PDA

View Full Version : Wesley Snipes gets 3 years hard for tax evasion. 'Blade' gets sliced.

renaissance_warrior
July 16, 2010, 20:51
How low the incompetent and avioider have fallen But where is the verdict of William 'Cash' Jefferson?

Court upholds prison sentence for Snipes

The Associated Press

Updated: Fri. Jul. 16 2010 8:09 PM ET

ATLANTA A federal appeals court Friday upheld the three-year prison sentence against film star Wesley Snipes, who was convicted two years ago of failing to file income tax returns for three years.

The opinion by the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals is the latest blow to the action movie icon, whose attorneys argued that the three-year sentence was "unreasonable" and that he should have been granted a hearing to decide whether his trial should have been held in New York instead of Florida.

But the three-judge panel concluded in a 35-page ruling that the Florida federal court that sentenced Snipes "acted well within its considerable discretion."

The actor has been free on bail while he appealed the convictions for wilfully failing to file his federal income taxes from 1999 to 2001. Snipes' attorney declined to comment. It's unclear when the actor will have to report to prison.

Snipes was sentenced in April 2008 in what was considered a key victory for prosecutors who aggressively pursued the maximum penalty to deter others from trying to obstruct the IRS. They say he made at least US$13.8 million for the years in question and owed $2.7 million in back taxes that he refused to pay.

Snipes has apologized, saying that he was an idealistic artist who was "unschooled in the science of law and finance." But, according to court documents, Snipes didn't simply silently refuse to pay the taxes.

He sent "treatises describing theories about why the IRS was powerless to collect income taxes from him and several altered tax forms demanding money for taxes he had rendered in earlier years," according to the ruling. He also invited employees of his film production company to tax resistance seminars at his home, it said.

When he did consult his longtime tax attorneys about his decision not to pay federal income taxes, they told him that he was required to file the returns and ultimately terminated him as a client, the ruling said.

His attorneys urged the three-judge panel during oral arguments in November to toss the convictions because they said the case should have been tried in New York. But the court's ruling found "there was no abuse of discretion" in holding the trial in Florida, where prosecutors said Snipes split his time.

Snipes' attorneys in June also unsuccessfully urged the court to allow them a new appeal after a key government witness in Snipes' trial was charged in May with securities fraud worth $59 million. His lawyers said the arrest of Kenneth Starr, a one-time adviser to Snipes and other celebrities, undermined his credibility.

Bama Steve
July 16, 2010, 21:06
Thought that O'bama money was a sure thing, I'll bet.
Voted for it too I'll wager. . .

"Another one under the bus"

(Sorta a "Queen" lyric, aint it?).

:rofl:

juanni
July 16, 2010, 21:57
Where is the real crime??

Snipes making 14 million over 3 years and unlawfully stiffing the IRS 2.7 million (about20%).

or

Goldman Sachs making 2.3 BILLION in ONE year and legally paying only 1% to the IRS.

The tax laws in this country and the corrupt legislator's that write them are the crime.

...................juanni

Bama Steve
July 16, 2010, 22:02
Chris Rock made this distinction very well recently - Rich versus Wealth.

It was soberingly funny . . .

I hated that sobering part.

jeffrey
July 16, 2010, 23:39
Originally posted by juanni

Snipes making 14 million over 3 years and unlawfully stiffing the IRS 2.7 million (about20%).

or

Goldman Sachs making 2.3 BILLION in ONE year and legally paying only 1% to the IRS.

The tax laws in this country and the corrupt legislator's that write them are the crime.

While I agree 100% with your last sentence, your first point sounds like something one might
hear Ed Shultz or Keith Olberman say. Both of them are stunningly stupid.

While it is popular for "progressives" to talk about taxing corporations, they just fail to understand that ultimately, only individuals can pay taxes. Think about it little Juan.;)

Let's just agree that our tax laws and the people writing them suck.

juanni
July 17, 2010, 00:37
Originally posted by jeffrey

While I agree 100% with your last sentence, your first point sounds like something one might
hear Ed Shultz or Keith Olberman say. Both of them are stunningly stupid.

