PDA

View Full Version : Sig rifle issues: have they been resolved?

littlehoot
July 20, 2010, 09:54
does anyone know if sig got their issues with the 550 resolved? specifically those about carrier/reciever impacts?

lawdog
July 21, 2010, 08:22
Check out www.sigarms556.com forums for in depth discussions. I recently went round and round in my head about buying one due to CDNN's give away of a 522 with each 556. After reading enough over there, I decided to not get one.

Reliability seems just excellent, but there is a guy over there that had some odd bolt carrier wear. Folks over there still report accuracy ranging from tackdrivers to shotgun like patterns. Seems to still be all over the place as far as what you get. I didn't get the feeling that SIG was yet on top of this as well as they could be.

Outlaw Patriot
July 21, 2010, 16:57
Do you mean the 556? If anything, there are more issues now than before.

My rifle is an early serial number, I think its about 5 years old now, and it had a canted rail, and came with a lower that wasnt well fitted to the upper and ratled a huge amount, almost comically so.

Sent it back, they put on a new rail and lower, and the gun is now perfect.

The new ones, they have problems with the bolt face wearing against the receiver, and I think some other things. They dont have a fix for the wear problem, other than to just grind off metal from the bolt. Great.

Maybe its just me, but I'd rather my rifle had fixable problems.

littlehoot
July 22, 2010, 16:10
yeah i meant 556, had 550 on the brain for some reason. i've been thinking on another rifle, and like the lines of the sig, but do not want a rifle with obvious issues.

not that i dont understand that all rifles can have them, but why buy a rifle that i know may have them from the get go?

Outlaw Patriot
July 22, 2010, 17:13
Originally posted by littlehoot
why buy a rifle that i know may have them from the get go?

In my humble opinion, I've seen a higher % of AR 15s with reliability problems than I've seen 556s with major issues of any kind. Mine has not had a single failure, and once the rail/lower fit were fixed, it has been a great gun. Minute of clay pigeon to 350 yards with 55gr Fiocchi.

gunnut1
July 30, 2010, 21:06
This is one of many reasons I sold my SIG 556 POS. I could see the problems starting to appear. I will never own another SIG rifle. SIG just did not have their heart in this mess they call a 556.

Now their pistols, I like 'em!

JohnnyReb
July 30, 2010, 22:53
You would be way better off with 3 Century Anythings for the same price as a Sig. At least 1 of the Century's would work, and you would have a lot of spare parts. :D

moses
July 31, 2010, 14:31
JohnnyReb did your 556 not work?

Mine has never had a failure of any kind well over 2000 rds.

Well the stock did fall off because of the too shallow groove that is supposed to hold the little e-clip :eek: I fixed that by deepening the groove .010
But as far as the weapon cycling I have never had a failure.

It is pretty decent in accuracy as I get about 2 to 2.5 MOA 20 shot groups

Stranger
July 31, 2010, 21:52
I have two 556s and both work great. Yeah, I did have to reinstall the rail on one, but now it is rock solid.

gunnut1
August 01, 2010, 13:14
The 556 I had had a VERY loose upper to lower fit. I called Sig and they told me that was normal. OK a little slop I can see but this thing was extremely loose. I could never get it group. It patterned more than it grouped. And this was a short yardage from a bench. The front stock was loose to the point that anything mounted to it wold have been useless. I tried the original stock, a SIG quad rail and a 551 fore stock. The crush washer for the flash hider had so much torque applied when it was put on that it was ovaled.

It would not feed Wolf ammo worth a crap. Seemed to be OK an everything else.

I really tried to like the gun but I expect WAY more out of SIG than this thing.

I am sorry I traded an AR and 10 mags for the SIG. I wish I had the AR back.

Besides, I think the AR platform is way better any way.

gunfanx3
August 04, 2010, 17:52
Recently picked up a new Sig 556 Classic. It has been fine and I have been happy with it. No issues and I don't expect any. gunfanx3

JohnnyReb
August 05, 2010, 13:52
Moses,

Mine did work, although I thought it was lacking in the accuracy department and heavy. Great trigger. Pretty much just lost interest in it, had to try too hard to hit stuff with it .....

moses
August 05, 2010, 15:12
Johnnyreb we need to get you into reloading!!!!!
My Sig didn't like any of the surplus ammo I have but when I worked up a load for it (24grs of Varget and a 55 gr hornady FMJ) it was pretty accurate.
Shooting Lake City or FN 55 gr ammo it wasn't accurate at all, read 5 inch groups compared to my 2 to 2 1/2 inch groups I was getting with my reloads.

You need to get a Dillon 650!!!!!!!!!!!!

GySgt D
August 09, 2010, 14:29
Mine is still going strong. Never had a malf.

A few anecdotes about mine; JS019xxx:
-loose upper to lower fit
-it costs hundreds of dollars to make the rifle not look like the poster child for Tapco.
-never shot it with a telescopic optic installed, but it seems accurate enuff
-mine does not have the canted rail nor the bolt carrier wear issue
-Sig diopter (an additional $270) is overpriced junk. Mine required Dremeling in order for it to get sighted-in

That being said, mine is set up really nice right now. A Trijicon RX30 on top, along with real Swiss handguards, Magpul ACS stock, and Moses' Hurricane flash hider.

FWIW, my new favorite load for it is a 75gr Hornady OTM, Wolf SRM primer, and 24.1gr of TAC. Zips along at 2665 fps, which is just a shade under Hornady TAP 5.56

black sheep
August 11, 2010, 10:08
Mine is an early one, 50XX...nice upper to lower fit, digests anything i feed it, is acceptably accurate...did have to pitch the orig. handguard for a swiss one, and replaced the coll. for an A2......now its PERFECT!

Black Sheep

Insider
August 25, 2010, 03:53
Wow, I'm sorry you guys had issues with your SIG's, I have one of the early ones with the "gill guards" and it's been 100% since day one. I've had 3 AR's and no issues with them either. :eek: