PDA

View Full Version : Should I SBR this?

daschnoz
July 15, 2010, 11:11
I bought one of these in 9mm. ( http://www.militarygunsupply.com )

http://www.militarygunsupply.com/shop2/images/43carbine.jpg
PPSH-43

They are made with a 16" barrel so they can be sold as a standard carbine. The pistol version has a short barrel, but the stock is welded in the folded position.

$200 + some of my time in the shop would get it done. I have been toying with the idea since I bought the thing.

Would it be worth the effort?

W.E.G.
July 15, 2010, 11:47
You'll never make your money back on that deal.

But, if that's the gun you want, and you don't mind spending the money and doing the federal paperwork, and registering, I say go for it.

gunner30
July 15, 2010, 19:39
Any sentence that starts with the words "Should I SBR this....." The answer is obvious.. YES!

How's it run?

daschnoz
July 15, 2010, 20:10
It runs quite nicely. 200yds at a silhouette is not out of the question. It is by no means a tack driver - it truly is minute of bad guy. It's also fun to shoot.

gunner30
July 15, 2010, 20:25
Just wondering if it was a jam a matic or ammo sensitive? I love all these 9mm semi sub guns:beer:

daschnoz
July 16, 2010, 09:20
The only thing I have fed it has been 115gr ball - reloads and factory (WWB, UMC, Wolf, Blazer, etc). I have some 124gr rounds loaded up, but I have not had a chance to test them yet. I can't imagine that they would cause problems though. I don't know that I would try anything other than jacketed ball in this gun. Like most older designs, it was not designed to run bullets with flat nosed profiles (ie: modern hollow points). Pow'r Ball may be about the only non-ball I would try. For the cost though, I'll just shoot the bad guy twice with ball - it will still be cheaper.

It does jam from time to time - mostly on reloads that I used plated bullets for. Bullets with "real" jackets tend to run better. I think the feed angle is a bit sharp and the plated bullet is slightly softer than a real copper jacket. The corner of the barrel digs into the soft copper plating, where a real jacket simply runs over the corner. The jamming could also be a mag spring issue as most of the jams happen with 2 or 3 rounds left in the mag.

They offer it in both 9mm and 7.62 Tok. I chose 9mm due to availability of ammo. The case head of both rounds is the same diameter, so nothing major needed to be done to make the gun 9mm - just a new barrel. No mods need to be made to the mags either.

I wanted a military class, pistol caliber carbine. This gets the job done quite nicely. The design of this gun makes the AK look like a highly engineered machine. I like it!

I like the idea of the SBR, but I'm not sure I want my name on the "Big List" (as Gary referenced). I know I'm already on the small lists, but the Big List..... I'm not so sure of.

gunplumber
July 16, 2010, 10:49
Originally posted by gunner30
Any sentence that starts with the words "Should I SBR this....." The answer is obvious.. YES!

How's it run?

+1

But then, I pay $500 a year to do whatever I want.

SBR EVERYTHING!

kev
July 16, 2010, 17:51
There's only one list,................and all our names are on it.

Hippiecx44
July 17, 2010, 02:12
Nice weapon, uh, except for that snoot. I would feel compelled to SBR it as soon as possible. I would be afraid that otherwise I would find myself waking in the middle of the night, mezmerized , drawn to the gun safe and giving it the same fixated stare usualy reserved for a freshly born three headed calf.

I didn't know they made the long version. Been looking long and hard at the pistol

Been some reports of broken fireing pins and desinigrating buffers. Hope they get that sorted out

Nightops
July 18, 2010, 23:57
If you are going to SBR it, you should thread the barrel too. Then get a suppressor. If you are going into the NFA registry, go in like you mean it.

To clear that shroud I think you would still have 10-11 inches of barrel, so subsonic ammo would definitely be needed to get benefit of the suppressor.

daschnoz
July 19, 2010, 10:06
Originally posted by Nightops
If you are going to SBR it, you should thread the barrel too. Then get a suppressor. If you are going into the NFA registry, go in like you mean it.

To clear that shroud I think you would still have 10-11 inches of barrel, so subsonic ammo would definitely be needed to get benefit of the suppressor.

Already thought about that...

JOHN E
July 22, 2010, 19:58
I contacted the manufacturer and they recommended that it would be much easier to convert the pistol to SBR. Guess the barrel would be a bitch to remove to do the job "right" and with the pistol version you're getting an original chrome lined barrel.

My Form 1 should be approved by the end of the month. The weld is on the inside in three neat little places, looks to be about an hour job with a dremel tool.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/548/PPS43_001.jpg

daschnoz
July 23, 2010, 06:11
Well crap - I wish I knew this BEFORE I bought mine.

JOHN E
December 20, 2010, 22:48
I forgot to post a picture!

http://www.hunt101.com/data/584/stamp_014.jpg

Much better as a rifle.

Hollis Wood
March 12, 2011, 09:31
I wonder what they have done with the trigger mechanisim on those? Looks original from outside appearances.

From what I have read, alot of 870 triggers are used for the home builds. I have a kit but haven't ventured into it yet.

SBR sure would be nice there. Ugly with the long barrel.