While it is popular for "progressives" to talk about taxing corporations, they just fail to understand that ultimately, only individuals can pay taxes. Think about it little Juan.;)

Think about this.....
Corporate "legitimate" expenses (dining, travel, lodging, security,,,,,) etc.... personally benefit individuals that don't pay taxes on that "compensation". :wink:

.................juanni

Holdn4aces
July 17, 2010, 03:49
He should have volunteered to make his "voluntary contribution".

Beckman
July 17, 2010, 06:35
Originally posted by renaissance_warrior
[...]
Snipes was sentenced in April 2008 in what was considered a key victory for prosecutors who aggressively pursued the maximum penalty to deter others from trying to obstruct the IRS...In other words, the prosecutors wanted to make an example of him. The sentence wasn't about "crime and punishment," it was about instilling public fear in order to "deter others."

What's more, the article makes it clear that Snipes was a tax protester, the type of person that the IRS hates the most:
He sent "treatises describing theories about why the IRS was powerless ... also invited employees of his film production company to tax resistance seminars at his home...The IRS and the prosecutors decided to make an example of Snipes, and it appears that they made their point in a very highly publicized case. However, the IRS didn't make an exampe of Snipes only because of what he did, but also because of what he thought.

As the old saying goes, "Kill one, terrorize a thousand."

Stranger
July 17, 2010, 09:53
Putting people in prison for not paying taxes is absolute BS. A tax debt should be just like any other debt. You can take civil action to reclaim money owed. Accounts can be liquidated. Assets can can be seized and sold. Take what he owes and leave him a pauper, but putting a person in prison for not paying a debt is BS.

juanni
July 17, 2010, 11:44
Originally posted by armarsh

Yes, and corporations do more of this than is necessary to lower their tax bill. Chicken vs egg.

The point is that corporations in the end pay zero taxes. The persons that use the products or services pay these taxes as a percentage of the cost of the product. I prefer my taxes to be open and accountable versus hidden and unaccountable.

The 65,000 plus pages that is our tax code is without merit. Pure political corruption.

I agree.
The end result is that corporations pay 0 taxes, control the politicans, the legislative process of taxes, corporate welfare and bailouts, are rarely held criminally responsible for crimes such as fraud and drug money laundering. Sure, the corp gets a slap on the wrist fine, but almost no one goes to prison for 3 years.

Wells Fargo, Wachovia and others have been violating federal money laundering laws for years which aids violent organized crime.
No one will be going to prison.

And as a bonus they has absolutely ZERO loyality to any nation or its citizens.

Snipe's crimes are petty by comparision.

...............juanni

gunplumber
July 17, 2010, 11:49
Seems to me it was a violation of his civil rights under equal protection.

There are a million illegals who haven't paid federal income tax EVER and they aren't getting 3 year prison sentences.

He was prosecuted based on his social status. Profiling.

101ABN327
July 17, 2010, 12:11

or

You must be a fan of Obonzo's Dodd/Frank Investment Takeover!

You'd better put your savings in a pillow case...

renaissance_warrior
July 17, 2010, 12:15
Well I will add that when his lawyers dropped him as a client, it would infer that he was pretty much 'outside the boundaries' of defensibility. I am sure that there were other issues. I will also say that I do agree with most of your comments, as I generally speaking, see things the same way.

John Culver
July 17, 2010, 12:30
Ahh debtors prison. Its nice to be back in the dark ages. After our founding father fought and died to end that crap, we just go ahead and do it anyways

Sickening

jeffrey
July 17, 2010, 12:49

I agree.
The end result is that corporations pay 0 taxes, control the politicans, the legislative process of taxes, corporate welfare and bailouts, are rarely held criminally responsible for crimes such as fraud and drug money laundering. Sure, the corp gets a slap on the wrist fine, but almost no one goes to prison for 3 years.

Wells Fargo, Wachovia and others have been violating federal money laundering laws for years which aids violent organized crime.
No one will be going to prison.

And as a bonus they has absolutely ZERO loyality to any nation or its citizens.

Snipe's crimes are petty by comparision.

...............juanni

JUANNI!
You are still stuck on that same liberal mantra! "corporations pay 0 taxes," :rofl:

One more time...a corporation CAN NOT pay taxes. It's popular for lefties to talk about taxing corporations, but it is always individuals that pay taxes. period.

This has nothing to do with expenses as you implied in your previous response. Come on,
I know you hate the evil corporations, just set that aside for a second and think.

ostrobothnian
July 17, 2010, 13:03
Back to "Snipes".

