PDA

View Full Version : Gen 4 worth it/or slim grip?

FAL GRUNT
July 26, 2010, 12:24
So as an extension of my G19 thread, is a Gen 4 worth the extra bucks?

Or should that money be spent slimming/stippling the grip?

-myers

W.E.G.
July 26, 2010, 14:13
Hey man, its your gun.

But, if I thought I had to take a grinder and a soldering iron to a new Glock to make it right, I think I'd just buy a different gun. Glocks are "perfection" and all that shit, but there's lots of other really good guns out there too.

The Gen 4's have that spring-inside-a-spring arrangement, which has been the subject of some breakage.

The Glock works just fine for me right out of the box... well, except that I do have to push the rear sight all the way to the right to get it to print to center. Reminds me of a couple of my FAL's.

Fn/form
July 26, 2010, 14:13
S&M moment? You want us to tell you what you like? :p

I like the G4 grip a lot. One-hand drills are more confident for me. The grip surface is much better than G3. Maybe not as good as the RTF, but it doesn't tear up uniforms/clothing like the RTF.

Some still prefer the grip reduction with 1911 style back. Easy enough to try one local, no? Only you can decide which you like best.

FAL GRUNT
July 26, 2010, 14:54
:) I did not mean for you to tell me which I like best, just looking for some input from some people who may know glocks a lot better than me. Mainly on whether the Gen 4 is worth the money over a Gen 3, or whether it would be more cost effective to have the grip slimmed on a Gen 3.

I am a 1911 guy. I have only fired maybe 1/2 dozen glocks, never owned one, but probably will someday. I have nothing against glocks, but when I pick up a 1911 and point it at a target the sights are right on. When I pick up a glock my sights are way high and right. I have to stop, re-adjust, re-sight, concentrate, and even then I usually shoot high and all over the place.

However, my wife does not like 1911's. She did however like the glock 19 she shot, but she thought the grip was too large. She did like the slimmed grip, but she thought the stippling was too sharp/rough. So, as a comprimise I thought the Gen 4 might suffice having a slimmer grip? (or at least I thought?)

I'll be taking her shopping this week, but around here there is not much as far as selection. Most places will happily order you whatever you want but do not have stock on hand for you to try and feel.

-myers

W.E.G.
July 26, 2010, 15:23
Believe it or not, I occasionally snoop around other boards.

Am I missing something?
Do the Gen 4 Glocks come with a coupon for "romantic services" or something?

There seems to be a spate of inquiries about whether the Gen 4 changes are "worth it," or whether the changes are "better."

You tell us.

What ARE the changes???

All I see is a new type of stippling on the frame that some have reported to rip-up their expensive plasticky-fiber undershirts, an arguably defective new recoil spring design, and some sort of bent-over swoopy patterns on the slide.

I think maybe there is an ambi-mag release - which prevents you from using older Glock mags.
I'm right-handed, so a mag release on the left side doesn't do much for me. I'm so uncoordinated with my left hand, that by the time I'm shooting left-handed under stress, I might as well just save the last round for myself.

AFAIK, the grip width is the same as it ever was.

There is a .45 Auto "slim-frame" Glock on the market.
I guess that means its closer to the usual G17 diameter instead of that ridiculously-fat profile that most double-stack 45's have.

There is no "slim-frame" 9mm that I know of.

FAL GRUNT
July 26, 2010, 15:42
Well supposedly part of the changes is a adjustable rear strap similar to say a Walther, or an XD. This would change the grip length.

Part of the "slimming" services I have seen remove the rear hump on the grip. The adjustable rear back strap would fix this issue. I do not know that the slimming services or stippling is actually removing from the grip width, just the back. Please correct me if I am wrong on this.

-myers

W.E.G.
July 26, 2010, 16:02
I see the mag latch is REVERSIBLE -- not AMBI.
So, maybe you can still use the old Glock mags so long as you haven't switched the button around to the wrong side.

And a pop-in-pop-out backstrap that doesn't change the grip angle, but does appear to change the depth of the grip.

http://www.glock.com/downloads/GLOCK_Gen4_en.pdf

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/Glock/backstrap.jpg

Fn/form
July 26, 2010, 18:21
Ah, the wifey explanation does help.

The grip is more aggressive than a Gen 3, no doubt. My Gen 4 got my finger tips raw during the first couple of 200rd range trips. I think it's worn, now, and no more discomfort. A little buffing could take care of the edges if that's the biggest deal.

A Gen 4 could probably sell for close to what you bought it if you don't like it. A grip reduction is quite a commitment.

Did she try the XDm and M&P? I really liked the XDm trigger on my buddy's pistol.

preston1026
July 27, 2010, 10:01
I would do the gen 4... if you dont like it you can pretty much recover all your funds.

Now what i really wish is a single stack slim frame 9mm

Tat2
August 01, 2010, 17:38
Originally posted by FAL GRUNT
So as an extension of my G19 thread, is a Gen 4 worth the extra bucks?

Or should that money be spent slimming/stippling the grip?

-myers

No not worth it IMHO. Its like .006 smaller.... woo hoo. If
you are going to pay to try and reduce it anyway. Then just
get an older Glock that is cheaper. The only reason they went
to the Gen4 is for the LE guys w/ a G22. It would malfunction
w/ the rail mounted lights attached and the double recoil spring
was supposed to be a fix. My answer would have been to just use
a G35 w/ the light. It functions great w/ light on.

