PDA

View Full Version : new Glock 26

harleypower69
July 20, 2010, 22:17
Question - Got a new model 26 and cleaned and lubed before range time. I shot 400 rounds of Winchester Ranger 124 gr. FMJ through it. I had 5 instances where a fired round did not extract and was jammed in the chamber by the next round in the mag.

Do you think this is just a normal break-in issue?

Is the extractor defective?

Is the ammo combined with a short light slide creating a timing issue?

Do I need a lighter recoil spring to slow it down?

I know I am grasping at straws but any feedback would be deeply appreciated. I shot it strong hand and weak with no issue. Problems only happened infrequently, using two handed grip, not with a first or a last round in mag. I am perplexed.

Ideas, please.

Chris

vmtz
July 20, 2010, 22:38
I have not a clue, all my Glocks work right out of the box. Are you limp wristing?

Vince

Stranger
July 21, 2010, 09:42
The only time I have heard of that happening is when someone has a limp wrist.

Have someone else shoot it and see if they have the same problem.

W.E.G.
July 21, 2010, 11:16
Try different ammo.

harleypower69
July 21, 2010, 23:05
No to limp wristing; 212 lbs of muscle with over 35 years semiauto pistol experience. Trust me on this one guys.

W.E.G., do you think lighter and faster ammo i.e. 115 gr or heavier and slower ammo i.e. 147 gr ?

It seems to me that it is a "timing" issue in that spent case is not extracted before next round is fed. This is what I am getting at. I know Glocks have a good reputation right out of the box. Just wondering if this subcompact is more finnicky.

Chris

moses
July 21, 2010, 23:43
About what round out of the 400 shot was your last FTE?

hagar
July 22, 2010, 07:47
If it was my Glock, I would have serious misgivings about using it as a self defence piece. The only time my G26 will jam on me is with the 10 round G19 magazines. For some reason these make it jam like a mofo, the 15 round G19 magazines and all G26 mags work like a charm. You can try different ammo, but a Glock should work with anything but the worst reloaded ammo. And a Glock does not need aftermarket springs to function.

One thing you may check is your grip. Do you use the 2 thumbs forward position? If not, you may cause the slide to rub on your hand somewhere and hang up enough to cause a malfunction.

Skilter
July 22, 2010, 14:01
Originally posted by hagar

One thing you may check is your grip. Do you use the 2 thumbs forward position? If not, you may cause the slide to rub on your hand somewhere and hang up enough to cause a malfunction.

Ditto on this... I have a friend that had this problem. He used to shoot exclusively1911s with the thumbs stacked and resting on the slide. However, it sometimes created problems with his glocks if he allowed his thumbs to rest on the slide.

Tat2
July 22, 2010, 14:07

One thing you may check is your grip. Do you use the 2 thumbs forward position? If not, you may cause the slide to rub on your hand somewhere and hang up enough to cause a malfunction. [/B]

I agree with this. If it is only happening w/ a two hand grip, then
your grip is contacting the slide somewhere and causing it to slow down.

Also is it not coming out of the chamber at all? then extractor...
If it is coming out then hangin up in a stove-pipe or some other
jam.... then I say your grip again. It is a small gun and if your
hands are big it may be an issue.

good luck

T

harleypower69
July 22, 2010, 22:14
Originally posted by moses
About what round out of the 400 shot was your last FTE?

5th box so somewhere around the 200 to 250 count.

harleypower69
July 22, 2010, 22:21
If it was my Glock, I would have serious misgivings about using it as a self defence piece. The only time my G26 will jam on me is with the 10 round G19 magazines. For some reason these make it jam like a mofo, the 15 round G19 magazines and all G26 mags work like a charm. You can try different ammo, but a Glock should work with anything but the worst reloaded ammo. And a Glock does not need aftermarket springs to function.

I only have the two mags that came with the gun. Both are stock model 26 ten rounders. I agree I have some concerns about reliability.

Right handed shooter, left hand cupping right hand thumb with left thumb over right one facing downward. Right hand thumb in the finger groove. No abrasions on hands and shoot locked straight arm "turret" style.

harleypower69
July 22, 2010, 22:26
Originally posted by Tat2

I agree with this. If it is only happening w/ a two hand grip, then
your grip is contacting the slide somewhere and causing it to slow down.

Also is it not coming out of the chamber at all? then extractor...
If it is coming out then hangin up in a stove-pipe or some other
jam.... then I say your grip again. It is a small gun and if your
hands are big it may be an issue.

good luck

T

Correct, spent round is not coming out of chamber. I have to lock back slide, drop mag, release slide and rack again to get spent case out. The mag feeds the following round and pins spent case in the chamber is the problem. Can't just drop mag free without slide locking back. It is not my hand contacting the weapon. There is no sign of abrasion on hands, no pain, blood, nothing....believe me I've shot enough 1911's to recognize slide bite.

harleypower69
July 22, 2010, 22:29
To clarify, this has not been a stovepipe scenario. Just a failure to extract. keep the thoughts coming, please. I tried to join Glocktalk but though registered days ago still can not post. Anybody a member their that could pose this question over there for me in the mechanical section, please? I use the same harleypower69 name over there.

Thanks,

Chris

Bulletman
July 23, 2010, 01:09
[QUOTE]Originally posted by harleypower69
[B]Question - Got a new model 26 and cleaned and lubed before range time. I shot 400 rounds of Winchester Ranger 124 gr. FMJ through it. I had 5 instances where a fired round did not extract and was jammed in the chamber by the next round in the mag.

If it is new out of box as you imply, SEND IT BACK TO GLOCK with a clear explanation of what it is doing. You shouyldn't have to fight this out on a new Glock. I have two 26s and they have both been excellent right out of the box as have all my other Glocks I had to correct my son's limp wristing at the range when I first got my 19, but he had no trouble with it once he learned.

Tat2
July 23, 2010, 11:47
You buy the Glock because it is uber reliable. I shoot them in competition
and have fired over 20,000+ rounds thru G34,G35,G22,G17 and have
have exactly ONE failure (a weird double feed ). Call Glock.

I will call a buddy who has a G26 today. I will ask him if he had any issues in the initial few hundred rounds. It is the first Glock w/ the double recoil spring in it. But I do not think it should make a difference.

Sorry you are having problems....

W.E.G.
July 23, 2010, 11:55
Try any ammo other than what you used.

Between the two, the chances of a bad batch of ammo, versus the chances of a bad Glock, I'd place the higher likelihood of it being the ammo.

Tat2
July 23, 2010, 12:23
Originally posted by W.E.G.
Try any ammo other than what you used.

Between the two, the chances of a bad batch of ammo, versus the chances of a bad Glock, I'd place the higher likelihood of it being the ammo.

I agree. Go buy 500 rounds of another ammo and run it.
It will give you peace of mind. If it runs 500 more rounds
w/o a hitch it could just be bad ammo. Wally World has Federal
115gr for $9.47/50

T

Skilter
July 23, 2010, 13:21
I have a 26... runs flawlessly. Send it back. I bought a used single stack .45 glock (can't remember the number off hand) and it had problems. Sent it to Glock and they fixed it no problem.

Tat2
July 23, 2010, 16:58
Originally posted by Skilter
I have a 26... runs flawlessly. Send it back. I bought a used single stack .45 glock (can't remember the number off hand) and it had problems. Sent it to Glock and they fixed it no problem.

Honestly..... just call them and send it back. Why mess with it.
You will never have 100% confidence in it. For a carry gun I
would send it back.

T

harleypower69
July 24, 2010, 18:35
I picked up 500 rounds of Remington 115gr FMJ and will wring it out at the range tomorrow and report back. I appreciate all the feedback guys.

Chris

SID325
July 24, 2010, 21:35
I have shot a few thousand rounds through my 26 using the +2 mags and have never had any problems. The majority of the ammo has been Win Ranger 147gr SXT sub-sonic and ball, no issues.

sid

717driver
July 24, 2010, 23:49
5 malfs in 500 rounds is too much. Something is wrong. Send it back and get it checked before wasting anymore ammo.

mutter
July 25, 2010, 00:29
Get a real gun!

Tactical tupperware is notoriously inaccurate and has no real safety. Not a natural gun for shooting.

Hell, damn thing even makes a poor hammer!

Can you say m1911A1!

On the semi serious side:

Obviously, I am no fan of Glocks, but if you have any issues with a Glock within the 1st 8000 rounds, you have a defective gun.

Follow the others advice and return it for repair.

Find something you can trust!

Your life and your gun.

harleypower69
July 25, 2010, 15:01
Well, started out using up the Winchester Ranger 124 gr ammo and had major jamming issues. Curiously it stopped after 4 mags or so. Used up the rest of it and continued shooting with Remmington 115 gr. ammo. Completely relaible through all 500 rounds.:] of the Remington.

So, either it needed a long break in period or the Ranger ammo sucked or the 124 gr is not ideal for this particular gun. I will continue to experiment with other 124 gr brands and see if bullet weight was a factor. I'll also get some 147 gr to try.

My thoughts are that a short barrel may benefit from the more complete burn of the 147 gr vs the lighter ammo.

Anyone following this thread care to share thoughts or experiences?

Thanks,

Chris

Tat2
July 25, 2010, 15:20
Originally posted by harleypower69
Well, started out using up the Winchester Ranger 124 gr ammo and had major jamming issues. Curiously it stopped after 4 mags or so. Used up the rest of it and continued shooting with Remmington 115 gr. ammo. Completely relaible through all 500 rounds.:] of the Remington.

So, either it needed a long break in period or the Ranger ammo sucked or the 124 gr is not ideal for this particular gun. I will continue to experiment with other 124 gr brands and see if bullet weight was a factor. I'll also get some 147 gr to try.

My thoughts are that a short barrel may benefit from the more complete burn of the 147 gr vs the lighter ammo.

Anyone following this thread care to share thoughts or experiences?

Thanks,

Chris

Thats great that it ran well with the new ammo! It should work period. So maybe it was just a bad batch or ammo. If you go with a 115gr
defensive round Federal 9BP is great. Not cheap but great ammo.
I have heard guys like the Speer Gold Dots too.

I shoot 124gr bullets exclusively in competition. It took some
snap out of the gun compared to 115gr. the 147gr, for me and
my gun (G34), slowed the slide too much. It functioned perfectly, but I
felt that I was waiting on the slide to get back into battery.

Good luck and make sure you function test at least 200 rounds of
what you plan on using as a defensive round. 12 round mags too ;)

T

W.E.G.
July 25, 2010, 15:23
Short barrel... long barrel...

Don't mean shit.

Its all about putting the rounds inside the 9-ring.

Outside of that, your odds go down sharply, no matter what you are shooting.

Glad you found out the Ranger ball ammo is no good in that gun.
Don't buy no more of it.

Now you need to get hold of several boxes of whatever it is you plan to carry.
Test that.

I recommend hollow points.
Beyond that, "Extreme Shock" or all that old bullshit don't mean a goddam thing.
Quality hollow points. Any brand.
Test 'em to make sure they work in your gun.
This is not a new concept.

In a gunfight its about shooting first.
Putting the rounds in the 9 ring.
Not getting shot your own self.

No reason to overthink it, or get snookered by the snake oil salesmen.

I will say I prefer nickel-plated brass.
Most premium ammo comes with nickel brass already.
Since you aint gonna shoot a lot of it after you settle on what works, nickel don't turn green the way yellow brass does.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/humor/mayberry/asabreely-9.jpg

harleypower69
July 25, 2010, 16:33
In case I forgot to mention it....you guys are farcking great, sincerely! Thank-you for the shared experiences, thoughts and support. I'll report back on which hollowpoints work best next range trip.

Chris

Tim Dreas
July 25, 2010, 16:37
It still may have an extractor issue and it only shows up when the case rim i at the small side of specs. Inspect the extractor for small chipping. It can become damaged and will chip if the side is dropped in a chambered round. The new ammo that does work may have a slightly different rim than the Winchester ammo. To prevent damaging the Glock extractor always feed rounds from the magazine so the case rim can slide up behind the extractor.

harleypower69
August 02, 2010, 11:51
Well after 2 more range trips and 500 rounds of shooting everything from 115gr to 147 gr and all manner of bullet types. Not one problem. Looks like I bought the one Glock ever built that required a long break in.

moses
August 02, 2010, 13:05
I have a Glock 17 RTF2 and it jammed the very first shot out of it and then jammed again on the first shot of the second mag, hasn't had a single problem since. I think maybe it just had to realize it was a Glock! hehehehehe

Glad yours is working now!

W.E.G.
August 02, 2010, 13:20
Well after 2 more range trips and 500 rounds of shooting everything from 115gr to 147 gr and all manner of bullet types. Not one problem. Looks like I bought the one Glock ever built that required a long break in.

Is it shooting that Ranger stuff without trouble now?

harleypower69
August 02, 2010, 20:47
Yes, even loaded mixed mags with the original Ranger 124 gr, 115 HP and 147 subsonics, some + P and it eats all of it like beer nuts. I am amazed at the turnaround with this gun. I thought I got an original POS but now am very happy. Mag dumps at 10 yards are the size of a 50 cent piece. Don't know what to make of the break in period except perhaps over tight tolerances, strong mag spring / recoil spring....just don't know but the end result is good.

All of you who shared experiences and guidance...well, you have a friend in AZ if you get out this way.

Much respect,

Chris

Tat2
August 02, 2010, 23:00
Thats great Harley!! Now go out and shoot it in an IDPA or GSSF Match!!

T

Bulletman
August 03, 2010, 01:20
Originally posted by Tat2
Thats great Harley!! Now go out and shoot it in an IDPA or GSSF Match!!

T

Or down on the border!

Heat
August 19, 2010, 01:40
Question - Got a new model 26 and cleaned and lubed before range time. I shot 400 rounds of Winchester Ranger 124 gr. FMJ through it. I had 5 instances where a fired round did not extract and was jammed in the chamber by the next round in the mag.

Do you think this is just a normal break-in issue?

Is the extractor defective?

Is the ammo combined with a short light slide creating a timing issue?

Do I need a lighter recoil spring to slow it down?

I know I am grasping at straws but any feedback would be deeply appreciated. I shot it strong hand and weak with no issue. Problems only happened infrequently, using two handed grip, not with a first or a last round in mag. I am perplexed.

Ideas, please.

Chris
I had the exact same problem with a 26..was a defective extractor from the factory..was essentially half the size of a normal one

yarro
August 19, 2010, 14:21
Probably swarf under the extractor from when it was put together or a burr. The ammo could have aggravated it. If it keeps happening, contact Glock. The only malfunction on the three I have was the trigger failing to reset after the spring broke. I now replace them every 4k or so since I really don't like the NY trigger springs, which are a different design.

-yarro

hagar
August 19, 2010, 14:50
Originally posted by Bulletman
Or down on the border!

Anybody who goes into a planned confrontation with a handgun is an idiot. That is Fal territory!:beer:

CTW
August 19, 2010, 15:15

Anybody who goes into a planned confrontation with a handgun is an idiot. That is Fal territory!:beer:

I was thinkin the same thing!;)

Heat
August 19, 2010, 22:30

Handguns, for all their sexiness serve a limited utiltarian role..great for the bedside or out in public for dealing with a close altercation/emergency---but for a PLANNED encounter or anything beyond 25 ft Id say a shotgun or rifle is the way to go with the advantage going to the rifle--20 rds of 308 or even 8rds of 30-06 beats a highcap pistol or a shotgun nearly everytime!