He is still a dick head.

My (ex) wife has a friend that is a stewardess on a prominent airline. She asked that prick if he wanted something to drink or eat. His response was, " Did I say that you could talk to me? Don't say another word."

The world would be a better place without "wesley snipes". Arrogant, narcissistic, egocentric, prick that idiot is.

juanni
July 17, 2010, 13:15

JUANNI!
You are still stuck on that same liberal mantra! "corporations pay 0 taxes," :rofl:

One more time...a corporation CAN NOT pay taxes. It's popular for lefties to talk about taxing corporations, but it is always individuals that pay taxes. period.

This has nothing to do with expenses as you implied in your previous response. Come on,
I know you hate the evil corporations, just set that aside for a second and think.

Dummy if you are going to be my own personal troll, please learn to read.

"a corporation CAN NOT pay taxes" = "corporations pay 0 taxes,"

You are arguing with yourself. :rolleyes:

................juanni

juanni
July 17, 2010, 13:21
Originally posted by 101ABN327

You must be a fan of Obonzo's Dodd/Frank Investment Takeover!

Please explain how you think I would be a fan of creating a permanent system taxpayer bailout funded bailouts of TBTF corporations????

...............juanni

blueyedfaler
July 17, 2010, 13:54
http://www.facebook.com/pages/INCOME-TAX-SHATTERING-THE-MYTHS-by-Dave-Champion/128056440559592

Get it, consume it, repeat.
STOP FEEDING THE PARASITES THE CONSUME US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

indy_Muaddib
July 17, 2010, 15:33
and this is why i file every year.

i put in -0- owed but still file.

got a refund for about 4k this year.

Brett
July 17, 2010, 16:38
It has nothing to do with the money, it's all about fear. Think of all the box office tax revenue the government will lose in three years while paying all his living expenses.

neilemore
July 17, 2010, 20:04
Originally posted by gunplumber
Seems to me it was a violation of his civil rights under equal protection.

There are a million illegals who haven't paid federal income tax EVER and they aren't getting 3 year prison sentences.

He was prosecuted based on his social status. Profiling. Selective enforcement.

jeffrey
July 17, 2010, 20:07
Sorry juanni, I'm not trolling you. Sounded like you were complaining that corporations aren't made
to pay their fair share, without understanding that it is always individuals - consumers and shareholders, who pay. Yes, I'll admit to being a little condescending, but since you took the conversation away from an ass named Wesley to how corporations legally pay almost no taxes, and then onto evil corporations laundering money for organized crime, I couldn't help myself.

Enough beating a dead horse. I'm going to go argue with myself. We're pretty evenly matched. :D

juanni
July 17, 2010, 21:39

Enough beating a dead horse. I'm going to go argue with myself. We're pretty evenly matched. :D

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :bow:

..................juanni

nwobhm
July 17, 2010, 22:49
Perspective:

$2,700,000 = 3 Years = $900,000 per Year = Wesley Snipes

$18,000,000,000 = 150 Years = $120,000,000 Per Year = Bernie Madoff

Wesley Snipes will serve all 3 years and pay all the back taxes + interest. Bernie won't serve more than 10.

$18,000,000,000 = 10 Years = $1,800,000,000 Per Year = Bernie Madoff actual per year value based on his probable life expectancy.

John Culver
July 17, 2010, 23:02
they jailed bernie ASAP to keep him from talking.

There was a lot more to Madoff then Madoff himself.

renaissance_warrior
July 20, 2010, 00:03
A good point, and that canary hasn't talked enough yet. BTW, where is the sentencing information on William 'Cash' Jefferson?

doodster
July 21, 2010, 15:02
Corporations sure do pay taxes. They just have to make money first. Most corporations don't make it past their first 1 or 2 years and never make any money, so the liberals of course spin that to serve their propaganda interests and say "blah blah blah waaah waaah 90% of corporations never pay taxes". They forget to mention that 90% of corporations actually lost money. But then again they don't have to be completely truthful to get the desired effect of "I dun seen that on the TV so its gotta be true"

If an individual gets an unreasonable amount of benefits from "meals and entertainment" or whatever you want to call it, they owe taxes on that amount.

I take it there are no tax accountants in the building.