T

hagar
August 01, 2010, 20:42
Sigma should sue them..;) Glock is just getting more and more mediocre every day, the only thing new in their lineup worth having is the G20 SF.

Timber Wolf
August 17, 2010, 10:19
I recommend doing what I did, get an XDm. I went for the 3.8 .40 S&W but if 9 is your preference you can get a full short box of ammo (20 rounds) in one.:bow: I really tried to love my Glocks. I carried a G27 for a while and had a G22 RTF in the nightstand. I liked and shot both well but they just were not right for me. I bought the XDm and it has been true love. I then went looking and stumbled across an XDsc for my carry piece and the XDm does nightstand duty fitted with a light. The main difference I can honestly say between the Springfields and Glocks is both XDs feel a LOT better when gripped and shot one-handed. I know that we all "train" or spend most of our range time shooting two-handed but when TSHTF we will most likely have other things to do with our off-hand besides support a pistol. I could grip and draw the G27 O.K. but had to shift my grip or juggle it to get into a shooting grip. The XDsc draws and fits into my hand fine as-is. Now if Springfield will just come out with an XDm sub-compact so I can use the same mags I would be a happy camper. I still want to feel up on a Gen 4 G23 though and am not selling my G22 RTF, yet....:wink:

yarro
August 19, 2010, 14:32
My list of good full sized DA autos is (not in any particular order):

GLock (have 3)
XD/XD-M (don't have one yet)
CZ-75B (have 2, and everyone with small hands likes them better than the Glocks.)

I have trouble concealing thick so I don't carry any of those unless wearing a jacket. Leaning toward a Walther PPS for weather that falls in between shorts and jackets, but haven't gone to the range to shoot my buddy's yet. Feels nice, but he says it is more snappy than my large stuff. Most important is to find something that fits the hand and naturally comes up to point of aim (ie sights alligned).

-yarro

1MOR
September 12, 2010, 14:01
I must have bought some very strange Glocks, two in 40cal, three in 9MM and one in 10MM. All new from the factory, all shot without hiccup to point of aim and none needed any custom addons. Even shot several in competitions, no problems, just box stock off the shelf models. No kabooms, no limp wristing, no FTEs. WTF?

All get cleaned once a year, whether they need it or not. Own a Glock, Simple Green and hot water is your friend.

Only Glock that I have seen that was problematic, some dude had at a three gun match. Was all tricked out, wacked out sights, slide mods, custom FC parts and some special super duper spring. Guy was doing great if that POS would go off 2X in a row. I offered to let him use my spare G22 that I kept under the front seat.

FAL GRUNT
September 12, 2010, 19:06
Originally posted by 1MOR
I must have bought some very strange Glocks, two in 40cal, three in 9MM and one in 10MM. All new from the factory, all shot without hiccup to point of aim and none needed any custom addons. Even shot several in competitions, no problems, just box stock off the shelf models. No kabooms, no limp wristing, no FTEs. WTF?

All get cleaned once a year, whether they need it or not. Own a Glock, Simple Green and hot water is your friend.

Only Glock that I have seen that was problematic, some dude had at a three gun match. Was all tricked out, wacked out sights, slide mods, custom FC parts and some special super duper spring. Guy was doing great if that POS would go off 2X in a row. I offered to let him use my spare G22 that I kept under the front seat.

I am confused as to the point of your post? :biggrin: If it is an anecdote, then I appreciate the contribution? But it seems like you are trying to make a point? Not sure what it is?

-myers

1MOR
September 13, 2010, 10:20

I am confused as to the point of your post? :biggrin: If it is an anecdote, then I appreciate the contribution? But it seems like you are trying to make a point? Not sure what it is?

-myers

Mostly anecdote Myers! Glocks are the epitome of KISS. Forgot to add, I also got paid to carry one. Fortunately, I could pickup anything issued and make it work, strong hand, weak hand, both hands. Never seemed to have a problem with grips. For some reason, I just can't seem to get my arms around this designer grip thing. Hope you find something that fits ya!!:biggrin: :biggrin:

FAL GRUNT
September 13, 2010, 10:30
:wink: OK. Well, like I said, it would be more for my wife. She needs something as comfortable and fitting as possible.

Me, I can't do squat with glocks! If you were standing 10 feet in front of me I would not hit you. Might give you a hair cut though. I tried a couple times drawing, presenting, and firing with 2 or 3 different kinds of glocks. If I aimed at the crotch, I would hit the face :eek:

My 1911 though I do not even look at the sights... it is on target. No need to adjust, nothing. Just right where I need it.

-myers

Tat2
September 13, 2010, 12:26
:wink: OK. Well, like I said, it would be more for my wife. She needs something as comfortable and fitting as possible.

Me, I can't do squat with glocks! If you were standing 10 feet in front of me I would not hit you. Might give you a hair cut though. I tried a couple times drawing, presenting, and firing with 2 or 3 different kinds of glocks. If I aimed at the crotch, I would hit the face :eek:

My 1911 though I do not even look at the sights... it is on target. No need to adjust, nothing. Just right where I need it.

-myers

It is because they have a VASTLY different grip angle. I only complete
with one or the other. Period. When I am shooting Glocks I carry a
Glock. When I am competing w/ 1911/2011's I carry a 1911.

T