PDA

View Full Version : Ruger MkII or MkIII?

ByronF
July 30, 2010, 04:43
Used to have a MkII with 5.5" bull and I want another. Is there any reason to want a MkIII vs the MkII without the chamber indicator? I personally don't want the slot in the left side of the receiver because it looks like ass and the gubmint wants it there. My understanding is the MkII is an improvement from the MkI due to BHO?

I may someday have it suppressed, if that makes any difference in which is preferred.

Thanks,
Byron

catmguy445
July 30, 2010, 12:24
The MkII has the bolt hold open feature and also holds one more round in the magazine than the MkI. Nine rounds in the MkI and ten in the MkII. I also agree with you about the government-suggested (mandated?) modifications to the MkIII. My personal choice would definitely be the MkII.

D P Six
July 30, 2010, 14:05
IIRC the MkIII went to the 1911 type magazine release as opposed to the botton of grip release. That is a big deal if you play any 22 shooting games that require a reload.

W.E.G.
July 30, 2010, 14:07
...and to think I almost let my MK II go because I had some lame notion that the MK III must be "better."

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/DSCN3165.jpg

mojo_matic
July 31, 2010, 21:15
I like the mag release on the MKIII.

I really dislike the 22/45 variations. barf..............

ByronF
August 03, 2010, 18:59
Well, today I picked up the MkII. 1984, excellent condition. $310.

richbug
August 03, 2010, 21:51
Originally posted by catmguy445
The MkII has the bolt hold open feature and also holds one more round in the magazine than the MkI. Nine rounds in the MkI and ten in the MkII. I also agree with you about the government-suggested (mandated?) modifications to the MkIII. My personal choice would definitely be the MkII.

It is pretty simply to get 12 rounds in the MK1 mags with a few mods.

indy_Muaddib
August 03, 2010, 22:33
i dont like the fact the MKIII loaded chamber indicator index on the rim of a rimfire cartridge.

not the best idea if you drop it and it lands wrong.

doubletap
August 04, 2010, 22:23
If you are keeping the Mark II, the lack of mag interchangability would keep me from getting the Mark III, plus the lame chamber indicator, the lame "hi viz' front sights on some of the versions, etc. Looks to me like the Ruger 22 auto pistol kinda peaked with the Mark II's.

ICU308
August 15, 2010, 06:56
:bow: IMHO the Mark II is as good as it gets . A good set of target grips (walnut of course) , and Lapua Standard ammo ; the results are 10X . :wink: