PDA

View Full Version : IED Attacks in Afghanistan 2004-2009, based on Wikileaks data.

JohnnyReb
August 03, 2010, 13:54
I found this in my daily surfing. Here is the explanation of the video by its creator Shannon Larratt:

I made this animated map showing IEDs as documented in the recent major data leak facilitated by Wikileaks (overlaid on a NATO map of the area). It starts off slow, but the longer you wait, the more furious the attacks seem to get.

The green explosions are ones in which no one was hurt, yellow ones are injuries only, and red ones are fatal IEDs. On the death and injury tallies, the left column is friendlies (including both allied forces and civilians), and the right column is so-called "enemies". Everything else should be obvious.

I created this with some quick one-off custom software written late at night to do the required animation (loosely inspired by a tool I built in the 90s to animate web server log files, but only very loosely since I no longer have the source code). The reason I mention this is to apologize in advance for any errors.

FINALLY, please do feel free to repost this anywhere you would like. If you need raw video, or want my cleaned CSV files of the IED data, or want a different rendering, feel free tp drop me a line at snowrail@gmail.com or at my zentastic.com website.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uCK8oSFFpgc&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uCK8oSFFpgc&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

flopshot
August 03, 2010, 14:04
there must be a flaw in the data or the modeling. the graphic shows continued bombing after barack hussein obama ( mmmm mmmm mmmm)
was coronated instantaneously healing the muslim / American rift.

Thorack
August 03, 2010, 14:22
Well,

As much as it sucks in Asscrackistan at least the dicks that started the Taliban in Pakistan are reaping what they have sown. A-Stan doesnt really scare me as those folks just want to be left alone, but the Pakis collapsing and the possibility of loose nukes scares the hell out of me. Its only a matter of time before someone sets one off in DC.

Thorack

martin35
August 03, 2010, 15:07
IED's as a cottage industry seems to be gaining in the country and we appear to be getting better at finding and being blown up by them, too bad keeping score is still in play in Afghanistan,,, not like here.
A thought,, do enough people know how to read over there that a sign saying "Koran On-board" on every vehicle would make a difference?
I always carried a note in my pocket in Korea that read "the bearer is entitled to one large sack of rice upon the safe return of this Marine to Texas,,, unscathed." my extremely cautious conduct made the use of said note unneeded. I shoulda been a Corporal or at least a PFC.

Enquiring Minds
August 05, 2010, 02:16
Originally posted by Thorack
Its only a matter of time before someone sets one off in DC.

You say that as if it's a bad thing... :tongue:

martin35
August 05, 2010, 05:58
In the latter 19th century Anarchist mad bombers were very much feared in Europe.
The McVeys and Nichols were not alone in their disregard for inocent life.

chrsdwns
August 05, 2010, 14:11
One of the defining characteristics of our modern technological society is the rapid escalation of the amount of serious damage and death toll that a small number of very determined people can inflict on the rest of a civil society before they are brought down.

9-11 really brought this in a big way

Wait till this trend hits the US. Bush did a great job of securing our country with a minimal impact on our freedoms and civil rights.

The current Obama is not doing nearly as good of job but they sure are taking advantage of our abusing laws to impact our freedoms and civil liberties.

Right now, given our current political leadership, the enemies of our country are making no headway without even trying than ever were able to via terrorism or subversion. As soon as the the current leadership gets it's wings clipped by horrified electorate and is no longer able to easily subvert their own country, then our enemies will begin to exploit all of the holes that our current leaders are creating for them.

I kind of expect to see a untick in domestic terrorism

HughJass
August 06, 2010, 00:44
Originally posted by chrsdwns

I kind of expect to see a untick in domestic terrorism

Define "untick in domestic terrorism", please.

one hand clapping
August 06, 2010, 12:57
I have to TOTALY disagree with the proposition the BUSH#2 did anything positive Lets look at the known facts
#1 the worst attack on american soil happened on HIS watch.Norad was stood down
#2Bush allowed the Bin laudn family to be the only ones allowed to fly on 9,12 and that was out of the country [instead of grabb'n the whole group and offering a trade for osama]
#3 Bush did not allow the rangers to go finish off Bin Hidd'n at tora bora
#4 Bush needlessly went into Iraq and got alot of our troops dead and our gear ground up FOR WHAT??? The commie chineese just got the oil contracts.
#5 if there were not ALOT of muslems that hated us before all this [ most loved the americans]or at least were nutral] There is a generation that now have REAL GOOD reasons to kill western infidels for allah after getting the s**T bombed out of their villages.

Please do not missunderstand. I have NO love for any fundamentalist of any ilk who wants me dead because of who / how I am. I AM sugesting that BUSH knowingly kicked the hornets nest for the never ending war. The powers that run things now have a mantra for doing away with our personal freedoms, "Its for the fatherland"
I have NO expectation that the current Pretender and thief has our intrests anymore at heart than the last one.
OHC

martin35
August 07, 2010, 00:47
Let it be known Bush is no longer President and the world will be a safer place and the national debt will disappear, along with IED's,,, it's a logical progression to much of the reasoning put forth today.

martin35
August 07, 2010, 15:56
Some here are higher up on the IED food chain than I, but I asked on the forums years ago when IED's were first used why with all our technological skill we could not invent and deploy a Electronic device that would trigger IED's?
It would I believe have to act upon the detonator not the triggering device.

cowbilly
August 08, 2010, 16:10
They have devices similiar to what you describe. Depends on the IEDs technology. Simple is hard to beat, look at the RPG.

Saddam had his hands and money wrapped up in a lot of things that were against our interests. Not to mention he was defying the UN sanctions. We put the teeth in those and did something about it. Saddam did'nt think we would follow through with it so he kept rattling his sabor to show strength and maintain his power until it blew up in his face.

Toro Bora was a political move to allow the Afgans to deal with it, it just did not work.

Norad became something else, the system did not go away just modified. The skys are watched.

A lot happened on Clinton's watch that was not addressed as far as terrorism goes. Bin Laden was offered up to that administration and they refused the deal.

No one anticipated that type of suicide attack, we can blame presidents all day long, same for the economy. Does not help us now.

Our troops are overseas for us. The next time you wonder if it is worth it, take a look at yourself, your wife and kids and ask are (you) they worth it? Soldiers don't die for nothing, there is always an overall strategic need/reason be it training or combat. It costs a lot to stand for something.

Unfortunately, the current administration seems to be cracking down more on the tax paying citizen and his/her rights than they are terrorism.

My .02 while I still have it.

martin35
August 08, 2010, 17:45
What the hell cowbilly why should we take the time to think things out when we can piss and moan?

Enquiring Minds
August 13, 2010, 10:14
Originally posted by one hand clapping
I have to TOTALY disagree with the proposition the BUSH#2 did anything positive
I have NO love for any fundamentalist of any ilk who wants me dead because of who / how I am. I AM sugesting that BUSH knowingly kicked the hornets nest for the never ending war. The powers that run things now have a mantra for doing away with our personal freedoms, "Its for the fatherland"
I have NO expectation that the current Pretender and thief has our intrests anymore at heart than the last one.
OHC

:bow: Better watch out... peeps might realize that there REALLY IS a M-I-Complex, and that it sucks $700,000,000,000+ out of the economy per annum. When the M-I-C finally ran out of Kommies, they discovered Moose Limbs... and when they run out them, expect to see cartoons and photoshops showing how "evil" the Chinese are. Perpetual peace requires perpetual war.

Oh, and there's no such thing as "blowback"... they hate us for our free-dumbs. :rolleyes::rolleyes: