If anything interesting happens with it ,I'll add it to this thread.

GDavis
August 14, 2010, 09:05
30 rounds 45ACP in 1.5 seconds. I now have one but it is an expensive gun to shoot. I may look into a .22 conversion kit (I think they make one, I know they do for M11).

olgier
August 14, 2010, 10:32
Don't know about the .45, but still waiting for my stamp on one in 9mm. It's about as low cost as you can get in the MG world. That's the main reason I'm buying one.

Always wanted my own subgun, but not my own 10k+ subgun.

Someone told me you should run a good buffer in the m10/.45 or you can crack the frame at the rear?

Firestarter
August 14, 2010, 10:52
Thanks for all the insightfull posts guys! :bow:

I'm looking to adding one to my collection in the next year or so.

Skilter
August 15, 2010, 10:49
I have experience with 'em. The M11/9 is a little finicky if it is a worn out gun and a lot of them tend to be that way. You can get a qualified gunsmith to replace all the internals and then they become very small, light, easily concealable "buzz guns" or as I like to say, "phone booth" guns. Really good PDW's if you are knowledgeable on how to put into action and execute with a open bolt gun. Mags can get worn out. Watch for cracks in the feed lips and don't keep the mags stored completely loaded as this will bend the feed lips out.

The M10/45 is a totally different animal. One set up as a carbine with a comfortable stock (I have seen original Cobray wooden stocks.) and a Stony Creek carbine upper works as a great and accurate carbine. It does run a little fast and it is a little heavy, but works great with a red dot. One set up as a traditional MAC 10 with a can is cool too. Designed to be a replacement for a M1 Carbine type weapon or non-front line troops, I think it would have filled that role nicely back in the day other than being a bit heavy. Today, there are so many better options for that role. The strappy thing DOES help when you don't have a can on the end. Types: I only like and would buy an original Powder Springs MAC 10's. I am not saying that others don't run or run well. I am just saying that IMHO the PS MAC 10's were built better and to better spec's and I have had less trouble with those than any others. Magazines: You can get Cobray magazines. You can convert grease gun magazines by shaving down the magazine stops on the sides about 3/8s to 1/4 of an inch. You can replace your magazine catch that will accept both Cobray mags and/or grease gun mags. You can leave them fully loaded with no problems (IMHO) and there are even 50 rounders floating around out there made by Craig Wheatley back several years ago that run flawlessly. Lots of options on magazines...

What I would REALLY like to see is someone make a 10mm conversion for the M10. I think that would rock.

If you are looking to get one... the time is now. They have always been the least expensive sub guns to get into, but there seem to be some real bargains out there now on these neat little guns.

pathfinder2010
August 16, 2010, 01:07
When I got my Mac 10 the tax ran me more than the gun. It is a big ugly heavy piece. That being said it is a joy to shoot. I have ran ten's of thousands of rounds thru it, and it is still going strong. Easy to reload for and loves 200g lead SWC's. On semi I can hit pop cans at 100+ yards with it. Uses easy to find grease gun mags. You can replace the mag catch and use unconverted ones or convert them with just as little as a hand file. Guy over at subguns is making 50 round mags for them, and I have seen 2 100 round Thompson drums converted to fit a MAC 10.

greenpeas
August 17, 2010, 15:41
One BIG reason to get one...

http://www.max-11.com/

greenpeas
August 17, 2010, 16:07
Originally posted by greenpeas
One BIG reason to get one...

http://www.max-11.com/

In stock form these little things really rip. You'll shoot a WHOLE lot more ammo with a FA gun. Compare the cost of .45 vs. 9mm and you might rethink the .45. You could always opt for a Mac 10/9 or a M11/9?

Then again, .45 is subsonic...

Whatever you do, don't buy one without the happy switch.

yarro
August 19, 2010, 14:10
I have shot a dozen or so in .45ACP. The wire stock is near worthless and sometimes will collapse when shooting. The best stock is a AR CAR stock on an adapter. To shoot one well, you need something up front to hold on to like a suppressor or a vertical grip with an extension to keep your hand further away from the muzzle. With a little pratice, you can dump an entire mag into a torso sized target at 50 yards. Never had one malfunction on me other than the damn wire stock collapse. You can get a 9mm upper for the M10/45 and an adapter that takes sten mags. They work well once you figure out which mags are good.

Like buying any MG, you need to make sure that it works before you start the transfer. 50% of the class 3 guns my buddy and I have purchased had functional issues that had to be resolved to get them 100%. Only one of those 5 guns was disclosed as having an issue by the seller, and it was the easiest fix (bent firing pin). Two we figured out. Two had to go to a class 3 smith and required correction to alignment of parts welded to the receiver. Lucky for you most MAC10s just run out of the box.

-yarro

Artful
August 20, 2010, 22:28
Ergonamically I find the UZI a much better fit for me. And it's easier to change calibers with. Mac's are the VW of SMG in IMHO. My buddy had loaded hot (read overloads) to run in his MAC11/9 when a case blew we just took a brick and straightened out the spring guides and it was up and running again.

On SMG's you have to look at a couple of things, besides fit to your (ergo"s) you have to consider ammo cost/availability, adaptability to other ammo (what's on surplus market), Spare parts availability, Magazine cost/availabilty and customization availability.

Unless your after a historical gun looking for originality, you will problably do some modifications.

Lockbar
August 23, 2010, 14:55
Yarro has it right about the stock folding up. I owned a .45 call full-auto about 30 years ago when I had a Class 3 dealers license. Gun folded up on me while I was shooring a 40 round mag and nearly blew the top of head off. Rear sight came back and hit be right in the teeth, gun still blasting away. Turns out the little lug that holds the shoulder piece open broke off while shooting. About five friends that were watching at the time all hit the dirt. Still I very much liked the .45 acp Mac-10, but I have to say IT IS the LOUDEST gun I have ever fired in my life.